Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Van sign writing security

Default Van sign writing security

I've looked at a number of posts where people think that having a van sign written is a security risk, ie, there may be a higher chance of the van being broken in to because the sign writing highlights what is inside the van.

So for this post, no speculation, just facts please:

1: Have you had your van broken in to (even if it was an attempted break in and nothing was stolen). Was your van sign written or not?

2: Is your van sign written? If so, have you had any attempted break ins to the vans?

Hopefully this will pull out some facts, rather than assumptions

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Personally never happened to me, but I have a friend who lost about £11k worth of kit after someone knicked his van three weeks after it was sign written. Whether the sign writing had anything to do with it, we'll never know for certain.

And for the opposite view, my mate recently had his van stolen with three sets of gear in and it wasn't sign written.

Con:
    Easy to identify which van contains the DJ equipment (if it does) which may make your van a target.

Pro:
    You have a unique van, if somebody steals it they would need to be quick and clever to avoid getting caught as it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

My van has been signwritten for 4 years and I've not seen anything to suggest an interest has been taken in my van, however I am very keen on security and therefore it's not a attractive prospect for a amateur thieves.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Serious answer - I don't have my van sign written because I don't want everyone to know what I do.

We have a static caravan where I spend most of my summer and occasionally have to take the van. Everyone on the caravan site (which has a pub attached) thinks I work at the DWP
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I've mentioned this before.

When I lived in Basingstoke my van was parked around the corner and out of sight and it worried me at times because if I was doing 2 nights in a row I would generally leave the equipment in the van apart from my main playout system. Thankfully nothing ever happened to any of the vans I had that I parked there in 20 years. It was a quiet area really although everybody knew what I did for a living (I had a few bookings from people who lived in the area that knew what I did because they'd seen me loading and unloading and popped over and asked if I was free on such and such a date).

I never thought of having the van sign written back then because of the fact I was parked around the corner.

What I DID do was design some magnetic signs and I'd put them on the van when I was driving to and from bookings, to customer meetings or when I was parked at a wedding fair.

Where I am living now, it is a quiet little village and my van is literally parked on my drive. Not that I would do it but I could leave the equipment in the van with the doors unlocked because it is very unlikely anything would happen. Because where I was before wasn't ideal, I'd tend to leave some stuff in the van more often than not. Now, I have a massive insulated shed where I store it all and the van backs right up to it so there is no chance anybody could grab my stuff....(I still keep my main playout system in my office along with a pair of Mackies because of the current drop in temperature - that's another thread probably).

As for stuff getting nicked - I know quite a few people actually that have unfortunately been victims of theft and I can't imagine what it must feel like going to your lock up or van and finding everything gone.
    I know of one guy who was DJing regularly at a pub. He'd DJ on a Friday and Saturday and everybody knew that he'd leave his equipment there overnight.
    This happened about 10 years ago but he'd done the Friday night and when he went back on the Saturday he was told by the landlord that the pub had been broken into. The strange thing was, apparently there were no signs of a break in but the equipment had gone.
    This was a friend of mine actually and he was told he was no longer required that day but the pub didn't get anyone else in to DJ but continued to have Discos. It was all very suspect but my friend couldn't prove anything as the landlord was a very dodgy bloke.

I have never left gear in a van over night.
    It was always unloaded at he end of the night into a locked garage.
    In later years I kept it in the house as that was more secure.

I either used a car or car and trailer for moving gear.
    Neither were sign written.

Just to add, I never leave equipment in the van - but the potential burglar doesn't know what's in the van - I'd rather not have the hassle of finding the van broken in to, even though the van was empty.

A few years ago when I was DJing regularly at a lovely pub in a village around 15 miles outside Basingstoke, there was a spate of thefts.
    People were getting pulled over in their nice cars by some randoms. They were beaten and left on the side of the road as the randoms sped off in their cars.
    I was working for a friend full-time back then and driving his sign written van.
    It was a Friday night and I had just finished. I'd been pulled over by the police 2 weeks on the trot for an on the spot breath test and on this occasion I thought it was the 3rd week in a row.

A car flashed its headlights behind me and I pulled over, thinking it was the police but when I saw 2 guys approaching either side of the van I had a thought that I may be a victim. I know some of you may be thinking that it could have been plain clothes officers in an unmarked car but I didn't think that at the time. My initial thought was that it didn't look right so I put my foot down and drove off. I didn't get followed so I guess I was right but that was pretty scary.

I don't think the car-jacking thing happens much these days but it just goes to show that some people don't care if you're parked up or not.

Several times I caught people hanging about my van considering to break into it or not. Definitely considering breaking into it! One couple of lads had a staffy or similar and soon started walking away with malice when i looked pretty hacked off with them, but what the did not realise as I returned was I had a rotweiller & a german shepherd in the back of mine, so would have got a shock.

Vans = might av tools to sell daun da pub mush
    And with DJ signs = even more reason to break in.

This is one of a very few times I ventured in to southampton, so depends where you intend to store or park you van, when loaded. My Carpark at home is pretty much crime free in 10 years. Try looking at a magnetic one if your not sure as you can take that off.
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-10-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/