Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Headphone advice needed

Default Headphone advice needed

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for home use, I've narrowed my choice to 2 models:
    #1 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms
    #2 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 32 Ohms
    They will mostly used with a laptop and occasionally a tablet, I like the music to have a good bass response which research suggests the 80 Ohms version would be the best choice for sound quality, but, may be lacking in the volume department.
    The 32 Ohms version would give the better volume level but research suggests they are a bit lightweight on the bass. Has anyone got experience with either of these models? If you have, which one would you go for?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I have a pair of the DT-770 Pro headphones.

They are brilliant - I love them.

To throw a spanner in the works, I have the 250ohm version, but have always used them on the headphones out of a mixer. I'm sure I've used them on my laptop and had satisfactory results.

Just checked them on my mobile, and I had to have the volume at max on the phone to get the headphones to a 'loud' state. I probably wouldn't want them any louder than that though.

So on that basis, I'd recommend the 80ohm, unless you need to drive them *really* loud.

My friend Mike Russell suggests the 32ohm if you're using them exclusively on tablets/mobile phones though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ0h4b2dEB8
    Last edited by rth_discos; 15-05-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    My friend Mike Russell suggests the 32ohm if you're using them exclusively on tablets/mobile phones though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ0h4b2dEB8
    Stuff me, that's a blast from my past!

Thanks for the advice fellas, I've gone with the 80ohm version, I wanted the sound a bit bass heavy, but don't need them loud enough to make my ears bleed. I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

The headphones arrived yesterday, first impression they are extremely well made and look like they'll last a lifetime. I need not haver worried they might not be loud enough when used with a laptop, my worry was unfounded, they have sufficient volume so long as the tracks were recorded at a decent amplitude. The quality of the sound was amazing, I heard details on tracks I didn't know existed, I'm very pleased I went with the 80ohm version, they sounded even better when fed of a mixer, the bass was superb. Last but not least, they are undoubtedly the most comfortable headphones I have ever used, the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms are a 10 / 10 from me.

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    The headphones arrived yesterday, first impression they are extremely well made and look like they'll last a lifetime. I need not haver worried they might not be loud enough when used with a laptop, my worry was unfounded, they have sufficient volume so long as the tracks were recorded at a decent amplitude. The quality of the sound was amazing, I heard details on tracks I didn't know existed, I'm very pleased I went with the 80ohm version, they sounded even better when fed of a mixer, the bass was superb. Last but not least, they are undoubtedly the most comfortable headphones I have ever used, the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms are a 10 / 10 from me.
    That's great to hear. I've owned mine since 2012 and they're still going strong (and have stood up to the daily use of many radio shows, which involves them being put on and taken off regularly over a 4 hour period!) - in fact if you saw them you'd think they were less than a year old! Excellent headphones. You'll get great value from them.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    That's great to hear. I've owned mine since 2012 and they're still going strong (and have stood up to the daily use of many radio shows, which involves them being put on and taken off regularly over a 4 hour period!) - in fact if you saw them you'd think they were less than a year old! Excellent headphones. You'll get great value from them.
    Thank you for the advice and recommendation it was spot-on. The thing I really like about this forum is: if you ask the question, you usually get a reply from someone who has the personal experience/knowledge to give it, (unlike many other sources)

Disco 4 Hire