Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadies

Default Roadies

I can really see the benefits of having a roadie.

However, my biggest fear is they won't respect my equipment as much as I do when setting up / taking down.

But there's lots I could do if I had assistance.

So, a few questions if you have a roadie:

1: How useful are they?
    2: How much do you pay on average?
    3: Where do you find one?

Do they tend to stick around - or do you have to keep replacing them?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

They don't last forever. Eventually you have to take the decision to end their suffering. Only trouble is, vets fees for this are soaring.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well I need to explain a few things, and sorry to go a bit off subject..........
    My health has gone down the pan since april , I am convinced that St richard's Hospital in Chichester has enough X-rays of my chest to wall paper a ward....lol
    I have sarcoidosis on my lungs , now some people can go through their lives with this condition and never realise it , murphy's law says I am the odd one out.
    it is chest infection followed by 2 to 3 days of good health , followed by yet another chest infection , I have just got over a common cold , in the past 24 to 48 hours following a cold and I was as right as rain , not this time
    the cold has gone to be replaced with another chest infection , I took the decision to have a roadie , a local lad who loves his music , to the point of making suggestion`s to me ( we all have a mental block now and again)
    He really is worth his weight in gold , so stairs and long carries are no longer a problem , if there is such a thing as a typical venue , we can end at midnight and be packed up and on the road in 20 minutes.
    Time for a bit of trumpet blowing...................I love this job , and I like to thing I am good at it , so I am not letting a health issue get in the way.
    I have been forced to give up my day job as a painter and decorator , a recommendation from my doctor , something to do with dust and fumes (despite wearing a mask) , so I splashed out for my hackney licence , and I am a taxi driver.
    ( Fantastic.....as the go compare ad goes)Problem being , the busy times for the taxi`s is friday and Saturday night..........er that's when the disco`s are , so I just do day shifts , money is less but my chest loves me... , and now I realise that money is not the be all and end all of life , and as a side note , typing this at 08:25 in the morning , the sun is shining, all I can see out the window is the south downs , and the sound of bird song , any one care to put a price on that.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

The guy who comes out with me has been with me since the age of 15 and is now a very good DJ (he won the NADJ first award thingy at Pro Mobile). I would say his benefit in order of preference is:

1: company
    2: quick set up and great for all day equipment management
    3: knowledge of music and help during the set
    4: backup should something happen
    5: someone to boss about and feel superior.

Unfortunately he is getting very busy with his own work, I don't think I will find another replacement. I put an ad in a professional recruitment site and either got complete muppets, thinking it would be a walk in the park, or over qualified people with music degrees etc. I pay him £25 a night, but I would say £50 would be a good figure if you want a proper roadie. I pay him £50 for the Photo Booth and £75 for all day. £100 all day and with Photo Booth, which is not a lot with my fees, depends on affordability. If your charging £250 then £25 would be more realistic.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    and now I realise that money is not the be all and end all of life , and as a side note , typing this at 08:25 in the morning , the sun is shining, all I can see out the window is the south downs , and the sound of bird song , any one care to put a price on that.

Daryll
    Not possible. I know where you're coming from. ( Except I don't look out over the South Downs, obviously )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

a local lad who loves his music
    Daryll
    Thats what you want. The last thing is someone who looks bored all night.
    My guy is phenomenal on what he has picked up. In many respects he outstripped me a year ago.
    I always like to keep him on his toes though and surprise him every so often.

To add my roadie is my best friend, god father to my son and an all round great confidant.
    Being 19, he is very ahead of his times.

Any one care to put a price on that.
    £00.00 - http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way
    £15.95 - http://birdworld.co.uk/times-and-prices/

Hope your health improves.
    Last edited by yourdj; 08-08-2016 at 08:03 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Daryll, sorry to hear about the health situation mate. It makes me appreciate the bookings you cover for me much more.
    I've never had a 'roadie'. It's just not the way I work. I prefer to do everything myself where possible.
    There have been times (this past week and a half) where I'd have been better off having one due to a dodgy back but I just get on with it.

I think Daryll summed it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I can really see the benefits of having a roadie.

However, my biggest fear is they won't respect my equipment as much as I do when setting up / taking down.

But there's lots I could do if I had assistance.

So, a few questions if you have a roadie:

1: How useful are they?
    2: How much do you pay on average?
    3: Where do you find one?

Yes the rate of pay is always the issue--generally you get what.......you know the rest.

I havent yet had to resort to a roadie because by deliberately avoiding venues with stairs (unless a lift available) difficult access and very quick turnarounds as found in Wedding Venues which I dont frequent really much these days

I also avoid sound limiters--( that keeps my blood pressure under control )

I tend to do some enquiries about venues I dont know and the internet is your friend--unlike years ago when you could not find much out about anything unless by word of mouth.

Ah yes didnt you know about that flight of 34 stairs.

I would say in reply firstly try if possible to work the business around your circumstances as Darren obviously has--and myself--maybe downsize heavy equipment if lugging stuff around is the issue--Im not convinced a roadie is much use to you other than the physical lifting and rigging aspects of the job which when you reach the age of Peter and myself MIGHT be an issue.

Incoming fitness update from Peter.

We have plenty of experience here as my sons Wild West Business HAS TO HAVE several Olympic sized weightlifters for some gigs.

It involves heavy lifting, in awful conditions outdoors and is really only physically demanding--unless you consider plugging in the mains and running a shooting gallery requires entry level MENSA qualifications.

The rate these guys get paid is £8 per hour usually and dont forget George Osborns idea of increasing min wage will impact.

BUT its door to door so if you have an early set up and a late finish getting home 3am ( as I did Saturday) means maybe 12 hours so £50 goes nowhere im afraid.

Saturday I took one of these guys in my Galaxy /Trailer to the gig and he ran a Shooting Gallery--while i did the Music, Lights and Dancing--he got paid over £100 for the whole thing by my son who was employing him.

Some people pay a lower rate when in the van ( ie travelling) but min wage increase will wreck that.

Most of my sons temps are only TEMPORARY and probably wont last long--2 years--by which time other things come along--you could get someone interested in learning the business to work for you at low rates BUT AT ALL TIMES you are subject to Minimum Wage legislation AND you would need Employers Liability Insurance UNLESS they are immediate family.

The other problem with people who dont get paid well is they cry off for various unlikely reasons just when you need them--after all they arent losing much---its a general problem so you need several on tap just in case---it happens here quite frequently.

We advertised in the local shops and did find some useful people--they in turn knew other people like students and people in part time work which is where you will probably find them.

Hope some of these actual facts might be useful.
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 08-08-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Daryll, sorry to hear about the health situation mate. It makes me appreciate the bookings you cover for me much more.
    I've never had a 'roadie'. It's just not the way I work. I prefer to do everything myself where possible.
    There have been times (this past week and a half) where I'd have been better off having one due to a dodgy back but I just get on with it.

I think Daryll summed it up nicely.
    Yes its a shame more people in this Country dont have Darylls attitude and get on with it--

I have used members of the family previously, daughters and nephews, who were grateful to earn the money. However, that supply dried up and I did try one son of a friend. He got "a better job" and only worked two gigs.

I now work on my own and enjoy setting up (if given enough time) but do miss the help once the last record has finished.