Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cost of new website

Just to throw my 2 penneth worth in - it is a little more than 'just a website' and has involved months of planning, marketing and meetings with a web company but I have invested just over £4k on a site that will (hopefully) be ready to go live in the summer.

I nearly myself when was first told the amount, but the work in what they are doing, and advice given, seems to make it sound a reasonable risk and hopefully a great investment.

Similarly, I had a quote of £75 offering to 'do the same'
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Depens on Niche. If you website is service then it will not be costly if your website is ecommerce then it may be costly. By the way what website you need?

Hello people, as this is on topic can any of your web savvy people have a look at this and see if there are any problems or design flaws? I am not too happy with the look of the top, but its about half way through atm. GDPR has set them back and I think they hurried to get this to me. I have listed the following changes and problems, but the likes of Mark etc. would be able to spot more important issues.

I think its costing about £1,300 so I have a right to make sure its done properly and to my specification because as it stands at the moment, I could have knocked this up in a day with Wordpress templates and plugins.

http://dj-alliance.internetodirbtuves.lt

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  54.6 KB

My original brief:

Name:  MOCKUP1.1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  67.3 KB

About page: You can take the content from the old site, I assume that I can edit it some point in the future?

http://dj-alliance.co.uk/hampshire-dj/
    Video - use the same video I sent before, i will get a better one done at some point: https://vimeo.com/265612021

Pictures - pick a decent one from these. https://yourdj.smugmug.com/HDA-ABOUT-PHOTOS/n-Ps744r/ An image gallery of similar would be nice. It shows we are normal people that get along. The site is also there to encourage other DJ’s to work together or join the group.

Contact page. Just the form would suffice & a direct email.
    No phone number or address.

Like this: http://yourdj.co.uk/contact-your-dj-mobile-disco-today/

DJ info: Take your pick - you can just copy and paste: http://dj-alliance.co.uk/hampshire-mobile-dj-members/

Call to action at the bottom: “Looking for a good Hampshire mobile DJ? - Get in touch today”

With regards to the design, it's starting to look really nice, thanks for that. Would I be able to ask for a couple of design changes if possible?

1: Top section - Could the title text be in the blue and also the little logos too, I just think the top bit looks a bit bland at the moment as its lacking colours. See attached image.

I know it's not what i asked for, but would it be possible to put an image on the top and the video as a separate section like on Iggys site? Does not have to be interactive or a slider, just a really good photo. I really think the wedding couple imagery would make more of an initial impact for someone then to invest the time to sit though a video? Basically if you can make it look as nice as this then that would awesome. This is exactly what i am after: https://www.iggyweddingdj.com

2: I can’t remember what i wanted in the next section, but I think something location specific and what we do would make sense? Again the tag line would be the obvious option. It also ticks out main search phrases. Hampshire Mobile DJ

“Looking for a good Hampshire mobile DJ?
    You have come to the right place!

2: photo section - Move the get in touch with us to the right hand side if possible? I love this section. I guess we can change the photos after its finished, as I have said the couple photos would be ideal (like the one on Iggy site).

I guess its still in development, but the following issues occur on my iPhone and iPad:

video is aligned to the right on iPhone, seems to look OK on iPad as there is more space and the video sits next to it. A landscape video would look better, at the moment its portrait, but i guess this is just an example. Having said that I would prefer to have the video as a separate entity, as per the comments above. I can leave this up to you and your programming capability’s with the template etc?
    The logos and bullet points overlap each other on both devices.
    Contact section would be better if it was all one line as it seems to have cut some of the words. Its Latin mind you, but it would read better, its fine on the iPad, looks amazing, so just a phone issue. I have Lucky Orange and have noticed a massive increase in phones in the last year!! Mental.
    Have questions, get in touch is in the contact form (email section) on my iPhone and looks confusing. Again central would look better on mobile devices and too the right on laptops. Its currently aligned right on the iPad and central on the phone
    Maps fine, just me then on my MacBook.

Is this too 'exacting' Mark?
    Last edited by yourdj; 27-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Ojusvee06 View Post
    Depens on Niche. If you website is service then it will not be costly if your website is ecommerce then it may be costly. By the way what website you need?
    Hello Ojusvee. Good to have you here, but if you could pop across to the Newbies section and tell us a bit about yourself, your experience, the sort of discos you do and all that disco related stuff we talk about on here, that would be much appreciated, thanks.

