Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the worst light that you've owned?

Default What's the worst light that you've owned?

Over the years I bought loads of lighting, although much less in recent times.

I can recall some real duff purchases, but the worst 1 was in 2002 when bought a pair of Soundlab 100w scans. The principle of the light was fine, but no DMX and no way to control the beams meant they frequently scanned either to the left or right with nothing on the dance floor. No control whatsoever! They were similar I think to Abstact's Wildstar, but not as good. No Gobos either just coloured twister style coloured beams, but not as good. Name:  Soundlab.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  32.6 KB

ADJ Inno Pocket Scan

12w just isn't enough for a disco light

It looked great in a dark room with haze, but beyond that had very little impact.

It's a shame because in essence it was excellent - just let down by a low watt LED bulb.

TWO spring to mind.

Like Gavin - I own a pair of Inno-Pockets, except mine are the moving head version...what a waste of money they were!
    The other? The Domin8tr 2....hideous, noisy dot spewer only ever went out twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    TWO spring to mind.

Like Gavin - I own a pair of Inno-Pockets, except mine are the moving head version...what a waste of money they were!
    The other? The Domin8tr 2....hideous, noisy dot spewer only ever went out twice!
    I had 2 pairs of the Inno-Pocket Spot Twins. These were the same but with 2 moving heads on the same thick bar. The idea was that you simply mounted them on a speaker/Gravity stand. I thought it was ok for small venues, but it didn't really like them. If I remember correctly the ADJ IRC Remote only worked at the front and not the back was was a pain.

2 fixtures spring to mind. Chauvet scorpion RGB clusters & 2 equinox 25w led scanners. The scanners might have had 15 more watts than inno pocket thingies, but they were no brighter compared head to head.

Further back than that... Those awful lightscreens & R080 spot boxes. Simple & effective but they epitomise all that was bad about discos of old - big heavy boxes that don't light a room much & get hot. Ironically, the best fixture I owned was also an R080 spot box, but I could mount it up high on a tripod so it wouldn't be obscured by dancers

Actually, I've just remembered *the* worst light:

Name:  discolight.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  22.6 KB

This little beauty.

Was pretty much a standard feature of budget discos back in the day.

I had one in the late 90s, and was up on my T-bar along with a few pin spot lights.

The pin-spot lights looked great, but had quite a tight beam and little coverage.

But this thing provided great coverage.

The only issue was it was *very* sensitive to sound. As soon as the volume went up, the built in Sound 2 Light worked at its fastest setting, which was basically 'strobe'!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Actually, I've just remembered *the* worst light:

Name:  discolight.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  22.6 KB

This little beauty.

Was pretty much a standard feature of budget discos back in the day.

I had one in the late 90s, and was up on my T-bar along with a few pin spot lights.

The pin-spot lights looked great, but had quite a tight beam and little coverage.

But this thing provided great coverage.

The only issue was it was *very* sensitive to sound. As soon as the volume went up, the built in Sound 2 Light worked at its fastest setting, which was basically 'strobe'!

Oh! When I said r080 spot boxes I meant big heavy wooden contrivances with at least 8 lamps in them, driven by a 4 channel light chaser. The likes of me wouldn't possibly splurge on any of that 'ready made' stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Oh! When I said r080 spot boxes I meant big heavy wooden contrivances with at least 8 lamps in them, driven by a 4 channel light chaser. The likes of me wouldn't possibly splurge on any of that 'ready made' stuff
    OI!!!!

What's wrong with big heavy wooden contrivances with at least 8 lamps in them, driven by a 4 channel light chaser?
    There's a HUGE market for that type of setup in "normal" times. And there are several people who use ONLY those setups and make a very respectable living from them.

When we're eventually allowed off the leash again (oh....roll on normality over driving a 3.5 tonne hippopotamus full of groceries down narrow streets for a fraction of the price of a decent party....), Retro is going to be one of the three big things I concentrate on.

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    I had 2 pairs of the Inno-Pocket Spot Twins. These were the same but with 2 moving heads on the same thick bar. The idea was that you simply mounted them on a speaker/Gravity stand. I thought it was ok for small venues, but it didn't really like them. If I remember correctly the ADJ IRC Remote only worked at the front and not the back was was a pain.
    I had one of these which I intended to use in a regular small venue coupled with a pair of the original Chauvet Obsessions. Never made the grade so they were hastily replaced with a pair of Inno Pocket Scans alongside a pair of Inno Pocket Rolls. All four hard mounted on one T-bar. They lasted 6 months before being sold on and I went back to the Obsessions and a pair of mini Kintas.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I honestly cannot think of a light that I regret buying.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't touch an ADJ Revo 4 with a barge pole in 2020, but it was right for me at the time when I bought it. The lighting that I had back then in not comparable to what I have now, but I have no buyer's remorse for any of it.