Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Equiry - Social distancing

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I can't remember the amount of times people have asked me why I don't do it full time.

Answer 1 is - it's not a "job" and I've no intention of turning it into one.

Answer 2 is even though I do it part time and have a nice gross - "WHAT, JUST FROM DJING?" was the response when I was speaking to a mortgage advisor not too long ago, I'd need to do around 80 high end bookings a year to have a decent liveable net income off of it, probably closer and that's before considering what the tax would be like so probably more like 90-100.
    There was a phase around 10 years ago when everytime you spoke to another DJ the reply was "I am part time but looking to go full time", now it iis horses for causes.

I love it as a full time job as like the time off I get - could think of nothing worse than doing a day job then DJing on a weekend, others prefer it that way. In fact a lot of people who DJ for me love the fact they have a normal job, then work for me so no marketing etc. I will stick to having 4/5 days off a week - if I can after all this, never know how things might change and my 'getting desperate backup plan' may have to come into play.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    There was a phase around 10 years ago when everytime you spoke to another DJ the reply was "I am part time but looking to go full time", now it iis horses for causes.

I love it as a full time job as like the time off I get - could think of nothing worse than doing a day job then DJing on a weekend, others prefer it that way. In fact a lot of people who DJ for me love the fact they have a normal job, then work for me so no marketing etc. I will stick to having 4/5 days off a week - if I can after all this, never know how things might change and my 'getting desperate backup plan' may have to come into play.
    I can literally pin point the moment I decided to quite the accountancy degree I was doing to be a teacher ( wetherspoons, seat by the window, Sunday night with a horrible girlfriend I had at the time - quit my BAcc the next morning and never looked back)

It's a vocation and my current job is amazing, proper "yay it's another day - let's do this" fodder. I even have my morning coffee out in the yard before kick off because I like seeing the kids bouncing around doing their thing. There may come a time that changes but not for the foreseeable.

It gives me something to get up for in the morning and I wouldn't give it up for the world. The DJing gives me a musical outlet I enjoy on the side plus it pays for my hot tub wine and holidays. I played in bands for years, now I'm the only arsehole I need to worry about...

I can't wait to be back to full time self employed!

BUT....because I was made redundant from a now non-existent company last year (so no furlough), and only have 11 months of accounts (no self employed help either then)....I've fallen through every safety net ever invented. So....I'm now back in a full time job (along with a couple of airline pilots, a music teacher, several driving instructors, fitness coaches, a professional boxer, several wedding band members, a wedding photographer and several high end DJs...and yes, we're comparing notes!)

2019 was MY year. I got the kick up the backside I needed to go full time and it was working. 2020 was actually going to pay a very nice chunk of money in wages. I'd now have to work for over a month to earn what I was getting for an all-day wedding....and it's bloody hard work to boot!

The shifts are erratic to say the least (I can start as early as 6am one day and finish as late as midnight the next).

BUT - it's something, and I'm actually out meeting people and have work colleagues again (all of them harping back to just three months ago when life was so much easier).

Being employed again is horrible. I have to follow rules and policies. I have to be there for certain times of the day. I have to obey orders and report to people young enough to be my children! (literally, two of my bosses went to school with my daughter!)

However, even when things return to some sort of normal, I'm likely going to keep my finger in this particular pie. It's my safety net, it pays a steady wage, pension and staff discount, and it's something to fall back on if something like Covid ever happens again.

It's not ideal, but it's helping me to live well on less

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    [B]
    Being employed again is horrible. I have to follow rules and policies. I have to be there for certain times of the day. I have to obey orders and report to people young enough to be my children! (literally, two of my bosses went to school with my daughter!)
    Don't moan Son, don't moan.
    You're guaranteed work to do, don't have to think what to do next, and don't have to buy things just to do your job.
    Over here, in the wonderful world of the self employed, the work is famine or feast, the weather can put a stop to it in an instant, and you don't wake up on a morning with your day all planned out, and have your plans thrown into disarray with one phone call. Or have to decide which of the urgent, time sensitive jobs to go to first?

And you know what? I wouldn't want to go back to being a wage slave. Wayne, keep on with it mate, well done, and all the best.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Being employed again is horrible. I have to follow rules and policies. I have to be there for certain times of the day. I have to obey orders and report to people young enough to be my children!
    Sounds like a typical wedding lol!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Ain't that the truth!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Answer 1 is - it's not a "job" and I've no intention of turning it into one.

Answer 2 is even though I do it part time and have a nice gross - "WHAT, JUST FROM DJING?" was the response when I was speaking to a mortgage advisor not too long ago, I'd need to do around 80 high end bookings a year to have a decent liveable net income off of it.
    People have very different expectations around what is considered a decent livable income. See my previous comment about how bad NHS pay is...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Don't moan Son, don't moan.
    Second that. I was thinking the other day what all this is likely to mean for my 16 and 17yr old kids who will be entering the job market in anything from 1 to 5 years (depending on the choices they make), possibly in the middle of one of the deepest global depressions the world has ever seen. Not sure how best to prepare them for that (other than encouraging them to stay in education as long as possible!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Ain't that the truth!
    It most certainly is! It's the first post to make me laugh in a long time
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Ain't that the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Sounds more like a typical marriage!

Can't say my 31 year old stepson has noticed any change in this self isolation business. He's been holed up in his bedroom 23 and a half hours a day for the past 8 years anyway. If he didn't surface for food, I'd never see him at all.
    Last edited by mattydj50; 03-06-2020 at 09:37 AM.