Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Customer wants to pay by credit card.

  1. #1
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,102

    Default Customer wants to pay by credit card.

    But I don't take card payments. Can she simply " BACS" it to me from her credit card? Is there any other way of doing it? Or is the only workable option Paypal, and I stand the commission?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  2. #2
    yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    But I don't take card payments. Can she simply " BACS" it to me from her credit card? Is there any other way of doing it? Or is the only workable option Paypal, and I stand the commission?
    I have used this in the past and got something else, which was better, but never used it and can't even remember its name?

    https://selz.com

    i think I would be tempted to use Paypal and charge them the commission fee (2-3% should cover it). You will find that they can suddenly come round and pay cash, send a cheque, go to a bank and do it, or spend about 30 seconds working out how to use online banking (which is the easiest thing I have ever come across).

    If they actually have a PayPal account, then they can also send you money as a gift, but not sure on the legal implications (for a one off I don't see it as a massive issue). I have just done this for a set of microphones on Facebook, lets hope he send them LOL.

    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees
    Last edited by yourdj; 26-09-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ | http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/

  3. #3
    Daryll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Harting, West sussex
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    I use this in the Taxi

    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mp...it-card-reader
    Works well , but you would need to pass on the transaction fee to the client
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Exeter, Devon
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Square, Stripe, Sum Up will all do this nicely.
    www.retrodisco.co.uk Mobile Disco and 80s Night Specialists, Devon

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    If they actually have a PayPal account, then they can also send you money as a gift, but not sure on the legal implications (for a one off I don't see it as a massive issue). I have just done this for a set of microphones on Facebook, lets hope he send them LOL.
    They don't need a PayPal account to send you a payment from a credit/debit card, but if its a business A/C you or I think they have, they can't do a family and friends commission free payment. A £70 transaction recently cost me just over £2.50 so it's not a real deterrent to taking a payment this way.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

    Disco 4 Hire

  6. #6
    Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Personally I use PayPal. Yes, it's a hell of a hit to take as far as their fees go, but it's cheaper and less hassle than merchant accounts and the associated fees with those. Plus with PayPal, they don't HAVE to have a PayPal account (they can just be used as a transaction gateway).

    As already mentioned, the cheapest (but slightly illegal) way is for them to just send a payment "as a friend or relation" to your email address (you'd need your own PayPal account of course for this to happen).

    I don't do enough business on cards to warrant the cost or the time of setting up merchant accounts (99% of mine is done via BACS).

    By the way, the passing on of the transaction fees will become illegal next year I'm afraid.

  7. #7
    Ezekiel 25:17 funkymook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Staines, Middlesex
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Personally I use PayPal. Yes, it's a hell of a hit to take as far as their fees go, but it's cheaper and less hassle than merchant accounts and the associated fees with those. Plus with PayPal, they don't HAVE to have a PayPal account (they can just be used as a transaction gateway).

    As already mentioned, the cheapest (but slightly illegal) way is for them to just send a payment "as a friend or relation" to your email address (you'd need your own PayPal account of course for this to happen).

    I don't do enough business on cards to warrant the cost or the time of setting up merchant accounts (99% of mine is done via BACS).

    By the way, the passing on of the transaction fees will become illegal next year I'm afraid.
    There’s a lot of discussion about suppliers asking for Friends and Family payments on the various FB wedding forums after people have been caught out by unscrupulous con artists with no avenue to reclaim anything from paypal that I really wouldn’t suggest it, for some it’s a massive danger signal and could lose you the booking (I certainly wouldn’t book any business who wanted me to pay like that). And if they’re not your friend or family then you shouldn’t consider it anyway.

  8. #8
    yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    They don't need a PayPal account to send you a payment from a credit/debit card
    Yea, I use the button for my HDA group and people can pay by card if they want. The membership is £30 and I end up with £28.50. Miles easier, especially with subscription.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ | http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/

  9. #9
    Web Guru Marc J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Stripe is easy to setup, no monthly fees and low transaction fees (1.4% + 20p).

    Example with amount in URL: https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/200
    Example with customer entered amount: https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/

    Both of the above add the surcharge automatically, but that can be disabled. Hope you don't mind me uploading the demo to your site! It'd need a better quality logo IMHO...

    All it needs is an account at Stripe, and a payment page on your site. They do insist on the page being hosted on a secure connection (SSL), which would be free if you wanted to use a LetsEncrypt cert (the examples above use this), but a paid cert is (IMHO) better when taking payments.

    Payment is normally in your bank account in 7 days.

  10. #10
    yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Stripe is easy to setup, no monthly fees and low transaction fees (1.4% + 20p).
    I think it was something like this I looked at and signed up for.
    I wanted something that would integrate with WP properly.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ | http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •