Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
Thanks, gents.

It's full manual mode. I think (DISCLAIMER: Workman blaming his tools) it is a case of the fact that the camera and lens doesn't deal with low light fantastically well (I maxed at 400 ISO, with most being 200 for this particular gig), hence why I keep eyeing up the 5D. What would you suggest?
It may be the camera/lens. What settings are you using and kit do you have? I would stick with a more entry level first and get to grips with that. Its a bit like the bedroom DJ getting an all singing and dancing set of decks before he can even mix. A 5d is also very expensive and you probably wont use any of the features.

I can get half decent photos with my 1,100d (not a great DSLRT) and f3.5 kit lens without a flash. Have to be on at least 2,500 ISO and a shutter speed of 1/80th. The withe 70d and any one of my 2.8 lenses are fine without flash, but it takes a much better photo with a fill light. Every single one of the photographers I recommend use flash and most also off camera flash too for FD/evening. Increasing the light and decreasing settings drastically improves the photo. I was shooting at 800 ISO & 1/250 shutter last night. I had a horrible Yongnuo flash so it could have done with a diffuser to soften the light (bit harsh). Its not a great photo, but this is good enough for Facebook etc. Shows everyone having fun.

Name:  IMG_0276 copy.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  64.8 KB