Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting out on a budget.

Wow. I just spent a good 15 minutes writing a story and it hasn’t posted it..

ugh frustration!

I’ll try again at dinner!

My first rig for coming back to DJing was as follows:

2nd hand Mackie Srm450 £320 the pair
    Equinox GIGBAR.. £250 b stock
    Speaker stands £30 the pair new
    6 metre XLR cables X2.. about £10 new
    Used Ultimax booth .. £150
    Folding front panel screen £100 new
    Various mains extension cables & power cables £60
    2x new Equinox Power Flower.. £300 new
    Lighting stands X2. About £50 new
    Various bags & cases to protect equipment.. £130 new
    Small Haze machine, new. £120

A shade under 1500 quid all told. I already had a DJ controller & mixer BTW

The most important, and most used light in my rig has been wash lighting (from the gigAbar when I still had it) The most overlooked & underused kind of lighting available. It's easily the cheapest & most effective way to bring colour & atmosphere to any function. These days I wouldn't be without my lovely FX Par 9 clones from Thomann. There's not a venue I've met they didn't succeed in swamping in vibrant bright colours.

Now then .. PLAYOUT.

If you're planning to use a laptop bear this in mind. While many laptop DJs plug their laptop directly into a mixer, DON'T.

Minijack plugs can easily break in sockets and audio sockets on laptops aren't the most sturdy, so AVOID going this way. That's not even mentioning how terrible a lot of internal laptop audio sounds! Instead either buy a USB soundcard or a DJ controller with a built-in soundcard.

Oh & whatever you plan on using to play music, make sure you have an alternative you can use if the primary one goes belly up!! I've done hundreds of gigs with my trusty laptop & controller but never go anywhere without a spare controller and laptop. I've had to use my backup for a whole gig once , and thank the Lord I had it or I'd have been stuffed. Remember, you might not only have to refund your fee should the worst happen.. they might look for you to pay for your replacement too - or at least the difference ( and oh how emergency DJs can GOUGE).

Quote Originally Posted by djxkott View Post
    Wow. I just spent a good 15 minutes writing a story and it hasn’t posted it..

ugh frustration!

I’ll try again at dinner!
    To prevent potential spammers slipping through the net, any new user's first posts are placed in the moderation queue. They're usually approved fairly quickly, which I have done now for your earlier posts. This moderation "safety net" is removed after 10 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    To prevent potential spammers slipping through the net, any new user's first posts are placed in the moderation queue. They're usually approved fairly quickly, which I have done now for your earlier posts. This moderation "safety net" is removed after 10 posts.
    Since I'm quoting the new Head Honcho, I'll refrain from pointing out that in the past, the safety net has been somewhat erratic in its choice of targets, and I shall have to be vigilant checking for posts to approve.

Mackie/Tapco Thumps? Another one to put firmly on the Avoid list. SRM450, can be absolutely fine, especially the V2. Thump review.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Good press about Mackie Thumps?! Where?! Seriously. Those things really aren't what they say they are. I know, I've had to fix a few. They're not terribly made, but they struggle to cope with crowds of 100 people flat out. Truth is, whatever rating Mackie write on the label is about 3.5x their real power. For up to 200 people hiring will be your best bet. You ain't gonna land new PA suitable for a crowd of that size for under a grand in my opinion.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

If you're going down the buying route for lighting, I suggest buying the Chauvet Gigbar.

An all in one DJ lightshow that will take you seconds to set up and will be more than good enough for any DJ starting from scratch. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have one now but were I to be starting up today, I'd seriously consider it...

Then I'd look at hiring PA until I have a decent budget to buy as £600-700 for sound will be the biggest waste of money you'll ever make.
    Last edited by Benny Smyth; 30-08-2019 at 11:41 AM.

I'll add my two penn'oth as an ancient old git (in training).

All what's been said previously is excellent advice as I would expect from the disassembled brains trust on here.

Not yet mentioned here yet is the Public Liability Insurance requirement that you will be asked for in the "live" world and the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) that also is a vital need these days.

If all your kit for the one off is hired in, it should already be PAT tested (don't hire if it isn't). If you are buying brand new, it is not necessary (though desirable) and if 2nd hand, make sure it has an up to date certificate.

If you are thinking long term, virtually every venue now insists on both of these and will expect you to provide proof. You'd be surprised when booking you, how many public clients haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about. PLI & PAT??

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    My first rig for coming back to DJing was as follows:

2nd hand Mackie Srm450 £320 the pair
    Equinox GIGBAR.. £250 b stock
    Speaker stands £30 the pair new
    6 metre XLR cables X2.. about £10 new
    Used Ultimax booth .. £150
    Folding front panel screen £100 new
    Various mains extension cables & power cables £60
    2x new Equinox Power Flower.. £300 new
    Lighting stands X2. About £50 new
    Various bags & cases to protect equipment.. £130 new
    Small Haze machine, new. £120

A shade under 1500 quid all told. I already had a DJ controller & mixer BTW

The most important, and most used light in my rig has been wash lighting (from the gigAbar when I still had it) The most overlooked & underused kind of lighting available. It's easily the cheapest & most effective way to bring colour & atmosphere to any function. These days I wouldn't be without my lovely FX Par 9 clones from Thomann. There's not a venue I've met they didn't succeed in swamping in vibrant bright colours.

Wow mate you got a cracking deal on those smr450s.
    I tell you what they actually look the part too.

I’m Currently looking at brand new v3 pair with stands and bag for £650
    Ive addded those to my cart, just looking at displays now, I’ve got a month yet so I think I will build my own.

I’m not keen on this new lark that seems to be popular now, little white cloth front with LED..
    I dunno it looks a bit tacky..
    I miss the old heavy light box’s with the old bulbs, but I guess that’s more to transport around so I will spend some time doing that..

Thanks for your list I will go over it and the rest with a fine comb..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Ahh I see thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post

All what's been said previously is excellent advice as I would expect from the disassembled brains trust on here.

Not yet mentioned here yet is the Public Liability Insurance requirement that you will be asked for in the "live" world and the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) that also is a vital need these days.

If all your kit for the one off is hired in, it should already be PAT tested (don't hire if it isn't). If you are buying brand new, it is not necessary (though desirable) and if 2nd hand, make sure it has an up to date certificate.

If you are thinking long term, virtually every venue now insists on both of these and will expect you to provide proof. You'd be surprised when booking you, how many public clients haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about. PLI & PAT??
    Thanks for this. I was told by the venue renter pat testing is essential. I have found a decent chap nearby who charges £10 call out and £1 an item. Which to be fair seems not too bad a price.

im assuming this is yearly requirement.

I wonder if brand new stuff already comes with pat certificate?
    Last edited by Marc J; 30-08-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Merged Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djxkott View Post
    Ahh I see thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense

I've also merged your 4 posts above. There's a multi-quote feature, just use the Name:  multiquote-back_40b.png
Views: 302
Size:  319 Bytes icon at the bottom right of every post you want to quote.