Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I agree with you, that situation is pretty clear cut, but it won't hurt for the CMA to spell it out in black and white. I'm hoping that they have some choice words to say that might help us out if we eventually get to the point where weddings can go ahead, but dancefloors are still closed....

Julian

P.S. Not hopeful on that one

Bride's are going to discern what they will from CMA or Martin fecking Lewis or whoever regardless of the legal standing.

What we actually need (and scrolll back I've been saying this since March, is suppliers to act like their business is a ing business and treat it so.

All of this "oh hun don't worry we'll look after you babes xoxo" is nonsense. There waa a supplier, an actual supplier, on a massive Scottish FB wedding page at the weekend telling brides to email The Judge (a consumer rights column in the Daily Record that usually deals with dodgy windiow companies and 2nd hand car salesmen if they didn't refund!!!

Clearly just trying to score brownie points vut me, a supplier suggesting brides go to the national press to shame someone who decidea theur ts and xs actually mean sonething....

I've got a fair bit of college and uni level contract law learning under my belt and I cannot wait fir someone to try and strongarm me on this.

Sidenote. Mr 50% has gone awful quiet deapite automated reminders that his payment is overdue and it could result in cancellation. I'm going fire off a rext and if nothing comes back our next correspondence will be notification of a void booking due to non payney. We'll see if he gets his finger out then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Bride's are going to discern what they will from CMA or Martin fecking Lewis or whoever regardless of the legal standing.
    Very true. I'm still amazed at the number of people who call up and are surprised when I tell them that celebrations are still technically not allowed. Even Boris has been reasonably clear on that one for a while.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

My flabber has been ghasted!

I've been dealing with my local MP (not known for responding until it's too late and a government announcement has been made). Well actually....I've sort of been badgering her a lot.

She knows my story (fallen through the safety nets as only 11 months FT self employed, previous employer no longer in existence), and I actually asked her if there was a way the Local Authority grants which have been unclaimed can be diverted to businesses like mine, if only to cover things like insurance and storage costs (after all, I now have a "job" which sort of pays the bills on the personal front)

Her response came through today:

"Thank you for detailing your idea for reusing some of the Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund for businesses like yours. I hope you don’t mind me clarifying that local authorities did have the discretion as part of the original fund to set aside some of the funding for businesses like yours who did not qualify for other grants. I understand that East Cambridgeshire District Council chose to focus all of the Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund on the four priority categories listed in the guidance due to the high volume of these businesses within the area. Having said this, I have written to the Chief Executive of East Cambridgeshire District Council, John Hill, to ask him to consider the idea of directing any unused funds to business like yours. I will write to you again once I have received a response."

Fingers crossed, there might be something available
    I'm not asking for a salary to be paid (that's sort of covered now), but any help just to keep the business in hibernation by covering the ongoing costs of running a business would be very nice

I've also had an actual individual response from my MP which has given him some credibility for once:

Thank you so much for writing to me regarding the DJ industry and the coronavirus pandemic. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay in responding to you, as you may appreciate I have recently received a great deal of correspondence from constituents during the pandemic.

I am so sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have experienced owing to the coronavirus pandemic. I appreciate how important this issue is to you and so I would of course be more than happy to raise this issue with the Treasury, to ask that it be looked into.

I will write to you again once I have received a response. Until then, and as ever, if there is anything further I can do to be of assistance to you then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me again. Thank you once again for writing to me.
    I was quite surprised!
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    My flabber has been ghasted!
    I'm pleased to hear this. I know I've been banging the drum about writing to MPs, but it can be very effective, and they do carry a lot of weight when they take on an issue.

Fingers crossed in a positive outcome.

If nothing else, I think many people might see their MP in a different way after this (depending on how they've handled it). Suddenly, it's less about the 'colour they represent' and more about how much they work for their local constituency.

Sadly I read a government response to the impending nightclub armageddon that went back to the standard response of 'unprecedented package of support with loans and grants', so I fear that any cries for help might fall on death ears. At best, I think we're going to get an early reopening of dance floors in a limited, and possibly unsafe, form.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Sadly I read a government response to the impending nightclub armageddon that went back to the standard response of 'unprecedented package of support with loans and grants', so I fear that any cries for help might fall on death ears. At best, I think we're going to get an early reopening of dance floors in a limited, and possibly unsafe, form.
    I think we will get increased numbers (especially weddings) but no dancefloor activity still.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I think we will get increased numbers (especially weddings) but no dancefloor activity still.
    Welcome to my world.

Oh come on folks, somebody was bound to say it, might as well be me.
    One part of me says " even that would be a licence to work, and very very welcome", but the cautious part of me is thinking " well yes, but at current infection levels, is it actually safe? I mean safe enough, safe"?

Yours, confused Old Git.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    The numbers will increase but not for more than 1-2 years, that's sad because not all of us have this time and some of us will have to do something different for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    One part of me says " even that would be a licence to work, and very very welcome",
    I guess this is why people are focusing so much on Karaoke - it's probably one of the few services that a lot of us provide that takes place in currently open venues (bars) and can be considered (vaguely) entertaining without involving high volume levels or dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    ...but the cautious part of me is thinking " well yes, but at current infection levels, is it actually safe? I mean safe enough, safe"?
    Infection levels are currently at between 5 and 10 cases per 100,000 population around most of the country and coming closer to 100 in 100,000 in "problem areas". So the current reality is that you're very unlikely to meet someone who is infectious. The problem is that, if there aren't controls in place to reduce transmission (or controls/guidelines aren't being followed), 10 cases per 100,000 could easily turn into 1,000 or even 5,000 cases per 100,000 in the course of a week.