Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    So I'll see you all next summer...

With a maximum reception allowed of up to 30 people until the end of September, I can see October increasing that number, but would be very surprised if dancing was permitted after that date.

And once in October, we start to touch flu season, where the experts are worried about a rise in infections again. And that will mean no further easing through the winter, taking us right back to Spring again.

Anyone want to buy a disco?!!
    Yup, my final party for 2020 (a joint 30th/40th with the Retro setup) has now cancelled on me this evening.

Looks like I'm going to be delivering online groceries for a very long time to come. In fact several of the SAGE members (not that it's got anything to do with Gov policy) have suggested over the past 48 hours that "normal" (i.e. US), isn't going to happen until a vaccine is available

Interesting conversation tonight though at the end of my gruelling shift (because my Gawd it's hard work!). i work with several of our ilk (DJs, Band members, toggers). None of us can actually foresee 2021 being "normal" at the moment. I can see a very long slog ahead. Shame the kit's not worth anything at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Shame the kit's not worth anything at the moment
    Oh how true, if I could sell mine for a decent, sensible price, I would, I've got a better use for the cash.
    Regarding a vaccine, it's a fact that humanity has so far failed in producing a successful, long lasting vaccine for ANY corona virus, the best we can expect in the near future is an effective treatment. IMO this modern day plague will be with us for a very long time, the world is already drifting into a 2nd wave of infections, what on earth is going to stop a 3rd, 4th or 5th wave etc, the approaching flu season wont help us either. Personally, it's getting increasingly difficult for me to remain optimistic for the future.
    Last edited by Pe7e; 20-07-2020 at 04:13 AM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    That's why I'm just reverting to my t's and c's. Had a call with a groom yesterday who was already scheduled in to meet his venue and cut him a break but told him then and there, after this I'm just sticking to my t's and c's - wether that is nice for a couple just now or not - as it levels the playing field, let's both parties know exactly where we stand and at the end of the day, they're there for a reason, just ignoring them because is financially stupid - tonnes of other businesses are doing what they need to do to keep afloat and we should be the same.
    Do you know what? Jim was right.

I now regret being so lenient with my terms. For the most part, I have had clients who have been ace and have tried to work with me but I have had enough clients change their date on a whim and then call me unfair for not being available for their new date and subsequently not returning deposits, despite the fact that I do all I can to prevent this from happening, which includes contacting all of my clients months out to let them know that I'm ready when they are.

There needs to be a considerably wider awareness that there is as much onus on the client as there is on suppliers to mitigate all of our losses. Until then, I would not be surprised to start seeing venues and suppliers drawing lines in the sand in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I now regret being so lenient with my terms. For the most part, I have had clients who have been ace and have tried to work with me but I have had enough clients change their date on a whim and then call me unfair for not being available for their new date and subsequently not returning deposits, despite the fact that I do all I can to prevent this from happening, which includes contacting all of my clients months out to let them know that I'm ready when they are.
    Guides for Brides did a live last night where they actually gave a very balanced view of the situation. They called out the CMA for not being clear about what couples should expect to be returned back in April. They also asked couples to talk to all of their key suppliers prior to rescheduling AND called on venues to not time limit couples when offering them new dates to give couples a chance to co-ordinate dates with their suppliers.

OK, they should have done all this in March, but hey...

Apparently there is guidance coming from the CMA to help suppliers and customers navigate the minefield of handling cancellations where the service could be supplied, but the couple don't want to go ahead because of restrictions on numbers or something else that would affect the overall experience. Can't wait to see this...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Apparently there is guidance coming from the CMA to help suppliers and customers navigate the minefield of handling cancellations where the service could be supplied, but the couple don't want to go ahead because of restrictions on numbers or something else that would affect the overall experience. Can't wait to see this...

Julian
    This is something I think we desperately need. Most people in the wedding industry have turned a hobby in to a business, earning a living from it. Very few are good business people and the lack of guidance and advice has been a real concern. It won't be long before (more) requests for refunds will be incoming and we need clear indication of where we stand.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    This is something I think we desperately need.
    Not from the CMA. Their interpretation will be from the perspective of the client, which is great but that will be seen as gospel for clients and we'll have to spend so much time saying "Actually, what the CMA say is only half of the story."

What we need is something definitive that doesn't come from a body representing consumers or businesses. An actual unbiased group.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Not from the CMA. Their interpretation will be from the perspective of the client, which is great but that will be seen as gospel for clients and we'll have to spend so much time saying "Actually, what the CMA say is only half of the story."

What we need is something definitive that doesn't come from a body representing consumers or businesses. An actual unbiased group.
    To be fair, the CMA advice has been pretty fair on both sides. In terms of voluntary cancellations, it actually looks after us pretty well.

The problem is that people read small bits of the guidance from CMA rather than the entire piece, so get confused with what it means.

I still even see suppliers saying that you can't retain a deposit in the event of a voluntary cancellation - you must refund everything except costs incurred so far - which is soooo wrong!

Julian
    I'll save them the hassle - you are contracted to provide a service, the law cares not one jot if it's not the 400 person disney wedding with elephants and fire jugglers - if you can do it and they change then they're not entitled to money back if you've got halfway sensible t's snd c's.

It's amazing how many clients are quickly clamped when you tell then your t's and C's don't allow a refund but they should contact their insurance and I'll furnish them with any info or paperwork they need to claim it back .... A contract is a mutually beneficial legal agreement, there's no point giving the other party all the leverage just to be nice.

A contract is a mutually beneficial legal agreement, there's no point giving the other party all the leverage just to be nice.
    It will be interesting to see all the brides up in arms next year when DJs cancel last minute because they now have a full-time job elsewhere and can't do their wedding any more because their shift clashes with it.

I mean if it's OK for brides to just cancel and demand a refund, then on that basis it's fine for DJs to just cancel on them too...

I'll save them the hassle - you are contracted to provide a service, the law cares not one jot if it's not the 400 person disney wedding with elephants and fire jugglers - if you can do it and they change then they're not entitled to money back if you've got halfway sensible t's snd c's.

It's amazing how many clients are quickly clamped when you tell then your t's and C's don't allow a refund but they should contact their insurance and I'll furnish them with any info or paperwork they need to claim it back .... A contract is a mutually beneficial legal agreement, there's no point giving the other party all the leverage just to be nice.
    I agree with you, that situation is pretty clear cut, but it won't hurt for the CMA to spell it out in black and white. I'm hoping that they have some choice words to say that might help us out if we eventually get to the point where weddings can go ahead, but dancefloors are still closed....

Julian

P.S. Not hopeful on that one
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography