Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding new exciting music?

Default Finding new exciting music?

I am getting a little bored with my music collection and was wondering how you peeps find new music? I don't listen to the radio, don't own or watch a TV, or leave the house much, so I really need to find some new music somehow? I would like to have music going on in the background when i work. As I am sitting out the Brexit thing for an upgrade, so I am limited to my bedroom atm in a 2 bed house, so perhaps a TV with a music chanel on, or internet radio might be a good idea?

I recently rediscovered a few bands, like Therapy, Faith no more and such like from my youth as I typed in bands that sound like .... which worked wonders so maybe a more pro active approach is in order? I dream for a large house with a separate office/workshop space that I can call my own nowadays. it was so lovely when it was little old me in my house LOL.

Any personal favourites would be great. I know Soundcloud & Spotify are popular. Also any non advert (even paid for) music TV channels with chart and also different obscure artists would be really helpful. There must be something out there, where you can skip from the top 20 to the heavy metal chart and then to country classics etc. etc.

- sorry I meant exciting in the title.
    Last edited by yourdj; 28-07-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    - sorry I meant exciting in the title.
    It was funnier as it was, Toby. Fixed it for you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well, that's a new one. A DJ that doesn't listen to the radio... One bit of advice I had from a "DJ'ing for dummies" book when I first started - expose yourself to as much music as you possibly can. You'll never have listened to it all, you'll never remember every good song out there and you'll never keep your knowledge current. Part of the reason I like getting playlists from customers is that they can include little gems that I recognise instantly but would never have known the artist or track name.

Radio is a good start. Pretty much every UK radio station now streams online and you can buy Wifi connected speakers that can stream off the net without any other equipment. There are obviously some non-commercial stations as well. Spotify is Ok (and there is the premium version without ads) and there are now a whole host of competing services in the streaming space (google for the full, ever changing list). I seem to spend a lot of time on Amazon Music these days (mobile/tablet app) as I subscribe to Amazon Prime for £79.99 a year and get unlimited ad-free streaming (as well as movies and shows on the TV, free premium delivery and a couple of Kindle book rentals a month). Amazon Music have a whole load of playlists and "stations" (which are basically playlists that change all the time) that are themed by genre/decade and can be handy to listen to.

Julian

P.S. I bet you have some regular and recurring conversations with TV licensing if you don't own a TV...
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I don't listen to the radio, don't own or watch a TV, or leave the house much, so I really need to find some new music somehow?
    I have three suggestions that are so obvious, you'll end up kicking yourself.

I watch 4 Music on Freeview, or listen to Kiss... won't miss out on anything that's new and upbeat that way

Plus 4Music do a lot of themed shows, like the 40 biggest summer party anthems - which always throws up a few forgotten tunes.

I can't stand music radio. There's not enough music & too much yackety yack.

So I catch up by going through playlists of stations & DJ shows and charts. Click to hear a clip or search for the title on YouTube. That keeps me fairly up to date.

It's no use for upcoming material like wot da kidz are into though. Lean & Dab being an example of some dross I missed recently. And you thought Silento was awful...

I agree with toby , I don't listen to the radio , of watch the music channels on sky etc.
    I have over 30000 tracks , but in the course of a year , i doubt if i play more than 400 different songs.
    The reason is that most of the gigs I do , people want to hear and dance to something they know , however i do look at youtube music videos a lot , but even then its for the priceless old gems that I had forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    And you thought Silento was awful...
    Yes I do.....

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Toby, you've ONLY JUST DISCOVERED Therapy? and Faith No More???
    Blimey! (I have all of their stuff!)

2 of my favourite bands from back in the day!
    (My second band were nearly signed to Therapy's label in the early 90's but none of us had the aspirations to go any further with our music).

Get yourself a DAB radio or listen to internet radio / podcasts. That's where you'll find some decent music.
    I am forever updating my catalogue when I hear something that I may have long forgotten about and am always looking at those box sets of 80's 12" versions and remixes to see if there's anything I haven't got.

I do this mainly for myself and not for Disco work but some of it works for both.
    That Christine & The Queens track (Tilted) is a great tune and nice for early on at any function.

I only recently got that DNCE track (Cake by the Ocean) because someone requested it and I'd totally missed it. It's a floor filler for me every time.

I don't listen to the radio, internet radio or have music TV on in the background. I generally put my entire collection on shuffle every day when I am working at home and it is very eclectic to say the least.

Interesting replies so far.
    Jules, I bet you're surprised how many of us don't routinely listen to the radio. Ken Bruce is just about my only exception.
    Benny, please don't suggest kicking Toby, we've had far too much of that lately.
    Daryll, we're not a million miles apart.

Between customer requests, written and oral and things that come up on here, I muddle through. CD Pool does most of the work for me nowadays.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    P.S. I bet you have some regular and recurring conversations with TV licensing if you don't own a TV...
    Going TVless was a breath of fresh air 9 years ago, i have never looked back. Ex took it LOL.

Yes their letter are getting on my nerves, I have a 10 page document to hand the guy when he comes round as the letters are borderline offensive. I don't have a contract with the BBC and do not agree with paying for such a dated licensing system (especially as i don't have a TV / watch the BBC). If there was a subscription service for the history documentaries & homes under the hammer, i would pay for that!! Not the whole lot. Plenty of websites on this so lets leave it there.

I just don't like watching TV shows, especially anything with adverts the News or trashy entertainment (Eastenders,Big brother). Personal preference really.

I DO have a Netflix subscription, its a shame there is not a music channel on that or something?

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I can't stand music radio. There's not enough music & too much yackety yack.
    Thats another thing - the radio in my car gets turned off after 5 mins with adverts, people talking crap or just really poor music.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Toby, you've ONLY JUST DISCOVERED Therapy? and Faith No More???
    Blimey! (I have all of their stuff!)

I generally put my entire collection on shuffle every day when I am working at home and it is very eclectic to say the least.
    I recently rediscovered a few bands, like Therapy, Faith no more
    I loved it the first time round, I had forgotten about them (kind of) I have the CD's somewhere?

Having tracks on random is a good one, although I constantly listen to stuff i have and have a very varied selection and know most the tracks on there, but it helps.

What I think i need is a dedicated service on in the background, where I can access all sorts of music, especially the chart which can also show music videos. that way I can get more idea of artists and whats going Dan with da kids. I have a TV screen and several laptops/ipad so between them something can be achieved.
    Last edited by yourdj; 01-08-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/