Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Van Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    The biggest benefit is the size limitation restricts me from buying too much gear - has worked well for my wallet!!
    Totally, I have had to hold back on all sorts of purchases that in retrospect I did not need. Because i am not offering packages that include photo booths, dry ice and mirrorballs (big items) I need to go bog, but if I was just doing my DJ services my Zafira is a very nice snug fit along half the height of the car leaving a metre or so of space for extra items. Its a fabulous little vehicle, but the allure of packaging things better & making double what I am on now outweighs the cost savings & usefulness of a domestic vehicle.

I found that my berlingo and Partner had bags of space to spare, compared to my Zafira as it was a more boxy shape. I would say a 2-3 M3 more actually (complete guess). I might go for the Kangoo people carrier Electric option, but with a crew cab, so it doubles up for the kids and can store excess equipment should I expand further. I am setting up a corporate events company next year so not quite sure where that will take me and what kit I will have to transport??? Yes I will look like a bit of a tool as its not the coolest van in the world, but its super practical. I could always sell it and get the much better looking Nissan.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  64.9 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I love the Tetris -
    Stuff that for a game of soldiers!! Standing at the side of the road in Kings Lynn working out how to get a full Bose subs and tops rig ( pre drainpipe ) into a van that was already full, and then having delivered them, being presented with some even bigger Peavey 215 subs and 4XT tops to take home have led me to believe that Parkinsons Law can safely be applied to Disco Equipment and Vans.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Stuff that for a game of soldiers!! Standing at the side of the road in Kings Lynn working out how to get a full Bose subs and tops rig ( pre drainpipe ) into a van that was already full, and then having delivered them, being presented with some even bigger Peavey 215 subs and 4XT tops to take home have led me to believe that Parkinsons Law can safely be applied to Disco Equipment and Vans.
    Other than a few extras, the bulk of my disco is the same set up every time. So I take the same kit, all organised in the van in exactly the same way every week. Nice and easy.

Other than a few extras, the bulk of my disco is the same set up every time. So I take the same kit, all organised in the van in exactly the same way every week. Nice and easy.
    So is mine.....until

• I take the LOVE letters out on the road - they take half the van!
    • I take the full 16" retro show out on the road - fills the van
    • I do a rare kids party with all the associate games props etc.
    • I'm in a larger venue which needs more sound and lighting

The main bulk of my rig is the same most weeks and will just about fit into the back of my Zaffy in an emergency.
    Other than that, I'm sticking with the van - just gives so much more flexibility.

On another note and particularly the "coolness" factor....
    I don't know about you lot but my van is very rarely seen by clients. It's always around the back of the venue or parked well away from the building to allow for guests to park. It's a bit tatty and old looking nowadays, but nobody has EVER commented on the look of my van.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    but nobody has EVER commented on the look of my van.
    They would if it was bright yellow!

Seriously, I think the only thing I can guarantee will go out to every gig is the VMS4.1 and laptop!

Four booths, four PA rigs, choice of lights, one size does not fit all.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

They would if it was bright yellow!
    Why???? Have you finally washed yours?????

Four booths, four PA rigs, choice of lights, one size does not fit all.
    Completely agree - even for two parties in the same venue.

Take one of my regulars. The Evolve 50s will suffice for 99.9% of the gigs I do in there. Next weekend is a wedding with what they're calling "classic rock" (I'm calling it modern American rock but then I'm older than them by several decades ). It's a full on subs and tops night for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I feel electricity powered commercial vehicles have got to come a LONG way before they can be used properly
    I went to see the Black Nissan van today and found that it's very small (not a lot larger than the back of a Berlingo/Partner). this one also has not quick charge facility, making it useless for any trips over 60miles (fully loaded) and I immediately loose 5 seats. Its also had a fresh Ply lining which makes me wonder why they would install that? The cabin is very plain, did not test drive it. Apart from the height the rear boot is not a lot larger than the Zafira, so its a no go for me. The sales guy said "Your a DJ arnt you, i have seen you online and in Pomobile", made me laugh, but we had an hour long chat about Djing and did not even touch on vans!!

I might wait for the E-Vito to hit the second hand market next year, but I would never buy new, so it might take another 2 years!! If I had to upsize right this minute, I would firstly consider installing a tow bar and getting a small trailer (capable of transporting at least 2 fat sheep), and that would sort me out for a big package booking and not get in our way on our drive. Failing that I would look at the Viano route, but I pretty dead set at going 100% electric and ideally 100% carbon neutral with both our family cars in 2 years. Filing that a very efficient hybrid to replace the grossly polluting Mercedes we have & an efficient van, but anything over 70 mpg average is very new which = very expensive!

Unfortunately I have to house 2 of our own kids & my single sister in laws child (all with kid seats) and 2 adults and the R class has bags of room & is super safe so fits the bill for now. The good news is I can use the money saved to implement the mini solar farm in our garden and battery packs in the garage.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/