Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know how I responded, just wondered how others would.

Default I know how I responded, just wondered how others would.

Hi Tony.

I’ve just transferred you the deposit. Before for I send the booking form back, I hope you don't mind me asking but would it be at all possible to reduce the price at all if we only booked your services for three hours? Just asking as money is a bit tight just before Xmas but if that's not possible, not to worry.

Best wishes,

Dear Sir,/Madam,
    While I appreciate that by cutting the time I would be working less hours and finishing earlier, unfortunately this would have no effect whatsoever on my fixed costs, ie fuel, Music purchases, equipment purchase and maintenance, etc. Therefore, in the scheme of things, this would not allow me to make a significant reduction in my fee, and as I'm sure you will understand, While Christmas is an expensive time of year for us all, it's also a time which provides much of my annual income.

Then you offer a token fiver or so off, stick to the price, or chuck in something ( a couple of uplighters, gobo projection ) for free. Hope that's food for thought.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I may be on my own here, but they are fishing for a discount and don't expect one really by the tone.
    I would add uplighters as per above, then the 'crap friday' mentality client will be happy.
    They have paid the booking fee already so stand to loose that if you say 'Nope' and they go elsewhere.
    I bet they are doing this with every other supplier, ask them when you get to the wedding.

Bet this is the sort of person that sells millions of things on Facebay for £2. just go to a charity shop you cheap skate!

Seriously using Christmas as an excuse!! Book your wedding in February if its going to be such a problem, what the hell does their christmas have to do with you? I might go to Tesco and try and get a discount on my turkey in that case or ask my mechanic to reduce the cost of the work he is doing at the moment as I have to host Christmas at my new expensive house this year.

The worst I had was 'my parents will have to sell the house soon (this is a multi million pound house in the New Forest) and its the last party we will have there' (well to do wedding in the grounds), can we have a discount? Er no.

And on que here is the video, bet they all still live there!!

Last edited by yourdj; 25-11-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    The worst I had was 'my parents will have to sell the house soon (this is a multi million pound house in the New Forest) and its the last party we will have there' (well to do wedding in the grounds), can we have a discount? Er no.
    You don't become a millionaire by spending all your money

Many discos do sell on an 'hourly rate', so your client may be comparing based on that.

Of course, if you would have quoted differently for a three hour disco, then give her the price that you would have quoted for a 3 hour disco.

Let's say you're charging £400 for the 4 hour disco. In her head, she may think a 3 hour disco will be £300.

So why not explain that the disco isn't priced on an hourly rate, but you're happy to give a £25 discount for the shorter time.

At that point, the client will realise it's worth just paying the full amount.

Equally, should you be charging a lower fee (as many seem to do), then if it were £150 for the 4 hours, simply offer a £10 discount for the 3 hour option.

Essentially, you're answering her question, giving her what she's asked for, but to a point where she'll realise the best value is sticking with the 4 hour option.

There's no 'right or wrong' for this.

But be careful with how you respond... if you offer a £10 discount for a 3 hour disco, then she could come back and say great, we'll have you for 8 hours, for just £40 extra (4 hour longer event than quoted).

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Dear Sir,/Madam,
    While I appreciate that by cutting the time I would be working less hours and finishing earlier, unfortunately this would have no effect whatsoever on my fixed costs, ie fuel, Music purchases, equipment purchase and maintenance, etc. Therefore, in the scheme of things, this would not allow me to make a significant reduction in my fee, and as I'm sure you will understand, While Christmas is an expensive time of year for us all, it's also a time which provides much of my annual income.

Then you offer a token fiver or so off, stick to the price, or chuck in something ( a couple of uplighters, gobo projection ) for free. Hope that's food for thought.
    Wot our learned friend above says!

I'm afraid my price is my price. It's not an hourly rate and having me for less hours doesn't get a reduction. As Peter says, it doesn't reduce the overheads and I guarantee that if you went to your supermarket or choice and asked for a discount on the turkey because it's Christmas....you'd be laughed out of the store.

Personally, once I have agreed a price with someone I wouldn't then try and change it.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Many discos do sell on an 'hourly rate', so your client may be comparing based on that.
    Yep actually as usual I missed that. Yes they have a point. My pricing i for 4 or 5 hours. If someone came back to me after paying and mentioned they only had it for 4 then I would certainly reduce it a bit, especially for 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Murphy View Post
    Personally, once I have agreed a price with someone I wouldn't then try and change it.
    I had a bit of an issue recently. I booked a hire car from a local guy near my dad in Spain. Agreed a price and I paid. I then looked at the prices on his website and it was quite a bit dearer than that. He was trying it on if you ask me, so I politely asked him to clarify the prices. WOW he went mential over email with !!!!!!!! after each sentence and said "pick up you money form the office, good luck with Airport hire". I was super nice to him after and he blocked all correspondence. It threw me off a bit as I did not get the hostility.

Any how we caught him off guard at his place and he told me to come back the next day as he was not expecting me (a gated house where he keeps the cars). Well i waited for over an hour and he was not there. I managed to find his actual house (I am good like that) and paid him and his wife a visit. He was OK and gave me the money but told me 'now go' in a hostile manner. I think this was the issue here (as per above), but I am still a bit confused about it all. Different folks different stokes I guess.

Well Karma ensued and we ended up booking with a great local company and they upgraded out Berlingo to a Vivario van, which was rather over kill, but we had tons of room on route to La Manga and Granada road trip. Also it worked out 60 Euros cheaper than the crappy little Hyandai he was renting us, which we would not have fitted in anyway.

My most boring pointless and non OP post this year but hey ho.
    Last edited by yourdj; 27-11-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Wot our learned friend above says!

I'm afraid my price is my price. It's not an hourly rate and having me for less hours doesn't get a reduction. As Peter says, it doesn't reduce the overheads and I guarantee that if you went to your supermarket or choice and asked for a discount on the turkey because it's Christmas....you'd be laughed out of the store.
    This. All day long. If I took a 2 hour booking on a Saturday night at a reduced rate I'd potentially be losing out on a higher fee 5 hour booking. So no, they want less time it's still the same price. If they want more time it's another ££ an hour. But that's just cos it's over 5 hours.

On the note of the above, if you do quote a price for 5 hours, of which anything shorter is still the same price, then make sure it's clear in your quote that you detail it as 'up to 5 hours'.

That way it's clear that it's a rate for anything up to 5 hours (so there's no discount for 4 hours) yet there's still an additional fee for anything beyond the 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    On the note of the above, if you do quote a price for 5 hours, of which anything shorter is still the same price, then make sure it's clear in your quote that you detail it as 'up to 5 hours'.

That way it's clear that it's a rate for anything up to 5 hours (so there's no discount for 4 hours) yet there's still an additional fee for anything beyond the 5 hours.
    Trust me...I had a good teacher

I already do.