Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iSolution iRock 5S and 5B display/button board

Default iSolution iRock 5S and 5B display/button board

Hi all, I have acquired some iRock 5S and 5B fixtures, and some of them have non-functional button/LED display boards.

I have searched everywhere for replacements, to no avail, so have decided to make my own.

I have managed to source all the components (except the display which I am using RED, not BLUE as these seem to be hard to find), and am currently laying out the PCB which I can have manufactured quite cheaply.

Is this something that would be of interest to any of you guys, I'm sure there must be loads of faulty boards out there.
    Last edited by Marc J; 02-10-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Hello David, good to have you here, and your knowledge may prove valuable to people.
    Could I ask you to pop across to the Newbies section, and tell us a bit about yourself, cos we're a nosey lot. Thank you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

PCB layout finished, Gerber files uploaded to the manufacturer in China at 10:30 am, Audit Passed at 11:00 am, 10 boards ordered, into fabrication as soon as payment received, manufacturing time approx 24 hours, then DHL Express shipping to me, from China, takes about 3 to 4 days.

Cost of 10 PCBs, just US$ 9, shipping US$ 21, so total cost of each PCB - less than £3 !!

You cannot beat this PCB company for price or speed.

Now I just need to sell a few .....

Name:  2019-09-25_125047.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  154.9 KB
    Last edited by Marc J; 02-10-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Back on the subject of the replacement LED Display/Button boards, I have done my costings, and I can offer these for sale at £27.95 each.

That may sound quite a bit, but the cost of the components (in small quantities, 'cos I don't think I'll sell a huge volume), comes to nearly £12.

Then I've got to assemble and test them individually (working on an Arduino test rig), and with post and packing to UK mainland, it all adds up.

I said I was using Red LED display, and to be honest it was almost invisible behind the blue display filter, so I have carefully cut and shaped a piece of clear plexiglass, and used a piece of red lighting gel behind it, and the display now looks great, although I don't think the iPhone picks up red very well, they're certainly not orange as the picture seems to show. You'll probably set the LEDs function to oFF anyway, so it's only used for configuration. I will include a cut display window and a piece of gel with all Red LED display boards, simply attach carefully with some super-glue.

Name:  2019-09-29 15.02.24.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  34.5 KB

I'm still trying to find blue displays, but the only references I've discovered on the web seem to be centred around Brazil, for some strange reason....

My new PCBs should be here tomorrow or maybe Tuesday (not bad since they were ordered, from China, on the 25th at 10:30 am !!). The most expensive component is the display itself, so I will buy those in as and when I need them, which will give a lead time of a few days. but if anyone shows interest I can get a few in stock for same-day assembly.

So how many of you have faulty display/button boards on your 5S and 5B's. ? Because of those additional mounting holes, I suspect it's the same board in other models, but can't be sure - only you can compare them, I only have these 5S and 5B models.
    Last edited by Marc J; 02-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.

The new PCBs arrived yesterday, as scheduled - total turn-around time was 5 days and 1.5 hours - that is from ordering to delivery here from China. I still find that amazing.

Waiting on displays to arrive (I have ordered some in) to test the board, but it is a clone of the original, and all the netlists work out just fine, so should be good to go.

My LEDs are clear, but they light up the right colours, from L to R : Red, Yellow, Red, Green.

Regarding the above pricing, I can offer a complete kit of parts, for self-assembly, for £17.95, incl p+p

Name:  2019-10-01_162930.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  29.1 KBName:  2019-10-01 16.33.03.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  37.5 KB
    Last edited by Marc J; 02-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.

David,

I've removed all references to sales / pricing etc. from your posts above. I know you're probably just trying to help other members and dilute your own costs, but at the end of the day we can't bend the rules for yourself when they have always been enforced strictly in the past.

Items for sale should normally be placed in the For Sale forum. You currently won't be able to post there, though :-

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Only 'Senior Members' (members with at least 100 posts & 3 months membership), and 'MDD supporters' may sell DJ related items in this section of the forum.

