Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which controllers are currently recommended?

Sorry to sound grumpy but can we keep this on topic please gang?

With regard to the Gemini/Cortex I hadn't mentioned the Cortex, that was someone else, but I wouldn't consider that either - (a) it appears to just be yet another random digital controller as opposed to an all-in-one and (b) it's not exactly a major brand either is it.

I'll repeat myself... As mentioned in my OP, I need kit through which I can play digital files (from a Windows laptop as that's what it's already on, although I'd consider changing from Traktor LE to something else) plus CDs. My choice but that's what I'm after. Any more suggestions?

Even MOVING a file from one place to another constitutes a need for the blasted thing. See also, changing tag content is classed as format shifting.

Back on topic.. The MC6000 will probably fit your needs just fine as already stated.

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    Sorry to sound grumpy but can we keep this on topic please gang?
    I shall consider my wrist well and truly slapped! You'd think I'd know better, wouldn't you?

With regard to the Gemini/Cortex I hadn't mentioned the Cortex, that was someone else, but I wouldn't consider that either - (a) it appears to just be yet another random digital controller as opposed to an all-in-one and (b) it's not exactly a major brand either is it.

I'll repeat myself... As mentioned in my OP, I need kit through which I can play digital files (from a Windows laptop as that's what it's already on, although I'd consider changing from Traktor LE to something else) plus CDs. My choice but that's what I'm after. Any more suggestions?
    There is an American Audio range, which was discontinued a while ago. Linky I know someone who uses one, and it's fine.
    The Gemini/Cortex family don't offer a true all in one solution, and I checked out every one in my search.

My two pennorth is cheap option Numark, or pay more for Pioneer. I'm on record as being very anti Denon MC, it's the only make of controller I and colleagues have had problems with.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Excalibur - thanks for that, vaguely the sort of thing I could be interested in although I see they do a quad version which would be preferable for me, but are Numark any good nowadays?
    I've got a Mix Deck Quad if you're interested in 'as new condition' (even still got the plastic film on the screens) in a brand new heavy duty waterproof case fitted with a pressure relief valve) the case cost me £50 - £60 from memory. The only thing worth mentioning is one of the two small plastic knobs that are situated to the bottom left side of both decks directly above the reject button is missing, the spindle is perfectly OK, and can easily be turned with your fingers. I emailed a couple of spares suppliers to get a new one, unfortunately without success. For a person like yourself with the skill, and access to a small lathe, it would only take 15 mins or so to make one. The photo's I've posted are from the internet, If you are genuinely interested I'll take some of the actual item, but they won't show you anything different, other than the missing knob, it is as new. I'm looking for £400 for the player, PSU, 2 x License cards & codes, the new case, support device for an iPad and a few cables & odds and sods that come with it, I don't think have a manual, but it will be downloadable off the web. As for if Numark are reliable? The players I have in my hire stock are almost exclusively Numark CDMix Bluetooth, I've been hiring them out to all and sundry for years, if they weren't reliable I'd have found something better by now! can't speak for other peoples experience though. Before anyone asks, it's been used a few times by a friend of mind but it has never been out on hire, I bought it with a specific job in mind, which unfortunately never happened
    Name:  numark-mixdeck-quad-top.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  36.7 KBName:  numark-mixdeck-quad.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  54.7 KB
    Last edited by Pe7e; 08-06-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Thanks all, plenty to think about and investigate more. Pe7e - don't think that Numark is for me bu thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My two pennorth is cheap option Numark, or pay more for Pioneer. I'm on record as being very anti Denon MC, it's the only make of controller I and colleagues have had problems with.
    Denons new stuff is basically better Numark stuff now as its the same company.
    Bit like Skoda and VW.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I'm sure you've all been biting your nails anxiously waiting for an update...

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a secondhand Pioneer XDJ-R1 in flightcase. It's arrived, I've unpacked it and plugged it in and...

...now I've got to learn how to use it. Seems like it should be as close as I'm going to get for what I need, even if I'll occasionally need to plug a small external mixer in too and feed that into the aux if I need more channels for mics/musicians etc.

Thanks for your advice gang.

I'm sure you've all been biting your nails anxiously waiting for an update...

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a secondhand Pioneer XDJ-R1 in flightcase. It's arrived, I've unpacked it and plugged it in and...

...now I've got to learn how to use it. Seems like it should be as close as I'm going to get for what I need, even if I'll occasionally need to plug a small external mixer in too and feed that into the aux if I need more channels for mics/musicians etc.

Thanks for your advice gang.
    Good move.

I bet you sell that, go for a more advanced digital only unit in at least a year

You will wonder why you ever used those silver plastic things.

Assuming you use your new controller with a laptop that is.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I'll still advocate the Denon MC7000. A brilliant (if massive and heavy) beast of a machine with all the inputs you'll ever need.

Been using it for 8 months now and never missed a beat.

One day I'll have the balls to upgrade to the MC8000 and not need a laptop....one day....

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

One day I'll have the balls to upgrade to the MC8000 and not need a laptop.....
    No laptop, you say? Guess I'm ahead of the game yet again, then, having once more reinvented the wheel. Having tried loads of different backup systems recently, from as complicated as a VMS2/Laptop to as simple as a tablet,where space permits I'm now using a Numark DDS!

I had the chance to look at a VMS5 on Friday, and while it's a step forward from the 4 in some ways, it's not perfect. Ah well.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk