Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Think the "middle ground" approach here is the best. It's certainly something similar that I'll be looking to get in my T&C's once I'm back up and running.

On a general note really hope not too many bookings are affected over the coming months.
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post
    On a general note really hope not too many bookings are affected over the coming months.
    Oh, they're being affected....in a big way. Two weddings and two school discos postponed in the past 48 hours, and I'm expecting more to come in the next few days as things get more serious.
    Thankfully, they're only POSTPONED. They still want to use me, just waiting to confirm dates etc. for when this nightmare is finally over.

I'm lucky. I have reserves which I can use to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table (if it ever becomes available again....Sainsbury's tonight was frightening with empty shelves!). The dear lady wife also has a full time job. I know of plenty in the wedding industry (not just DJs but stationers, toggers, decorators) who are literally passing baked clay blocks at the moment.

Thankfully, kids party bookings (apart from the two school discos), don't seem to be taking a hit and appear at the moment to be business as usual. They're not my favourite parties, but money is money

It's going to be a case of weathering the storm and hoping things calm down sooner rather than later. Who knows, the tail end of 2020 could make it a bumper year

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Who knows, the tail end of 2020 could make it a bumper year
    Here come the Gloucester Old Spots again!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

OK, despite doing my best to work on the principle that if I ignore the virus, it will leave me in peace, I have a suspicion it may not. As many of you know, I work with Penfold's " Legslappers", and all these gigs are reliant on ticket sales. Even before the virus scare hit, some weren't hitting high enough sales to go ahead, and I wonder if we may see people deciding to stay home, rather than buy tickets for something that may be cancelled anyway.

I hope not, but I'm not betting my life savings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    OK, despite doing my best to work on the principle that if I ignore the virus, it will leave me in peace, I have a suspicion it may not. As many of you know, I work with Penfold's " Legslappers", and all these gigs are reliant on ticket sales. Even before the virus scare hit, some weren't hitting high enough sales to go ahead, and I wonder if we may see people deciding to stay home, rather than buy tickets for something that may be cancelled anyway.

I hope not, but I'm not betting my life savings on it.
    Without being someone who takes a negative view on things and I hope I'm wrong but.......

People are going to be having their hours cut, losing their jobs etc... People are going to tighten the purse strings and I fear we'll have a knock on effect for future bookings, not just ones that we have in the diary now or are being considered.

Corporate events for example being a prime example. Can't be throwing a party if people are on zero hour contracts or had all their overtime slashed etc..

Thankfully we have a decent amount of weddings booked in the diary at present so I'm confident most if not all of those will go ahead (or moved to a later date) however I think next year will be iffy. We're not investing in any new kit for the near future as a result.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Without being someone who takes a negative view on things and I hope I'm wrong but.......

People are going to be having their hours cut, losing their jobs etc... People are going to tighten the purse strings and I fear we'll have a knock on effect for future bookings, not just ones that we have in the diary now or are being considered.

Corporate events for example being a prime example. Can't be throwing a party if people are on zero hour contracts or had all their overtime slashed etc..

Thankfully we have a decent amount of weddings booked in the diary at present so I'm confident most if not all of those will go ahead (or moved to a later date) however I think next year will be iffy. We're not investing in any new kit for the near future as a result.
    Neil, I think you've pretty much called it correctly there.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Neil, I think you've pretty much called it correctly there.
    8000 posts, one was bound to be correct
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Oh, they're being affected....in a big way. Two weddings and two school discos postponed in the past 48 hours, and I'm expecting more to come in the next few days as things get more serious.
    Thankfully, they're only POSTPONED. They still want to use me, just waiting to confirm dates etc. for when this nightmare is finally over.

I'm lucky. I have reserves which I can use to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table (if it ever becomes available again....Sainsbury's tonight was frightening with empty shelves!). The dear lady wife also has a full time job. I know of plenty in the wedding industry (not just DJs but stationers, toggers, decorators) who are literally passing baked clay blocks at the moment.

Thankfully, kids party bookings (apart from the two school discos), don't seem to be taking a hit and appear at the moment to be business as usual. They're not my favourite parties, but money is money

It's going to be a case of weathering the storm and hoping things calm down sooner rather than later. Who knows, the tail end of 2020 could make it a bumper year
    Well I was hoping when I got back setup that I wouldn't needing to do as many kids parties as I used to. I guess that idea will be going out the window! As you say it is definitely going to be a case of money is money.

I also think you are right that people will eventually want to be letting their hair down and just partying particularly after all this self isolating. At the end of the day people cannot be trapped in their homes forever!
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

A local venue that has just returned to me with renewed interest in my services has postponed an 18th for April, and a wedding for July is under review.
    I reckon probably the only events that may escape are the totally private " village hall " type gigs.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Current irritation level: Biblical

Reason: Facebook Posts From DJs

"Anyone else's enquiries dropped off?"

"Nah, not me, mate. I've had 10 enquiries today, 7 of them have booked, one is waiting to talk to her partner (they'll deffo book though), one is going to [use your imagination] me in lieu of payment and the other one only has a Sid budget. I'm propa, innit? Geezas like me have 5000 gigs a year and that's before I take into account my other DJs who only do 4000 gigs a year, but ya gotta start somewhere!"*

Gits.

*possibly exaggerated for comedic effect...but not by much