If not, well some suspicious, cynical, mistrustful Old Gits might wonder if you were here for other purposes, which is frowned upon.

Toby, I think you've renamed Marc again. Unless we have a web wizard called Mark as well, but I think not.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Toby, I think you've renamed Marc again. Unless we have a web wizard called Mark as well, but I think not.
    Yes seems so. Sorry Merc
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If not, well some suspicious, cynical, mistrustful Old Gits might wonder if you were here for other purposes, which is frowned upon.
    Is that the sound of a hammer being polished I can hear?

I've just took a look and it's not displaying correctly on 'internet explorer' the video is much too large and the text is displaying on top of about half of it, it seems to display OK on Google Chrome though
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I would expect each member to have their own page - it doesn't look like that's currently the case.

It's also a one page website, which won't be ideal if you're running Google AdWords on it, as they won't be looking through many pages (there aren't any other pages).

Crucially, the copywriting is very poor, and won't help with the conversion rate. As things stand, I wouldn't want to list myself on it - is there a clear 'persona' who the websites is aimed at? Looks a bit generic for me.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Yes seems so. Sorry Merc

Hello people, as this is on topic can any of your web savvy people have a look at this and see if there are any problems or design flaws? I am not too happy with the look of the top, but its about half way through atm. GDPR has set them back and I think they hurried to get this to me. I have listed the following changes and problems, but the likes of Mark etc. would be able to spot more important issues.

I think its costing about £1,300 so I have a right to make sure its done properly and to my specification because as it stands at the moment, I could have knocked this up in a day with Wordpress templates and plugins.
    From http://internetodirbtuves.lt/ (translated): -

HOW IT WORKS

1. You select the theme from https://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

2. During the meeting, we plot the site structure, discuss the style, buy the theme. We agree where the site is hosted

3. We are preparing a guide on how to adjust the site, trigger photos to change / upload site texts

4. We pass the site to you.

5. You bring texts and photos to the site.

6. We launch the site to the public space
    Which begs the question, what are you paying them £1,300 for? They're saying, right there, that they'll do exactly what you can do yourself in a day. They've bought a £37 template (https://themeforest.net/item/argenta...theme/19081383) and done very little to it, IMHO.

1: Top section - Could the title text be in the blue and also the little logos too, I just think the top bit looks a bit bland at the moment as its lacking colours. See attached image.

I know it's not what i asked for, but would it be possible to put an image on the top and the video as a separate section like on Iggys site? Does not have to be interactive or a slider, just a really good photo. I really think the wedding couple imagery would make more of an initial impact for someone then to invest the time to sit though a video? Basically if you can make it look as nice as this then that would awesome. This is exactly what i am after: https://www.iggyweddingdj.com

2: I can’t remember what i wanted in the next section, but I think something location specific and what we do would make sense? Again the tag line would be the obvious option. It also ticks out main search phrases. Hampshire Mobile DJ

“Looking for a good Hampshire mobile DJ?
    You have come to the right place!

2: photo section - Move the get in touch with us to the right hand side if possible? I love this section. I guess we can change the photos after its finished, as I have said the couple photos would be ideal (like the one on Iggy site).

I guess its still in development, but the following issues occur on my iPhone and iPad:

video is aligned to the right on iPhone, seems to look OK on iPad as there is more space and the video sits next to it. A landscape video would look better, at the moment its portrait, but i guess this is just an example. Having said that I would prefer to have the video as a separate entity, as per the comments above. I can leave this up to you and your programming capability’s with the template etc?
    The logos and bullet points overlap each other on both devices.
    Contact section would be better if it was all one line as it seems to have cut some of the words. Its Latin mind you, but it would read better, its fine on the iPad, looks amazing, so just a phone issue. I have Lucky Orange and have noticed a massive increase in phones in the last year!! Mental.
    Have questions, get in touch is in the contact form (email section) on my iPhone and looks confusing. Again central would look better on mobile devices and too the right on laptops. Its currently aligned right on the iPad and central on the phone
    Maps fine, just me then on my MacBook.
    Changing colours and layout / alignment at each of Bootstrap's break points is easy enough, it's just CSS edits, and so they should be OK with that. You should always check on as many devices as you can, though, if you're only looking from a MacBook and iPhone / iPad there's a majority of devices that you're not even checking on, they could be editing it to look fine for you without worrying about other devices (think Windows and Android, i.e. most users).

Is this too 'exacting' Mark?
    They probably think so...