Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Looks like one DJ is still working

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/05/weddi...rfew-13372086/

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Already had several of those. I'm just letting them move now so long as the date's available - at least it's filling the 2022 diary up.
    IF (and I think it's a big IF) some sort of normality returns next year, I'm sure i'll very quickly re-fill their original dates without too much problem.
    Cancellation as far as my t's and c's are concerned - there's nothing just now saying we won't have a normal wedding in October next year otherwise what's the point of even having a contract in the first place if you're just going to ignore it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Cancellation as far as my t's and c's are concerned - there's nothing just now saying we won't have a normal wedding in October next year otherwise what's the point of even having a contract in the first place if you're just going to ignore it?
    You are of course right Jim. It should be treated as a cancellation.

D'ya know what though? I'm so absolutely tired of all of this mentally now that I'm happy just to keep the customer happy and roll with it.

Once things have a clearer outlook then I'll start enforcing things again. It might not technically be the right and proper way to do things, but for me it works and keeps things nice and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    You are of course right Jim. It should be treated as a cancellation.

D'ya know what though? I'm so absolutely tired of all of this mentally now that I'm happy just to keep the customer happy and roll with it.

Once things have a clearer outlook then I'll start enforcing things again. It might not technically be the right and proper way to do things, but for me it works and keeps things nice and simple.
    I'm coming at it with the reverse outlook - the way ti keep things ckear and simple is to work to the terms if tge contract as it pertains to the client at whatever time they seek to go against them.

I totally get your point but where do you draw the line and start tightening things up? You risk creating a 2 tier set to f clients - those you bent the terms for and those you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    We're a minor supplier in their world and they won't change their behavior because of us.

If we go with the flow what do we get? An empty date, a booking for a future date, a happy client and a deposit that stays in the bank.

If we enforce terms and treat it as a cancellation, what do we get? An empty date, an unhappy client (as they're likely to forfeit the deposit and book someone else) and a deposit that stays in the bank. Absolute best case is that they stick with us and pay another deposit so we're a few quid up.

When the booking is still a year away, I'm similarly relaxed about my terms as I know the dates are likely to be filled by a new client (even in the current situation). I don't know how big your deposits are, but is it really worth arguing with a client over it?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

And just to be controversial, I ditched all contracts and deposits years ago as it was just another layer of admin to deal with. I work on the basis that the customer books me (just a verbal or email agreement), I turn up and do the job, they pay. Works well all round overall. Yes I've ended up with the odd cancellation and not been able to rebook a date but it's rare, most people organising an event go ahead with it, but it's a whole load less work and stress for me. It also makes it easier to amend the invoice for any applicable extras.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    We're a minor supplier in their world and they won't change their behavior because of us.

If we go with the flow what do we get? An empty date, a booking for a future date, a happy client and a deposit that stays in the bank.

If we enforce terms and treat it as a cancellation, what do we get? An empty date, an unhappy client (as they're likely to forfeit the deposit and book someone else) and a deposit that stays in the bank. Absolute best case is that they stick with us and pay another deposit so we're a few quid up.

When the booking is still a year away, I'm similarly relaxed about my terms as I know the dates are likely to be filled by a new client (even in the current situation). I don't know how big your deposits are, but is it really worth arguing with a client over it?

Julian
    Totally agree, at the moment it just isn't worth arguing about and IF the time comes when we do have to refund deposits, I am sure if you have been flexible all along, some will be a lot more pleasant with you too.

Moving dates is the least of our problems if you are full time - doing this as a hobby or part-time, the pressures are less so you can enforce things more strictly - certainly something the whole wedding industry is finding
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    And just to be controversial, I ditched all contracts and deposits years ago
    Incoming!

Are you Nigel in disguise? ( Our younger readers may not be familiar with the legend that was Nigel).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

No, no, I'm not Nigel in disguise. I guess I count as a younger reader...!

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Totally agree, at the moment it just isn't worth arguing about and IF the time comes when we do have to refund deposits, I am sure if you have been flexible all along, some will be a lot more pleasant with you too.

Moving dates is the least of our problems if you are full time - doing this as a hobby or part-time, the pressures are less so you can enforce things more strictly - certainly something the whole wedding industry is finding
    I'm not arguing - we've consensus in idem i.e. we've both agreed to the terms in my contract which is there to protect both parties for various eventualities. If people are going to get the bit between their teeth then they're entitled to but I'm entitled to adhere to my terms in the interest of my business.

They can't have all the leverage, COVID has come out of nowhere and scuppered our plans just as it has theirs and it's not our fault either.