Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Live - how?

Default Facebook Live - how?

OK - I feel like I'm missing out a little here.

Everyone else is doing short sets to "cheer people up" (OK, I know it annoys the hell out of me). But....

I always do my local village primary school disco. They were heartbroken when it was cancelled, and I feel I could do something for them over Facebook (obviously with them all in their own homes etc.)
    I know the video will be pulled afterwards, and no problem with that. As far as I can see though, the live stream is usually unaffected. It can also be kept private to the kids and their parents - they've set up their own Facebook group (can I broadcast to just a specific group?)

But here's the question - how do you do the sound element of things. Is it literally a case of pumping out to a couple of studio speakers and letting the phone which is broadcasting pick it up? Or is that too simple?

#askingforafriend

If you use a free program called obs studio you can stream live, taking video from a number of sources (screen capture, webcam etc) and also audio from a number of sources (or just one - a laptop's line input).

Most 'pro' streamers use this, directly to YouTube. I'm not sure how to do it with Facebook live without using a phone (audio would suck with a phone mic).

Edit: if you search for 'how to stream to Facebook live using OBS studio,' you'll find out how to do it without even involving a phone

I would just use a second laptop to stream the audio through.

Most seem to use a speaker and pick that up - but it doesn't sound great.

Take the line out from your mixer (2 x photo) and plug that in to the line input of the laptop with webcam (minijack) that you'll be running the Facebook live on.

Then, use your mic to 'talk' to viewers. Will sound far, far better.

EDIT: This looks handy if you want to use your phone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzY238PnOcM
    Last edited by rth_discos; 28-03-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    If you use a free program called obs studio you can stream live, taking video from a number of sources (screen capture, webcam etc) and also audio from a number of sources (or just one - a laptop's line input).

Most 'pro' streamers use this, directly to YouTube. I'm not sure how to do it with Facebook live without using a phone (audio would suck with a phone mic).

Edit: if you search for 'how to stream to Facebook live using OBS studio,' you'll find out how to do it without even involving a phone
    Looking at this now Justin - thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I would just use a second laptop to stream the audio through.

Most seem to use a speaker and pick that up - but it doesn't sound great.

Take the line out from your mixer (2 x photo) and plug that in to the line input of the laptop with webcam (minijack) that you'll be running the Facebook live on.

Then, use your mic to 'talk' to viewers. Will sound far, far better.

EDIT: This looks handy if you want to use your phone... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzY238PnOcM
    I'm looking at the OBS option above at the moment Gavin and it's looking promising (I want to do it properly - those kids deserve a party). I've seen a LOT of the live streams recently (who hasn't - and you'll appreciate more than most in here how many are being removed from certain FB groups!), and yes, the sound on a lot of them is diabolical!

Having to update a Windows (urgh!) machine that I've not used in 12 months to get the webcam to work so the feed will indeed be from a separate machine.

It looks like OBS does everything I need it to do. Will do some proper testing tomorrow.

The problem I have is the availability of kit (aka cables) at home. My gear is stored 10 miles away and fetching is isn't deemed to be "essential travel" is this neck of the woods (although a trip to queue up at Waitrose for wine and bog roll is ). And fair play to Mr Plod - the restrictions are in place for a reason and I'm fully intending to follow them without breaking the rules (unlike a lot of my neighbours who suddenly seem to have taken up exercise having previously been couch potatoes )

I have my controller, my Xenyx and a limited supply of spare cables which I thought to bring home before the lockdown for sorting out - and I think I might be lucky. If not, it's a looooong wait from Amazon as they seem to be prioritising deliveries essential to fighting the virus over and above other stuff (and rightly so).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Having to update a Windows (urgh!) machine that I've not used in 12 months to get the webcam to work so the feed will indeed be from a separate machine.
    Oi! Maligning the work of Mr Gates is a bad idea on a Forum policed by a Grumpy Old Plod who even had Windows phones, till everybody stopped making the apps for them. ( Still the best phones I've ever used )
    However, as my latest Nokia is almost as bad as the legendary 5120 which used the same button to make or end calls, offering the potential for dialling people you didn't intend to on countless occasions, I may be calling for advice on possible fruit based products.
    If not, it's a looooong wait from Amazon as they seem to be prioritising deliveries essential to fighting the virus over and above other stuff (and rightly so).
    Amazon? Amazon? If you're not a Prime customer ( and that's a rip off, unless you're a very heavy user) then check out CPC I know they're the wrong side of the Pennines, but they're very good, and there's a little wrinkle for quick delivery.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm looking at the OBS option above at the moment Gavin and it's looking promising (I want to do it properly - those kids deserve a party). I've seen a LOT of the live streams recently (who hasn't - and you'll appreciate more than most in here how many are being removed from certain FB groups!), and yes, the sound on a lot of them is diabolical!
    The only reason to use OBS is if you are using multiple video and/or audio sources.

