Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An epiphany in the way I work

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Funnily enough, I'm getting a lot of customers recently, who give me the instruction " just play whatever makes people dance and enjoy themselves". A backlash from events with rigid playlists of decidedly dancefloor unfriendly stuff dictated by a client? " It's music that means a lot to me/us, so my friends will enjoy it". Yeah, right.
    Ahh the "it's my party & I'll cry if I want to" customer. Thankfully I've only met a couple of those & both of them came via a residency so I couldn't bounce them. Yes dear, by all means smack me with a heavy going list but don't you dare expect to see anyone making merry to Great Gig In The Sky! FYI yes that really happened. It wasn't the most enjoyable gig I've ever done.. That was one of the lighter tracks...

I've always subscribed to the theory that the disco world is cyclic, and maybe it's the season for Personality to come to the fore?
    So long as that just means 'a bit of banter now & then' not DJ Scream If You Wanna Go Faster Shouting Random Words Over The Mic For Effect (see "shabba!" eg) PERRRSONALLIDDY DJing.. I applaud this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

So long as that just means 'a bit of banter now & then' not DJ Scream If You Wanna Go Faster Shouting Random Words Over The Mic For Effect (see "shabba!" eg) PERRRSONALLIDDY DJing.. I applaud this.
    Ah, now here we have the fundamental dichotomy of the Mobile DJ, at least in the eyes of the prospective client. At one end of the scale, the taciturn tunesmith with a personality bypass, mixing the required music seamlessly for six hours, and at the other end, the person afflicted with verbal diarrhoea, St Vitus Dance, and a desire to be the centre of the universe for the whole event.

Both of these horrific visions do exist, I've seen them.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ah, now here we have the fundamental dichotomy of the Mobile DJ, at least in the eyes of the prospective client. At one end of the scale, the taciturn tunesmith with a personality bypass, mixing the required music seamlessly for six hours, and at the other end, the person afflicted with verbal diarrhoea, St Vitus Dance, and a desire to be the centre of the universe for the whole event.

Both of these horrific visions do exist, I've seen them.
    I've BEEN them