Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    To add a bit of levity to all of this, I popped a short video onto my social media feeds this morning and I've had a lot of positive comments about it:

I've just sat in on a webcast with a bunch of supposed events industry professionals and based on the comments on the feed, the venues have their heads buried in the sand. Most are still talking about private (not corporate) events going ahead for weeks/months from now and seem to have no clue as to what's going on. They also seem to be blissfully unaware of the legal position they might be in.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

I've just sat in on a webcast with a bunch of supposed events industry professionals and based on the comments on the feed, the venues have their heads buried in the sand. Most are still talking about private (not corporate) events going ahead for weeks/months from now and seem to have no clue as to what's going on. They also seem to be blissfully unaware of the legal position they might be in.

Julian
    This is the problem. Because as the moment it's only ADVISORY, it's a no-win situation. Many of the big business are closing down now (cinema's etc according to BBC) and I'm hearing rumours (and they are only rumours) that the likes of 'spoons are about to follow suit.

Question....what happens if a guest can prove they've contracted the virus at one of these venues after they've been "advised" not to attend non-essential gatherings (and non-essential does sadly include everything we do). Is the venue then liable for possibly facilitating the spread of the virus? Would WE be partially liable (especially if we're able to carry on as normal and potential spread it from party to party without being aware we even have it?)

I'm desperately trying to find out about PLI at the moment and whether we're still covered. My stance at the moment is that if the party/wedding is still going ahead and that the venue are happy for that to happen, then I'll be there so long as I'm covered on the PLI front (because I'm not going to risk working without it). Bear in mind that a lot of my weddings happen in marquees in private grounds, it's a tricky situation.

To add a bit of levity to all of this, I popped a short video onto my social media feeds this morning and I've had a lot of positive comments about it:
    Benny - you've got NO IDEA how much that's just cheered me up

That was a genuine laugh out loud watch Benny!

Regarding anyone being able to prove they caught the virus from an event they attended... Unlikely unless they aren't the only one. Besides I think any court would go on the side of the plaintiff had already been advised to stay away - advice they wilfully ignored - case closed... Surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Question....what happens if a guest can prove they've contracted the virus at one of these venues after they've been "advised" not to attend non-essential gatherings (and non-essential does sadly include everything we do). Is the venue then liable for possibly facilitating the spread of the virus? Would WE be partially liable (especially if we're able to carry on as normal and potential spread it from party to party without being aware we even have it?)

I'm desperately trying to find out about PLI at the moment and whether we're still covered. My stance at the moment is that if the party/wedding is still going ahead and that the venue are happy for that to happen, then I'll be there so long as I'm covered on the PLI front (because I'm not going to risk working without it). Bear in mind that a lot of my weddings happen in marquees in private grounds, it's a tricky situation.
    I don't like the line of people saying 'but this is just the flu', but ultimately that's what this is.

The Government has put the onus on US (population) to stay at home, rather than asking businesses to close.

So I can't see how you can sue Wetherspoons for getting Coronavirus, when you as an individual were advised to stay at home.

Equally, you wouldn't sue Wetherspoons from getting the flu from Janet in the booth next to you.

From what it appears, the insurers are unlikely to pay out on much at the moment.

Of course this is pretty much unchartered territory for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    and I'm hearing rumours (and they are only rumours) that the likes of 'spoons are about to follow suit.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Not with a beer festival due at the end of the month!

Didn't I read that alcohol kills the virus? Mayhap a 'spoons is the safest place?

OK, whimsy over, pull yourself together, man. Another booking hites the dust, venue is closing due to virus, so client and I are hoping to reschedule, maybe even next year!

And Benny: Many a true word...........I've travelled twenty miles, in a fruitless search for toilet paper. Good job I'm not yet crapping myself about losing bookings.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 17-03-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

SIGN OF THE TIMES

As some of you may know, I work full time for Santander. I have always found them to be an excellent employer.

Usually in my branch we have between 8 and 13 people working at any one time. From next week it will be 4!! No in branch appointments (my usual job).

All staff will work 1 week on 1 week off with no drop in pay and our opening times will be 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday, NO SATURDAYS.

I am guessing we are the first of many!

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    SIGN OF THE TIMES

As some of you may know, I work full time for Santander. I have always found them to be an excellent employer.

Usually in my branch we have between 8 and 13 people working at any one time. From next week it will be 4!! No in branch appointments (my usual job).

All staff will work 1 week on 1 week off with no drop in pay and our opening times will be 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday, NO SATURDAYS.

Funny you should say that. I've just seen something I thought I'd NEVER see!
    One of the local Tesco megastores (one of the biggest in the country) is to stop trading 24 hours and close at 10pm every night. They haven't given any reason for it, but I'm assuming it's to stop people trying to stockpile whilst they're trying to re-load the shelves

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    SIGN OF THE TIMES

My day job is as a Performance Analyst for DB Cargo Rail UK. All of us office wallahs have been told that, where we are able and have the equipment, we are to work from home for the foreseeable future. Luckily, I'm in that group as I have worked from home for 18 months due to my wife's arthritis and hip replacement. So for me, it's not too much of a problem. I do have a father-in-law who recently had pneumonia, and I also have a two week old granddaughter 3 doors away, so we do have concerns about their health being affected, possibly by us.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    M I do have a father-in-law who recently had pneumonia, and I also have a two week old granddaughter 3 doors away, so we do have concerns about their health being affected, possibly by us.
    Absolutely. You don't want to be going out and doing those discos, where all those germ ridden folk are invading your personal space. I'd stay at home, and pass 'em on to some poor unsuspecting Herbert.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Absolutely. You don't want to be going out and doing those discos, where all those germ ridden folk are invading your personal space. I'd stay at home, and pass 'em on to some poor unsuspecting Herbert.

Like ME!!!!

#HaveVanWillingToTravel