Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Power Linking

Default Power Linking

Hi,

We're currently looking at re-arranging our lighting set-up for bigger rigs and rather than having to buy extra ho7rn-f IEC cables we'd like to daisy power chain them. (less plugs, less cable length etc etc).

We'd only be linking one Barrel and one ADJ Hex. (Per side).

https://electromarket.co.uk/beamz-in...ine-fluid-700w
    https://www.djkit.com/american-dj/am...j-5px-hex.html

I'm assuming the power is low enough for these both to work safely but wanted to check before I give it a go!

Thanks.
    Nathan.

Not familiar with either of these, but certainly with the ADJ fixtures, there's likely to be a number specified in the manual, eg 240v=10 units, 120v=5 units, sort of thing. Basically, as you're all LED, there's unlikely to be any problem at all with daisy chaining them.

The only issue I can see will be with the pars having Powercon connectors, you'll end up with leads that aren't standard. Not really a problem.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Not familiar with either of these, but certainly with the ADJ fixtures, there's likely to be a number specified in the manual, eg 240v=10 units, 120v=5 units, sort of thing. Basically, as you're all LED, there's unlikely to be any problem at all with daisy chaining them.

The only issue I can see will be with the pars having Powercon connectors, you'll end up with leads that aren't standard. Not really a problem.

Thanks for that!

Oh yeah, just noticed that. They must have been updated. My pair have the standard IEC.
    Nathan.

I'm assuming you will be making your own cables up, so check that the cable you intend to purchase will actually fit into an IEC fitting, H07 RNF has a greater OD than a similar rated PVC cable, I think you will struggle to get a rubber cable over 3 x 1mm to fit down the strain relief fitting of an IEC fitting.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Either would be OK, but the Skytec ones aren't flexible rubber HO7 RNF though, and will probably get stiff in cold weather
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Skytec ones will do the job, however the Marten cables will last a lifetime, just depends on what £££ you want to spend. I used to use cheap cables but am slowly upgrading them all - no performance difference but they do feel a lot better and will last.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Skytec ones will do the job, however the Marten cables will last a lifetime, just depends on what £££ you want to spend. I used to use cheap cables but am slowly upgrading them all - no performance difference but they do feel a lot better and will last.
    Hi,

We've got Marten IEC power cables and will look to get IEC to IEC with them.
    Nathan.

You could always make the cables yourself, it would cost you around £4 + £1 per M length per cable, using high quality Kaiser C13 & C14 IEC fittings and HO7RNF rubber cable. That's assuming you purchase cable and fittings in reasonable quantities, Kent PAT testing are a good source for the Kaiser fittings, Tip: don't buy cheap nasty fittings they are a waste of money, and they're fiddly to wire up.

Disco 4 Hire

I mostly make my own cables, the only exceptions being the short IEC 'Y' cables I use on my lights most gigs. As someone has already said, quality cable & connectors are available at decent prices - I tend to buy my connectors from RS or Farnell (NOT Bulgin IECs they're awful!) & 1.0mm or 1.5mm 'rubber' 3-core mains cable from Screwfix (aka pond flex). It gets quite cold where I store my cables & the last thing I want is wiring that doesn't sit straight. Before I did this I didn't have a problem with the reliability of ready made mains cables but I just couldn't stand how inflexible PVC jacketed cables are when they're cold.

A while ago, rather than a big 13A multi-gang trailing socket thingy for powering everything, I made a box. It has a powercon input, fuse & indicator neon.. and sixteen IEC outputs. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided I needed 16 - I generally only use 6, sometimes even less. At the majority of my gigs, power comes from the wall to a 4-way mains extension (either 2m or 5m depending on where I am - I'm never usually that much further from the nearest socket). Laptop, controller & radio mic get plugged into that, then I plug my IEC multibox into there too. Then I run IECs to PA & lights from the multibox. My hazer, if I use it, tends to be powered from its own 13A socket.

And yes, all my DIY electrical gear is safety tested regularly with everything else

Speaking of PAT tests.. About the only failure of a test I've ever had from my gear or cable stash is an IEC lead which came with something (I forget what & where it came from). The cable failed the earth resistance check. I cut it apart to investigate & found the actual conductors of the cable where very very thin strands of a grey coloured metal. So, only buy your cables from reputable sources - and even then be very careful & test them regularly.