Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Genuinely Surprised By This

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Nice site, Benny, but I've got to be honest it's very slow, especially first page view. For me it was more than 5 seconds of your "loading" coloured box animation. Despite disabling my browser cache I haven't got it to go quite that slow again, so maybe just a temporary glitch?

On your portfolio page, when clicking on a filtered set of photos, the next and previous still go through the whole unfiltered set of photos, which is unexpected and perhaps annoying for visitors. On the technical side, your "fancybox" selector should only be targeting the visible elements on the page, something like : -
    Thanks, Marc. I'll feed that back to my web guys.

Great new site Benny. One question leapt out at me on hitting the bottom of a page.. do you get a discount for letting the web developer advertise on your site?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    do you get a discount for letting the web developer advertise on your site?
    About as much of a discount as you give your clients when you pop your branding on your DJ stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    do you get a discount for letting the web developer advertise on your site?
    I sometimes do this, sometimes not. It has never been raised with or by the client, though, and nobody has ever asked me to remove it or for a discount if it's there. For a lot of web design companies it's "the normal" and not open for discussion.

There are a variety of deciding factors... mainly if I'm personally happy with the site design at the time, or if I feel I've put a little more work into it than the quote allowed for...so not so much a discount as not charging them more for any little "extras".

Of course, there have been times when, after handing over a site to a client, they've absolutely trashed it with their "web design skills"... at that point I usually go in and remove the link to me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I sometimes do this, sometimes not. It has never been raised with or by the client, though, and nobody has ever asked me to remove it or for a discount if it's there. For a lot of web design companies it's "the normal" and not open for discussion.

There are a variety of deciding factors... mainly if I'm personally happy with the site design at the time, or if I feel I've put a little more work into it than the quote allowed for...so not so much a discount as not charging them more for any little "extras".
    As a designer myself, I do this too.

It has come in useful. Many years ago, there was one client where something had gone wrong somewhere - I can't remember the exact details, but they were unable to get in contact with the customer, so contacted me as the web developer through the link, and I was able to 1: divert their message to the client, and 2: fix the issue.

So it does have its benefits!