Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Hanging up my headphones

Default Hanging up my headphones

I've got to the stage where I've had enough of DJing and it's time to hang up my headphones. I still enjoy the setting up and making a venue look as good as possible, but I'm finding it hard to keep up with the music now. So I'm looking for someone young to take over the DJ side, Student gigs are my main business and I think they would prefer someone younger. If you know anyone in the Cambridge area let me know, or if you have any ideas of how to find someone or where to advertise. I've met a lot of student DJs but it's very hard to find one who will play a varied selection and not just their own favourites. All equipment is top notch so it's a good opportunity for someone.

Thanks in advance

I got out of Dj-ing for a few years so before I started again I went around local events, clubs etc to try and get back into the groove.
    I took a pen and note pad and wrote down what people were dancing to.
    Oddly it wasn't too much different from what I was playing in the late 1970's !

After tonight Tim, I'm starting to feel the same way (I'm just down the A10 from you in Ely by the way).

Well and truly out of my depth on that one (see the Good Gig Bad Gig thread for the gory details).

I don't know of anyone to hand, but I'll keep an ear out. It seems I'm hearing of more and more people getting out of the game at the moment (you're the second in Cambs in the past couple of months and the fourth this year).

Quote Originally Posted by tc1ooo View Post
    I've got to the stage where I've had enough of DJing and it's time to hang up my headphones. I still enjoy the setting up and making a venue look as good as possible, but I'm finding it hard to keep up with the music now. So I'm looking for someone young to take over the DJ side, Student gigs are my main business and I think they would prefer someone younger. If you know anyone in the Cambridge area let me know, or if you have any ideas of how to find someone or where to advertise. I've met a lot of student DJs but it's very hard to find one who will play a varied selection and not just their own favourites. All equipment is top notch so it's a good opportunity for someone.

Thanks in advance
    I'm in Milton Keynes, If I were a little closer I'd definitely be interested.

It seems hard to find any young DJs who are interested. In ye olde days when I was a youngster I would have snapped this up. I wonder what has changed.

DJing certainly changed my life.
    I had a pretty sad life struggling to pick up girls.
    Once I was DJing they came up to me to chat.

I saw a sign on a local disco looking for apprentice DJ's and asked them about it.
    They gave me an easy small gig to start with and that went well.
    Never looked back after that.
    Sadly had to give it up due to not being fit enough to carry all the gear in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    DJing certainly changed my life.
    I had a pretty sad life struggling to pick up girls.
    Once I was DJing they came up to me to chat.

I saw a sign on a local disco looking for apprentice DJ's and asked them about it.
    They gave me an easy small gig to start with and that went well.
    Never looked back after that.
    Sadly had to give it up due to not being fit enough to carry all the gear in and out.
    I first heard mixing when I went to an under 18s night at a local niteclub which was on sunday nights. I had to try it! New double deck systems were too expensive for me so I built my own with some old rubbish turntables. The youngsters these days don't know how easy they have it

Quote Originally Posted by tc1ooo View Post
    I first heard mixing when I went to an under 18s night at a local niteclub which was on sunday nights. I had to try it! New double deck systems were too expensive for me so I built my own with some old rubbish turntables. The youngsters these days don't know how easy they have it
    I remember when I first started in 1976 with double decks and thousands of vinyl records to carry into each gig.
    We often had 3 or 4 DJ's on so that lightened the load a lot.