Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Devil's advocate mode engaged> Younger readers will not remember the " Keep music live " campaign from many years ago. Last time I checked, I only pressed play on the equipment, I didn't sing, or " do a Nigel". According to the letter of the rules, Nigel bashing out a few chords, and Karaoke are banned. Everything else is fair game. <Devil's advocate mode disengaged.
    As I said....

Music and live performances that are likely to cause people to break social distancing rules or need to raise their voices (and that is either the performer or the audience) are not allowed.
    Technically, anything else is fair game. Whisper karaoke? Seated silent discos?

Some of the supposedly "socially distanced" VE day celebrations that I saw on social media totally blow these guidelines apart and they were all weeks ago so I'm sure we're going to see people who completely ignore the rules (or at least use their own interpretations).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I've read that although weddings are now permitted, only up to 30 guests are allowed & receptions are still out of the question. No big surprises there, despite the protestations & assertions on many a Facebook muppet echo chamber

Talking

Devil's advocate mode engaged> Younger readers will not remember the " Keep music live " campaign from many years ago. Last time I checked, I only pressed play on the equipment, I didn't sing, or " do a Nigel". According to the letter of the rules, Nigel bashing out a few chords, and Karaoke are banned. Everything else is fair game. <Devil's advocate mode disengaged.

For our younger readers, who don't remember Nigel ( and his later incarnations ) just be thankful.
    “Live music” is a term in English used to describe music, played by human beings in a real time concert. Usually performing on an instrument or with your voice. You are “playing live” when you get on stage and make music there at that moment.

I wonder whether the guidance released today could be a little loose, but in any case singing is not allowed and volume levels restricted, so if someone wants to be stuck in the pub corner playing 'Uptown Funk' I suppose they might be able to

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I've read that although weddings are now permitted, only up to 30 guests are allowed & receptions are still out of the question. No big surprises there, despite the protestations & assertions on many a Facebook muppet echo chamber
    That's correct but only in places of worship i.e. churches and no singing.

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    “Live music” is a term in English used to describe music, played by human beings in a real time concert. Usually performing on an instrument or with your voice. You are “playing live” when you get on stage and make music there at that moment.

I wonder whether the guidance released today could be a little loose, but in any case singing is not allowed and volume levels restricted, so if someone wants to be stuck in the pub corner playing 'Uptown Funk' I suppose they might be able to

Oh I've been on the bill as 'live music' in the past, and yes they were referring to me 'a mere dj' as live music, not mistaking me for a band. Mind, some of the strops I've thrown over the years you could easily have mistaken me for a band spokesperson

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Bristol is probably worse. We're a city with a drinking problem, but still nowhere near as bad as Scotland
    I may or may not have slipped a peanut butter irish cream into my post work out shake

In my defence it's teacher's new year up here today

Related to that, our education secretary John Swinney has gone from last week saying things weren't going to be normal for the year in schools to, we're gunning for full return to timetable in August.

My school has 110ish kids and even with 1m social distancing we couldn't adhere to all of the rules, extrapolate that to the mainstream school next door with 1200+ kids... if they're going to let things slide for schools then there's scope for it to slide for other sectors. As I said before - there's a tipping point economically we need to avoid, and the government knows this.

Not to be cynical but if push comes to shove, for some, a 2nd wave of a virus that kills largely elderly people whose cost to the state is significant compared to their input might just be a burden we have to bear if it means keeping young folk who do actually pay taxes and don't take up hospital beds, care homes and social services in work....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

Not to be cynical but if push comes to shove, for some, a 2nd wave of a virus that kills largely elderly people whose cost to the state is significant compared to their input might just be a burden we have to bear if it means keeping young folk who do actually pay taxes and don't take up hospital beds, care homes and social services in work....
    Jim, you could be viewed as sailing perilously close to the wind re breaking forum guidelines about politics with that. It is however, a valid point, and even if a little heartless ( said the over sixty white haired old mod ) it's effectively the " herd immunity " policy.

I've said it before, and I stand by the view which is not a million miles divergent from Jim's point, that if we're not careful, the cure could be worse than the disease. Some of my colleagues are looking forwards to discos seven days a week soon, as we service the pent up demand. A " glass brimming over" viewpoint. I think the glass is empty, as venues closed in March never reopen. A Best Western in Hull will not reopen, and that's a big one to lose.

I think the only growth areas will be the " tent/shed/barn in a field " venues, with low staff numbers, and low overheads. I'm still very pessimistic about the future, sorry.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Related to that, our education secretary John Swinney has gone from last week saying things weren't going to be normal for the year in schools to, we're gunning for full return to timetable in August.
    I keep forgetting that the Welsh/Scottish administrations are setting their own rules. From what I've seen, they're both being more cautious than England.

It's tough to argue with your reasoning, but harder to bear when your daughter also fits into the highly vulnerable category.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I think the only growth areas will be the " tent/shed/barn in a field " venues, with low staff numbers, and low overheads. I'm still very pessimistic about the future, sorry.
    To be fair, in this neck of the woods those have been the only growth areas of late anyway.

I was talking to a customer who lives next door to one of my regular stately homes yesterday (in fact I did the last wedding they did before lockdown). By all accounts, it was becoming very rare to see weddings happening anyway over the past year or so! Probably 90% of my weddings last year, and probably the same next year (were this year but hey-ho) are also in tents and barns.

I think though that we'll also see a massive resurgence of the DIY approach in village halls again.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I think though that we'll also see a massive resurgence of the DIY approach in village halls again.
    I think you could well be correct, I've had several calls inquiring after PA/lighting hire, to date, I've batted them away until the situation becomes clearer which I think it could well do in the next couple of months, provided of course there's no 2nd wave of transmission. I wouldn't like to bet on that not happening though especially as the pubs are opening again, I just can't see the social distancing guidelines being taken any notice of after a few pints.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire