Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genuinely Surprised By This

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    On the flipside, if people are losing work (and they're not, I can't think of a single wedding I've ever done without a tog and the majority have a video tog too) based on guys like me doing half a dozen snaps and a 3 minute video of the evening dancing then they've more problems with their business than anything I've contributed to.
    This. All day long.
    Last edited by Marc J; 03-10-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correction in quote

*without a tog that should read.

I know one guy that does all day DJ and actual sells it as a full tog add on too.

I've no idea how much he charges but the only folk he's 'stwaling' work from are the mob who get a nice camera and decide they'll be a wedding tog. He's certainly not competition for people who want a specific style or really arty type album of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I have a theory - and it's backed up by a few videographer friends of mine - that based on the number of rules and regs being placed on drones (in Canada, you essentially have to have a pilots license to fly a drone!), I reckon that the Government is waiting for a drone to kill someone so they can outright ban them.
    I would disagree with that, the rules and regs are reasonably minimal and straight forward. I'm all for registration too.

They are aircraft and share the same airspace as everything from a glider to a dreamliner. I sit on the periphery of Glasgow ATC zone, it's literally just round the corner, so if I'm flying irresponsibly here or there's a malfunction, I could potentially bring down an air craft.

At any other point, anywhere really, I could damage or harm people or property except for in remote areas. The CAA have to make assumptions based on worst case scenario otherwise they're culpable if said worst case scenario happens but, as long as you're not being a duck, they're pretty cool. In one of my recent videos I'm flying 50m from Prestwicks exclusion zone, toward it, at speed. Entering it is a jail able offence but I phoned ATC and they were like 'yeah no problem, just let us know if you have a fky away in our direction, enjoy your flight'

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I don't know if that was aimed at my plans or a general comment, but to add a bit more detail to my plans, I will be running a Photography business and a DJ business - two separate entities meaning that I will be a DJ or a Photgrapher. Quite frankly, I don't feel I can give either my best if I offer both as a single service and the thought of waking up at 7am and then getting to bed at 3am...stuff that!

As for increase of competition, I'm not sure I buy that argument. I very much doubt any £4k+ 'togs are going to worry about me, the same that I'm not worried about those offering DJ + Dancefloor + Photobooth + Uplighting + Photography. As a DJ, I offer just a DJ service and none of the extras and I'm not worried about those who are offering them.
    I'm assuming that was aimed at me?

I think I do a pretty good job with my photos and video - there's a couple of hundred on my website if you're that interested, I'm certainly not just jumping about with my camera on manual and firing up rotten short clips on to YouTube.

On the flipside, if people are losing work (and they're not, I can't think of a single wedding I've ever done without a tog and the majority have a video tog too) based on guys like me doing half a dozen snaps and a 3 minute video of the evening dancing then they've more problems with their business than anything I've contributed to.
    By, there's some touchy people on here!

First up, my comments weren't aimed at anyone in particular. I'm merely playing devil's advocate whilst taking on board my own experiences and opinions of the topic in hand!

Secondly, Jim, you don't have to assume anything with me. I was asked to join the team here because of my honesty and upfrontedness. Basically, I can be pretty blunt and sometimes over-honest. I don't go in for snideness or underhand, veiled comments. So, if I was aiming any comments directly at you, I'd either reply to you directly or I would name you in my comments. You can be assured of that. That's the way I work and always have done. I do, however, sometimes descend in to sarcasm but that's just my sense of humour and it's never intended to offend anyone.

Right, before anyone else thinks I'm picking on them, I'll quantify my original comments. I'm old school. I think at the events we do (and that I used to do), there is room for different trades. All of those trades do what they do because they are (or should be) good at it. When one trade starts to move in to other trades, where does it all end? Do we have photographers cooking the buffet? Does the DJ make the wedding dress? Do the cleaners provide officiating duties? The times I hear of DJs complaining that a client has cancelled as the band have offered to include DJing as part of their service is just staggering. Yet we see DJs (talking generally again - not aimed at anyone in particular!) taking on the photographer's duties which, personally, I see as a little bit hypocritical. But that's just me. Like I said, I'm an old-school, union-activist type of guy!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Unless there's a slew of DJs down your way photographing during the day, as I said there's only 1 up here I knpw who does that, then it's a moot point.

A DJ taking shots / video in the evening isn't cutting a togs grass, a band with an iPhone on shuffle is cutting a DJs grass.

Interesting take on pricing for photographers...

https://www.facebook.com/22185997789...6082405805792/

Looks like you're too cheap again Benny

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Looks like you're too cheap again Benny
    Genuinely Surprised By This. Do you see what I did there?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

A DJ taking shots / video in the evening isn't cutting a togs grass, a band with an iPhone on shuffle is cutting a DJs grass.
    Playing devils advocate here, I disagree, I think they are very similar. There are a lot of DJs out there who are very handy with a camera and I know a few togs who upsell evening photography who are now challenged by this. Different taking a few photos for facebook/marketing, I am talking about those taking 100+ a night.

Again, it is all about public perception - the average Joe public will think a band with an Iphone is 'the same' as a DJ, likewise a DJ with a good camera who knows how to use it is 'the same' as a Photographer.

The big argument here though is that DJs have a reputation of stepping on others toes and offering a multitude of services. How many DJs do you know make a successful living out of purely DJing ? I keep saying, DJs would be annoyed if a photographer bought a load of PA and lights and then offered a free/cheap DJ service as an add-on
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Playing devils advocate here, I disagree, I think they are very similar. There are a lot of DJs out there who are very handy with a camera and I know a few togs who upsell evening photography who are now challenged by this. Different taking a few photos for facebook/marketing, I am talking about those taking 100+ a night.

Again, it is all about public perception - the average Joe public will think a band with an Iphone is 'the same' as a DJ, likewise a DJ with a good camera who knows how to use it is 'the same' as a Photographer.

The big argument here though is that DJs have a reputation of stepping on others toes and offering a multitude of services. How many DJs do you know make a successful living out of purely DJing ? I keep saying, DJs would be annoyed if a photographer bought a load of PA and lights and then offered a free/cheap DJ service as an add-on
    And this month's prize* for the best, most reasoned and sensible post goes to this one.

* The prize? No idea yet.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    ...I am talking about those taking 100+ a night...
    Show me a DJ who gives a client 100+ photos, and I will show you one of three things:

- A good DJ who takes 100+ crap photos
    - A crap DJ who takes 100+ good photos
    - A crap DJ who takes 100+ crap photos

I'm a very good DJ and I like to think that I am slightly above average when it comes to my Wedding Photography. I cannot deliver that level of quality for both services at the same time and I am yet to see any good DJ offer up that many photos of a quality that should worry a good photographer.