Hope you understand

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

Items for sale should normally be placed in the For Sale forum. You currently won't be able to post there, though :-
    Wary as I am of correcting the man who runs my entire web presence, I feel I ought to point out that for the princely sum of £1 per month, you could become a Supporter, and not only gain access to the " Members Only" area of the forum ( Supporters. Basically, an area of the forum not viewable by Joe Public), but also allow you to post items for sale in the corresponding areas. Well worth it, in my humble opinion, with the added bonus that it helps with the funding of the forum.

Well spotted, Marc. Although I'm usually Chief Jobsworth, I hadn't spotted the transgression. I'm just going outside. I may be some time.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Transgression, omg strong words.

"Items for sale should normally be placed in the For Sale forum. You currently won't be able to post there, though :-"

Is trying to sell something that other members may need, how can that be a transgression ???

Anyway, I have had "transgressions" on other sites, recently for naming the company I use for PCB manufacture. It was classed as "advertising", but in my world it was a "recommendation" since I have no commercial interest in the company. But hey-ho, their site admins decided it was advertising, even though they let people "sell" their own companies products on the site....

If, and when, I can find the "Members Only" (and to be honest I thought I was one), or "Supporters" areas of the site I will probably just cut and paste the info from the public view to the restricted view, but that is limiting my audience drastically.

Ah so - but there is a much wider audience, it is called the internet, and if site admin want me to restrict my viewing circle, then I must head outwards.

I personally cannot see any transgression, if someone wants what I can give, that should be their choice.

I am happy, although reluctant, to leave your community, if you feel my actions are "wrong" in any way.

So if anyone needs replacement Display/PB boards for these fixtures, you're gonna have to wait 3 months for this forum admin to allows "ads", or just head over to eBay where I will be listing these shortly - you'll know what to search for.....

c'mon admin, you need to make a decision about whether someone is trying to make a fast or dodgy buck, or whether someone has the community members at heart

Quote Originally Posted by daba View Post
    "Items for sale should normally be placed in the For Sale forum. You currently won't be able to post there, though :-"

Is trying to sell something that other members may need, how can that be a transgression ???
    Selling anything (DJ related) is fine, but there are rules in place to avoid people registering just to sell whatever they have, with no further contribution. So, here, it's 3 month's membership and 100 posts, or through joining the Supporters group.

If, and when, I can find the "Members Only" (and to be honest I thought I was one), or "Supporters" areas of the site I will probably just cut and paste the info from the public view to the restricted view, but that is limiting my audience drastically.
    I think you've misunderstood. The "Supporters Only" (not Members Only) forum is only visible to supporters, and not the general public / forum membership, which is why you can't find it. If you decided to support the forum (see Help Support This Site!) you'd get access to that forum, along with an increased PM limit and the lifting of the 3 months / 100 posts requirement for posting items for sale. The For Sale forum is visible to everyone, so your audience isn't limited at all.

Ah so - but there is a much wider audience, it is called the internet, and if site admin want me to restrict my viewing circle, then I must head outwards.
    Of course, that's your prerogative. eBay would be a good start, but they'll charge fees to list, and more fees when you sell... but then you knew that

I personally cannot see any transgression, if someone wants what I can give, that should be their choice.
    Like I said: -

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I know you're probably just trying to help other members and dilute your own costs, but at the end of the day we can't bend the rules for yourself when they have always been enforced strictly in the past.
    Rules are rules, and as much as you were "trying to help" (which I acknowledged) there are no exceptions.

I am happy, although reluctant, to leave your community, if you feel my actions are "wrong" in any way.
    Nobody's asking you to leave, or said you should.

c'mon admin, you need to make a decision about whether someone is trying to make a fast or dodgy buck, or whether someone has the community members at heart
    The rules are in place so that decisions don't have to be made on a case-by-case basis. They are there for a reason. There are no exceptions. If you want to take it personally, that's up to you.