Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I didn't make it clear my comment was a prediction - I didn't expect it to come true *that* quickly.

And with the extension of Furlough until March, we may see further support through the winter.

But with these announcements, I can see further nervousness over weddings and events even for next summer, sadly.
    I agree, the financial help is great, but is that subtly saying "Don't expect anything to change till after March" ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I agree, the financial help is great, but is that subtly saying "Don't expect anything to change till after March" ?
    They'd already said the rule of 6 was likely to stay in place for 6 months (i.e. until the end of March). So.... yeah.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Being conscious of rule 20, with the ever-watchful eye of Pete, there is a fair amount of talk around that these restrictions will be purposefully extended into the New Year (except for a short respite over Christmas). The reason: the impending No Deal Brexit. It's convenient to hide the real impact of Brexit under the Coronavirus pandemic. It will be very hard to clearly differentiate what issues are being caused by Coronavirus and what is being caused by Brexit.

It's important because it's increasingly looking like there will be a significant impact to normal life well into next year. Someone asked travel expect Simon Calder yesterday if he would recommend booking a holiday for March. He said 'follow the money' - if furlough has been extended to that date, then there's good reason for that, so he advised against booking a holiday for March.

Bearing in mind that the Rishi Sunak has been keen to wean the country off furlough and wind down the scheme, this was quite a considerable extension - way beyond what even I expected, and I don't think we can ignore what that means. It's the strongest signal yet that there will be considerable disruption until at least March.

I can see January being the month when panic sets in for 2021 brides who realise that there is still no return to normality on the horizon.

If anyone is still hanging on waiting to be able to get back to work and is reliant on income from DJ'ing, if you've not yet done so, I strongly recommend seeking alternative work in the meantime. Whilst the Government poster about Retraining wasn't well worded, I don't think anyone should misunderstand the intentions behind that poster.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    If anyone is still hanging on waiting to be able to get back to work and is reliant on income from DJ'ing, if you've not yet done so, I strongly recommend seeking alternative work in the meantime. Whilst the Government poster about Retraining wasn't well worded, I don't think anyone should misunderstand the intentions behind that poster.
    Exactly this !!! There are so many Full time DJs still not actively seeking an alternative income. Fair enough, a lot have wives who don't mind supporting them, some have suddenly remembered they in fact already had another job, but there are still some adament we will be back soon - then again these are the same ones in June that announced they were 'Back to work'

Had a chat with a group of local DJs earlier and the question was discussed about if we EVER will get back to normal - With Scotlands Tier 0 (the new normal) only allowing weddings up to 50 people still, it is very questionable.

Must say, this working 5 days a week is taking its toll on me though
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

May I have a go with that crystal ball you're using please Gavin? Seems very powerful, I could just do with Saturday's lottery numbers.

The idea that it's all a conspiracy to camouflage Brexit is interesting, ( and yes, it's skating on thin ice, especially if I'm in a particularly grumpy mood). One esteemed colleague suggested on Facebook that all the world's leaders had been replaced by aliens, which is why they're all singing from the same hymnsheet. I won't divulge my favourite conspiracy theory, as it's probably against forum rules, but it seems to me to fit a lot of the facts.

Anyhoo, I think it's been evident for a long time that we're not going back to work as we know it any time soon, ie until at least mid 2021. I know I'm going to get some gigs which were rescheduled into early 2021 moved again, cancelled, or asking for refunds. Merry blasted Christmas.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    suddenly, the £2K,and weeks of work spent on the new improved, insulated, weatherproof Disco Storage Facility ( shed) looks less of a waste of money.
    Jumping back in time here now, but needs must.

I'm forking out around £1400 pa on storage at the moment in a container facility.
    As it looks like it's going to be a long time before we're out on the road in any proper sense and because my existing garden shed is now rotting beyond repair, this is something I'm seriously considering doing (it's a legimate expense for storage as far as I can see and it's going to cut costs).

The questions are many though...
    How do you insulate/damp proof a wooden shed to a standard which is going to preserve the kit?
    Is there a best type to get (I can fit 10x8 foot)?
    Where should I be looking?

I can sort power to it for background heating/dehumidifier and an alarm system. The only downside is that being in a shed, the kit wouldn't be insured whilst in storage (I've already asked that one and they insist on brick buildings or secure storage like I'm already using).

Anyone got any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Jumping back in time here now, but needs must.

I'm forking out around £1400 pa on storage at the moment in a container facility.
    As it looks like it's going to be a long time before we're out on the road in any proper sense and because my existing garden shed is now rotting beyond repair, this is something I'm seriously considering doing (it's a legimate expense for storage as far as I can see and it's going to cut costs).

The questions are many though...
    How do you insulate/damp proof a wooden shed to a standard which is going to preserve the kit?
    Is there a best type to get (I can fit 10x8 foot)?
    Where should I be looking?

I can sort power to it for background heating/dehumidifier and an alarm system. The only downside is that being in a shed, the kit wouldn't be insured whilst in storage (I've already asked that one and they insist on brick buildings or secure storage like I'm already using).
    In theory a cunning plan, Baldrick, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Anyone got any advice?
    Step into my office, Sir. Have a coffee, take the weight off your wallet ( just like I'm about to do).

Look Son, it ain't gonna be cheap. Here's the basic premise. The base is a concrete slab, preferably over insulation, just like the floors in modern houses. The outer skin is Loglap, cos it's pretty, and it's the thickest, most durable timber. ( Unless you get a real Log Cabin, and that's eye-wateringly expensive). You put insulation in the ribs inside, and sandwich this with sheet material ( OSB, ply, MDF, Melamine, whatever). Roof is sheet material too, with an insulation sandwich likewise. Pent roof is easier than Apex, and simplest roofing material is Torch-on Felt. Door is insulated, too, and must fit super snug. Pics of mine might appear in the gallery when I've collected myself later.

Cost? 12ftx8ft approx, Height 6ft rear, 8ft front, Self build, calling in favours left right and centre, materials at trade, or even cheaper:

Typing this with tears in my eyes.

Haven't got an exact figure, but I know best part of £2k disappeared. Now pardon me, while I go have a lie down.

You could consider a used steel shipping container, a decent 8' x 10' would set you back around £1000 but depending on access to where you would want it, transport and a crane would probably be needed. The major benefits are, they can be made very secure, they're fireproof, cheap to maintain and you would likely to e able to obtain insurance for the contents.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    You could consider a used steel shipping container, a decent 8' x 10' would set you back around £1000 but depending on access to where you would want it, transport and a crane would probably be needed. The major benefits are, they can be made very secure, they're fireproof, cheap to maintain and you would likely to e able to obtain insurance for the contents.
    Also blindingly ugly, and a swine for condensation. Just saying.

For exactly the reasons you cite, one of those was very strongly considered as the best option for me. You'd definitely want to insulate and board it inside to cut condensation, and make it user friendly. Then build a shed over it for aesthetics.

A quick note on the upcoming SEISS Grant 5.

This one will require turnover figures to be submitted, to show if your turnover has dropped by 30% or more to get the full grant.

However, those who missed out on earlier SEISS grants, may be pleased to read the following from Martin Lewis:

“If you’re one of the new self-employed, you will automatically get the full 80 percent.

“This is because there can’t be a comparative year for you, and you didn’t receive grant one, two and three."