Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Losing Your Voice

Default Losing Your Voice

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Now I had a problem tonight (and will probably have the same problem tomorrow as well). As our own Deltic will attest after I'd spoken to him on Wednesday, I've had a major bout of Laryngitis this week and virtually no voice to speak of (in fact Thursday....absolutely no voice at all!).

Yup, announcing things like buffets, cake cuts, last orders and general interaction was difficult. Every time I started to say something...it turned to nothing more than a whisper.

As our voice is an essential 'tool' for us to work, it makes sense to share tips on preventing and curing voice loss.

This is my recommendation - and was recommended to me by a number of voice over artists, who rely 100% on their voices for their income.

It tastes awful, but is great stuff. Best to buy now, and have in the cupboard ready - it's best used the moment you feel anything going wrong with your voice.

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products...-mixture-200ml

Good topic Gavin.

Our voice is important in this job. Don't forget, you may be on a gig were mic use isn't allowed....you still have to call last orders, deal with any emergency announcements etc. Plus, you need to be able to physically talk to people.

Unfortunately I have acute laryngitis....brought on by some very violent coughing from a chest infection last weekend (which incidentally also cracked a rib ). My problem is trauma to the larynx (voice box). Basically it's been bruised and battered from the coughing and is trying to repair itself.

A visit to the quack during the week revealed that there's no "quick fix" to this one unfortunately and it can take a couple of weeks to put itself right again. But, here's the advice I was given to help things along....

* Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking/vaping (arrrggghhh!!!)
    * Avoid ice cold drinks
    * Inhale steam
    * Take tickly cough medicine (laryngitis can cause similar symptoms to coughs and colds and relieving any cough stops further trauma to the vocal chords)
    * Take analgesics such as paracetamol/ibuprofen to relieve the swelling in the larynx
    * Rest voice as much as possible

And one I didn't realise....don't try to whisper instead of talking. It's natural to try to whisper to at least communicate, but apparently this puts even more strain on the vocal chords than attempting to talk.

Happily, my voice is making a croaky comeback. Thankfully I'm not doing any big announcements such as first dances this weekend (it's all "buffet open" and "last orders at the bar"), and indeed last night's client was full of praise for me battling through

Thankfully I'm not doing any big announcements such as first dances this weekend (it's all "buffet open" and "last orders at the bar"), and indeed last night's client was full of praise for me battling through
    You do know you can get all those on here?

If you're really struggling, just text me what you want to say, and I'll ring you to say it. Then you can hold your phone to the mic. Whether they will understand my dulcet tones.............................

OK, a well respected forum member recommends white grapes as a help in these circumstances.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You do know you can get all those on here?
    That was my get out some years ago and I still carry bit to this day.

I also carry various potions including Vick's Chloroseptic spray for sore throats which has a numbing effect.

As a teacher I use my voice all day every day and have had proper training on how to protect and maintain it.

I do need to behave myself at the football if I have a gig coming up though

I used these whenever I got a sore throat or vocal problems. They provide short term relief and do work (or at least they did for me). Another quick remedy given to me by Martin, who used to post on here regularly, was frozen white grapes. Again, short term relief but for some crazy reason, this did work. It only works with white grapes, though, red grapes don't have the same effect!

It was because of a sore throat, brought on by a heavy cold, that I lost two karaoke residencies. My voice has never been the same since. I've treatment including steriod nasal sprays but nothing has worked to restore my voice to it's former glory.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I used these whenever I got a sore throat or vocal problems. They provide short term relief and do work (or at least they did for me).
    I've got through TWO packets of those things over the past week.

The thing that is working for me is Ibuprofen, and I'm eating those like Smarties every four hours on the dot (under orders of the Doc)....they're working.

I would imagine the thing with the grapes is to reduce swelling of the vocal chords (which is what the Ibuprofen is doing). I haven't been able to try that one yet because all four of the local purveyors of fruit and vegetables have for some unknown reason been out of stock all weekend .

Does it work the same with the chilled, fermented variety?

I've got through TWO packets of those things over the past week.

The thing that is working for me is Ibuprofen, and I'm eating those like Smarties every four hours on the dot (under orders of the Doc)....they're working.
    I would be very careful with the Vocalzone and only take them as directed on the dosage instructions. I was taking them like sweets at first and they tightened up my vocal chords for about a fortnight before the effects wore off!

I would imagine the thing with the grapes is to reduce swelling of the vocal chords (which is what the Ibuprofen is doing). I haven't been able to try that one yet because all four of the local purveyors of fruit and vegetables have for some unknown reason been out of stock all weekend .

Does it work the same with the chilled, fermented variety?
    The grapes was Vectis (Martin) tip. I couldn't remember his screenname until I saw Peter had posted it on the other discussion. The key to it is frozen white grapes. You just stick one in your mouth and let it melt. I'm guessing the coldness numbs your throat while the sticky juice coats and sooths your throat. The fermented stuff works wonders, not in any medicinal way but it helps you to forget you've got a sore throat!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!