Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favourite Light Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    Was the Martin Mania version of the Synchrozap the EFX 800?
    Yes that's the one, I also still have a pair of EFX 600's which is the discharge lamp version of the very popular EFX 500, a sort of halfway house between the Acrobat and the Wizard. I forgot to mention earlier another favorite was the Martin EGO X3 I think, (but could have been the X5) it had a kaleidoscope effect, great for creating a backdrop at kids parties
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Yes that's the one, I also still have a pair of EFX 600's which is the discharge lamp version of the very popular EFX 500, a sort of halfway house between the Acrobat and the Wizard. I forgot to mention earlier another favorite was the Martin EGO X3 I think, (but could have been the X5) it had a kaleidoscope effect, great for creating a backdrop at kids parties
    I never owned an EXF 800. I had have a pair of the EFX 700's which were the Moonflowers. They were great but really heavy.

I also had a pair of the EGO 3's which were the kaleidoscope effect and I agree they were great. They weren't DMX but you could link them together and control their speed through a basic Martin hand held controller.

Just to clarify to start with that I predominantly do lighting now and have got daft amounts of kit for one person. I've got lots of lights that are technically better than some of these, but as for favourites, read on...

No way can I remember all the fixtures I've had but the stand out favourite has to be Clay Paky Goldenscan HPEs. I'd been in awe of them for many years of clubbing and raving through the 90s, when I finally bought a set of 4 for spares/repair. Inevitably once I got them home and started going through them they were extremely knackered having had very hard lives, and I basically got 2 going but not 100% reliably so never actually used them on a gig.

As for lights I've actually owned and used(!), it might have to be the Martin Sweeper. Big investment for me at the time, and seemed so modern compared to anything else I had. Although of course I'll always have a soft spot for the 4 Martin Pro218 Mk2s I bought brand new in 1997, my first 'grown up' lights. I spent a night or 2 in hospital because of them, I basically gave myself temporary amnesia when I programmed some really weird effects into them at home! Oh, but then there were the Starlite Mk5s, massive heavy moving heads with 1200w discharge lamps, seriously loaded with effects and so close to being superb, but never reliable enough.

And for lights I currently own and use, I think my favourite just has to be the 1m mirror ball, always a joy to use and makes a real centrepiece to an event.

(Oh, and I've got 6 Synchrozaps sitting around if anyone wants any for nostalgia!)

The first lights I bought in my latest reincarnation were a pair of Martin T-Rex which I loved as they were different to anything I had come across before. I had inherited Chameleons which, like Peter's antiques, weighed a ton and ate bulbs.

Back in the day, when Jesus was a lad, I remember buying a Solar 100 projector (couldn't afford a 250) and a selection of effect cassettes. I thought I was "it" for a while. I later got a 250 clone which kept me going for the next 10 years.

I'm going to put my rose-tinted spectacles on now. Not because it's a light of yesteryear (although it very much is), but because it's in the "now" for me (or was until 12 weeks ago), and I own it

It's not flashy (well, it does flash), it's certainly not modern (it uses incandescent lamps) and it runs very hot, and it doesn't do anything clever....or does it?

Ladeeees and germs - my favourite ever fixture is the Infinity Tunnel/Time Tunnel or whatever you want to call it these days.

It's simple, it's effective, it gets drunken punters in a real tizzy as to how the effect actually works, and I absolutely LOVE it.

Roll on when I can lug that particular 4 stone unit back into a venue. I'll never ever moan about the weight of it again - I promise

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Roll on when I can lug that particular 4 stone unit back into a venue. I'll never ever moan about the weight of it again - I promise

The award for the heaviest and most awkward DJ Lighting Effect, goes to the good old Time Tunnel.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I sold these because I wanted a smaller and lighter setup, but miss them at every gig:

The Chauvet 305 irc Barrel

One of the few lights that's manages to combine decent light output, coverage and movement in one unit (although you need two).

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I sold these because I wanted a smaller and lighter setup, but miss them at every gig:

The Chauvet 305 irc Barrel

One of the few lights that's manages to combine decent light output, coverage and movement in one unit (although you need two).
    And the light which you recommended I get, when I was asking for advice. You were right to advise it, but that's reminded me of what I bought before I decided you were right. ( Although I got Scanners).

The Crossfire XP is an unbelievably bright machine, very compact, and great for older crowds, as it can be tamed quite nicely with DMX. However, the light which I have to give the accolade of best/most versatile light ever ( ignoring various flavours of Powerbars) would be the Hadron 4-in1 lights, with strobe, derby, laser and wash. Lots of wash. ( It's a poor man's Chauvet Swarm Wash, not to be confused with Swarm 5s).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Time tunnel - is that the thing that's essentially just an infinity screen but rather than the mirror being in a fixed position it wiggles around, by way of a motorised cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And the light which you recommended I get, when I was asking for advice. You were right to advise it, but that's reminded me of what I bought before I decided you were right. ( Although I got Scanners).

The Crossfire XP is an unbelievably bright machine, very compact, and great for older crowds, as it can be tamed quite nicely with DMX. However, the light which I have to give the accolade of best/most versatile light ever ( ignoring various flavours of Powerbars) would be the Hadron 4-in1 lights, with strobe, derby, laser and wash. Lots of wash. ( It's a poor man's Chauvet Swarm Wash, not to be confused with Swarm 5s).
    Chauvet Wash FX is a fine light.