Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What is the latest DJ dress code for weddings ?

I haven't worn a tie in about 15 years My day job dropped them from the dress code on the grounds of equality (women don't have to wear them, so men don't either). It's still shirt and suit trousers for me with reasonably smart shoes.

Having been the photographer at some incredibly sweaty weddings over the summer this year, I have a different perspective on the dress code. As a DJ I'll get by with rolling up my shirt sleeves, as a photographer, I melt in a shirt and trousers with the amount of running around I have to do during the day (usually something like 20k steps) and I did attend one wedding in shorts, polo shirt and trainers. The feedback from that one was that my attire was appropriate for the occasion and the conditions and my work was 5* So.... whatever really
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I used to always fully suit up for a wedding. Looking back I think I looked like I had ideas above my station. Now it's always 'smart casual'. Nobody has commented either way so... Good?

I think as long as you couldn't be described as scruffy (ie no beer stained t-shirt & dirty jeans) pretty much anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    The feedback from that one was that my attire was appropriate for the occasion and the conditions and my work was 5* So.... whatever really
    Hmmmm. I'm not really happy about you having a foot in the enemy camp.

If I'm absolutely honest, there have been times when it would have made more sense to have DJ'ed thus attired at a wedding.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm yet to see a band turn up and wear a suit to perform.

We are after all performers. Do we look like performers, or another guest?

If you've ever been confused for the maître d', then the outfit isn't right!

Only once have I worn a tie, and that was at the request of the couple.

I'm thinking my sparkly jacket that I use at Christmas corporate events needs to come out more for weddings.

I'm very much an open necked shirt (either short or long sleeved depending on the heat in the venue), and a funky musical waistcoat. It's mentioned at least once at every wedding and makes me stand out as NOT being one of the guests (it's fairly obvious what my job is).

I only ever wear a tie if I'm doing the ceremony part of things.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm yet to see a band turn up and wear a suit to perform.
    Name:  20220618-204121-998A8865.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  49.6 KB

I had a corporate gig a few weeks ago as well where I provided photobooth for the evening and the band were in full suits and the ladies wore black evening gowns. Some bands seem to have got the memo. It's just photographers now

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'm still doing the black branded polo thing for evening only functions. During the summer, the branded cargo shorts come out. I'm there to work, and a lot of our jobs involve lifting and shifting. Do the events crew set up shows at the NEC in a suit? Nope, so why should I?

Here's a thought: a big reason why some DJs wear suits at weddings is to raise their own status at the event because "I'm a performer, darling!", but fail to realise that they look like everybody else there. If your mentality is that you are the show, you need to dress like a star. People pay to see Mick Jagger on stage, and while he's performing he does not dress like his audience. He is dialed up to 11, and he looks like a star. People don't pay to see people who look like everybody else - this is why wrestling was more popular in previous years, because those wrestlers looked closer to Gods than they did to you and me, whereas a lot of the wrestlers today look like us. If you want to be a centrepeice of an event, you have to dress like a star.

With that mentality, Wayne and his jazzy waistcoat is a damn sight closer to that than I am.

With regards to photographers, as a man with experience of such things, balls to the idea of a suit. I tried the suit, then I tried the waistcoat, jeans and tweed jacket thing...it's not comfortable at all. For the last wedding I shot, I wore a smart polo, jeans and black trainers and I was still really sweaty and clammy by the time the wedding breakfast was served. I carry towels, wet wipes, anti-perspirant, aftershave and I still end up feeling 'ick' by the middle of the afternoon. In a suit, it was a hell of a lot worse. Plus the amount of clothes I've damaged doing what I needed to do to get the shot.

I've got a 'tog friend of mine who wears shorts and t-shirt, and looks more akin to someone going to his neighbors barbecue. I'd never do that, but I can fully appreciate and respect why he does it.

Suit and open neck shirt for me. Jacket usually comes off after the first dance. Tie for ceremony and wedding breakfast.

99% of DJs I've seen in suits give off more of an mortgauge adviser vibe than a DJ.

Each to their own though, I know some bands who perform in suits and it matches their marketing/persona etc.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    99% of DJs I've seen in suits give off more of an mortgauge adviser vibe than a DJ.
    That would be me I was once voted "least likely person in the room to be a DJ" in a comedy show

Julian