Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Another speaker related thread....

Default Not Another speaker related thread....

Basically for my larger gigs (150-200 max), my weapon of choice are my DXR15's which I love. But... (Smaller than 100 I'm using IMG stageline pak412, which I can just about handle)

With age, comes a bad back, and I'm beginning to struggle getting these beasts on and off tripods.

I do love the capability of these, but I'm considering what my options are for a replacement, i.e. lighter and easier to setup (less heavy lifting), suitable for crowds up to 200, good sound quality etc (compact would be nice).

At moment it's only window shopping, but judging on how my back is going, I don't think it will be too long before I need to sell the DXR's and get something easier on my body.

Just wondering what my options are (don't say roadies or retirement lol)

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Basically for my larger gigs (150-200 max),
    What sort of gigs are these? A wedding with 200 guests is different to an 18th party in a marquee...

And what percentage of gigs are over 100 people?

Gas lift speaker stands might make things a bit easier for a while (you don't have to lift them so high to get them on the poles?)

If you're looking for very capable, lightweight speakers, QSC K12's or K15's would be a good call (and they're not that heavy) and neither are the RCF ART &xx series (715, 735 & 745). The other suggestion would be to go for a line array type system as then you don't have to lift a lot in the air! FBT CS1000's and EV Evolve 50's are supposed to be very capable. I've also heard a pair of BOSE L1's in action and they're phenomenal for their size and weight.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    What sort of gigs are these? A wedding with 200 guests is different to an 18th party in a marquee...

And what percentage of gigs are over 100 people?

Larger gigs are usually family birthdays / weddings etc in large hotel rooms etc.

I probably do about 5 marquees a year, which again get the DXR's at the moment.

I've probably a 50/50 split between gigs over 100 and gigs under.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Gas lift speaker stands might make things a bit easier for a while (you don't have to lift them so high to get them on the poles?)

Julian
    I already use gas lift stands, and these are a great help, but it's in lifting on/off the lowered poles which is giving me grief.

If you're looking for very capable, lightweight speakers, QSC K12's or K15's would be a good call (and they're not that heavy) and neither are the RCF ART &xx series (715, 735 & 745). The other suggestion would be to go for a line array type system as then you don't have to lift a lot in the air! FBT CS1000's and EV Evolve 50's are supposed to be very capable. I've also heard a pair of BOSE L1's in action and they're phenomenal for their size and weight.
    Funny you should mention QSC, was looking at the K10.2/K12.2 online last night, these seems to get good reviews, but would a sub be required if running the K10s or K12s to match the DXR's?
    Last edited by fullcontact68; 10-09-2018 at 08:37 AM.

My two recommendations are:

Evox 8 - a pair of those comfortably handles up to 150 in a wedding situation. Up to 200 you just about get away with it. But that's the trade off from not having to lift a heavy speaker on to a stand!

There's other similar systems around - the Evox 8 is what I have and the only one therefore I can recommend from experience.

I think that's really your only option - anything else is sub + top, which involves more lifting on to a pole...

200 is a decent size - though. The other option is to try and get more under 120 people events - meaning you can take the Evox 8 out comfortably.

Anything larger, charge a higher fee to cover the hire of a bigger sound system that a roadie can put in for you...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Anything larger, charge a higher fee to cover the hire of a bigger sound system that a roadie can put in for you...
    I take it you've never been to Rotherham, Gavin? Blimey, it's hardly the stockbroker belt, shall we say.

Your call for the Evox 8 is sensible, but I would have been suggesting it's poor relation, the Maui 5s. Up to 100, no problem. Exceed 120-130, and you're finding their limits.

Left field suggestion:1
    Maui 28. The 11 is the least portable Maui sub, which is why I ignored those. Wayne will give chapter and verse on their capabilities, but might suggest Evolve 50.

Really left field:2
    Maui 44. One size fits all. Lose the Yamahas altogether, keep the IMG as backup. Food for thought, I hope.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Funny you should mention QSC, was looking at the K10.2/K12.2 online last night, these seems to get good reviews, but would a sub be required if running the K10s or K12s to match the DXR's?
    The K12's are roughly equivalent to the DXR's in terms of output - I've heard them and they're phenomenal. The K10's are also incredibly capable, but you would probably need a sub for larger crowds. I've made myself a promise that the next PA I buy will be the QSC K12's. Unless it has to be white

The Evox 8's are also amazing systems, but for 200 people or a larger room you'd really need to step up to the Evox 12's (or FBT CS1000/ EV Evolve 50) and then you're back into heavier cabs again. I worked alongside a band in a HUGE room earlier this year who had a pair of Evox 8's which they were supporting with an unbranded 18" sub. I had a pair of RCF422's over a pair of 15" subs and coped easily, whereas they seemed to struggle with their setup. Of course it's possible they ballsed up the setup and this wasn't a fair comparison.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I was in a similar position some years ago and went from the mahoosively weighty Peavey HS2's to the lighter, yet active Peavey H12's.

This year, Anno Domini increased to the next bracket so I checked out some new arrivals and after much cogitation, listening and feeling, I invested in a pair of LD Maui 28's.

The proof was in the pudding and once I got the chance to fire them up at the venue for a 200+ school prom, I can say that the sound was crisp, clear and LOUD!

No tripods (no lifting) and no cables, these beauties have knocked at least 10 minutes off my set up time.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 10-09-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: fixed typo.

Sounds like there are quite a few options out there.

I don't mind using full range tops (weight permitting, the PAK 412's are probably my limit for weight), perhaps a pair of QSC k12.2's could be a direct replacement for the DXR's, but also like the idea of being able to setup quickly without tripods etc.

Even though I do love my DXR's these would go when I decide to make the change.

Matty, I might have to pay you a visit next time you have the Maui 28's out, not heard them in action yet.

The Evox 8's are also amazing systems, but for 200 people or a larger room you'd really need to step up to the Evox 12's (or FBT CS1000/ EV Evolve 50) and then you're back into heavier cabs again.
    I'm confused by this - how is the CS1000 a 'step up' from the Evox 8? It's essentially the same system. Same with the Evolve 50.

There's marginal differences between different stick systems with 12" subs - ultimately it comes down to personal preference between those systems.

The Evox 12 I'm yet to be convinced by - it's much heavier, far less portable, and feedback so far is that it's not *that* much louder.

The next real set up is the dB ES1203 - but we're now up to over 30kg in total.

If you need something seriously more punchy than a line array system, then look at the FBT VN2000 package.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Your call for the Evox 8 is sensible, but I would have been suggesting it's poor relation, the Maui 5s. Up to 100, no problem. Exceed 120-130, and you're finding their limits.
    Whilst the Maui 5s are massively impressive for their size, and I'm regularly using them for small gigs in small venues, they aren't a patch on the sound of the Evox 8, and for the larger gigs, the Evox 8 easily outperforms the Maui 5, particularly with its bass punch. I'd be very nervous having them as my only system.