If you're just using one camera, and one audio feed (ie, from your mixer), then there's no need to use OBS - it adds an unnecessary layer in.

Don't get wrong, OBS is an amazing piece of software, and very clever, but is effectively a software 'vision mixer', used to control different cameras and sources.

The problem I have is the availability of kit (aka cables) at home. My gear is stored 10 miles away and fetching is isn't deemed to be "essential travel" is this neck of the woods (although a trip to queue up at Waitrose for wine and bog roll is ). And fair play to Mr Plod - the restrictions are in place for a reason and I'm fully intending to follow them without breaking the rules (unlike a lot of my neighbours who suddenly seem to have taken up exercise having previously been couch potatoes )

I have my controller, my Xenyx and a limited supply of spare cables which I thought to bring home before the lockdown for sorting out - and I think I might be lucky. If not, it's a looooong wait from Amazon as they seem to be prioritising deliveries essential to fighting the virus over and above other stuff (and rightly so).
    Not essential? NOT ESSENTIAL?! Surely going to fetch cables so you can do a live stream to cheer up kids could be classed as essential. Say it with me now, loud & proud....

Won't somebody please think of the children??

Well I've had a bash at testing for live streaming & my conclusion is.... none of my webcams are any good in domestic lighting. So.. I augmented my lighting with some LED PARs... nope still not enough & all I get is very grainy awful looking video. Ah! Try my DSLR over USB right? No that won't work either. It'd be a different matter if I had a USB HDMI capture device, but I don't..

OH! You can use an Android phone as a webcam for a laptop! Off I went & grabbed a phone app & a PC app to work with it.. it's payware Then I tried another.. also payware

So it's back to the drawing board for me... aka I GIVE UP!

Riiight. My Logitech C270 is just too grainy.

USB capture of my DSLR isn't gonna happen without paying $30.

HDMI capture of my DSLR isn't gonna happen without paying £££. Word to the wise - in general, video capture from DSLRs is bad for the camera if done for periods longer than about 20 minutes apparently (the sensor gets hot).

Using my android phone over USB as a webcam isn't gonna happen without paying.

Buying a newer webcam would be an option if all the decent affordable ones weren't already sold out everywhere. Repeat after me - you DO NOT need a webcam to work from home, people

Tonight I tried a new way. Using an app on my droidy phone to cast its main camera out over wifi. Then installed a directshow filter on my spare laptop and OBS can slurp it right up. The resulting video looks nice.

Another way would be to grab a USB soundcard for the phone, plug that into a mixer output & off you go.. Then you just need to sort out something to hold the phone still...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Riiight. My Logitech C270 is just too grainy.

USB capture of my DSLR isn't gonna happen without paying $30.

HDMI capture of my DSLR isn't gonna happen without paying £££. Word to the wise - in general, video capture from DSLRs is bad for the camera if done for periods longer than about 20 minutes apparently (the sensor gets hot).

Using my android phone over USB as a webcam isn't gonna happen without paying.

Buying a newer webcam would be an option if all the decent affordable ones weren't already sold out everywhere. Repeat after me - you DO NOT need a webcam to work from home, people

Tonight I tried a new way. Using an app on my droidy phone to cast its main camera out over wifi. Then installed a directshow filter on my spare laptop and OBS can slurp it right up. The resulting video looks nice.

Another way would be to grab a USB soundcard for the phone, plug that into a mixer output & off you go.. Then you just need to sort out something to hold the phone still...
    Can you not just run it off you're phone or laptop?

My bro and cousin have streamed sets this weekend no bother and we're looking at doing a collective thing later in the week - I'll either be phone or 2nd macbook filming and don't see how that would be a problem - No one cares and FB is going to condense the out of your AV quality any way so no idea why you're looking at using a DSLR or the like....