Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadies

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Well I need to explain a few things, and sorry to go a bit off subject..........
    My health has gone down the pan since april , I am convinced that St richard's Hospital in Chichester has enough X-rays of my chest to wall paper a ward....lol
    I have sarcoidosis on my lungs , now some people can go through their lives with this condition and never realise it , murphy's law says I am the odd one out.
    Feel for you Daryll I was diagnosed with it about 12 years ago, back and forth to hospital for 18 months of lung function tests and X-rays and an MRI. I came to accept that aside from doing my best to avoid people with colds I knew it would just take me an extra week to recover

I have always used a assistant ,and i have just had my second stroke from doing to much i really do appreciate the help at the moment i have two so they can have nights off .one is only 13 and the other is 16 both are very keen to learn all aspects of the job and they get paid £ 40.00 per night for local and up to £ 60.00 if there is some traveling .Never had any trouble finding them but i find the youngsters are best and though the money is not great it not to bad for your first job.

Sorry to hear about your health Daryll, time like these make you reevaluate things and good to see you still have a positive mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I pay him £25 a night
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._Wage_Act_1998

To be honest that amount is just extracting the urine. It is no wonder people look down on this industry with things like that going on.

cue the - 'but he is learning and in training excuses' My son is 16 and gets 4 times that amount just for helping out on a Photo Booth and even I pay him more than that when he helps me out.
    Last edited by ppentertainments; 08-08-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I pay him £25 a night, but I would say £50 would be a good figure if you want a proper roadie.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

To be honest that amount is just extracting the urine. It is no wonder people look down on this industry with things like that going on.
    " The labourer is worthy of his hire".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

My current roadies are Mrs. B and/or my 14 year old nephew (well, the latter during the holidays and the odd Saturday night gig, assuming his school work is all up to date).

I used to have a list of people I could call on to help me, but progressively they have become more and more a pain in the backside. I like things done a certain way and I like it done quickly.

My nephew gets £20 in his back pocket for every gig and another £20 goes into a savings account that I set up for him years ago. If he still wants to help out when he turns 16, then obviously his pay will increase dramatically. I've just been very wary of giving a 14 year old too much money. I think £20 is a good amount for that age - it's a lot of money for him.

As for Mrs. B, she get's £20 per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    My current roadies are Mrs. B and/or my 14 year old nephew (well, the latter during the holidays and the odd Saturday night gig, assuming his school work is all up to date).

I used to have a list of people I could call on to help me, but progressively they have become more and more a pain in the backside. I like things done a certain way and I like it done quickly.

My nephew gets £20 in his back pocket for every gig and another £20 goes into a savings account that I set up for him years ago. If he still wants to help out when he turns 16, then obviously his pay will increase dramatically. I've just been very wary of giving a 14 year old too much money. I think £20 is a good amount for that age - it's a lot of money for him.

As for Mrs. B, she get's £20 per hour.
    I see some of you are employing/working with minors --are there any CRB ( or whatever its called now ) type implications?

Just wondered ?

Eee I remember back in t' day, when all a roadie needed for payment was half a pint of flat coke (that tasted a bit like TCP) and a lift 'ome.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    I see some of you are employing/working with minors
    If they aren't related, there are quite a lot of rules to do with working if you are under 16. You aren't allowed to work after 7pm for example...

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    If they aren't related, there are quite a lot of rules to do with working if you are under 16. You aren't allowed to work after 7pm for example...

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment
    Damn I bet they've even got rules against sending under 16s up on overhead truss gantries to do rigging too!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Damn I bet they've even got rules against sending under 16s up on overhead truss gantries to do rigging too!
    Put a bike helmet on them. They'll be fine.