Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Punisher - DMX Help

Default Martin Punisher - DMX Help

Hi all

I've picked up a pair of classic Martin Punishers for some 90's events booked for next year.

Reading through the Manual I get the impression that you can't link the Punisher to another unit ie Master/Slave but you could with the Destroyer units.

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Thanks
    www.eastangliandiscos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    Master/Slave
    you can't say that any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    No offence intended.

Linking is the correct phrase

Been reading an old Martin Manual from the 90's

after a quick look at the manual, it looks as though you have 2 control options - stand-alone and dmx.

I guess it depends what you planning to do with them but if you have a means of sending them dmx you could simply just address them to the same address and only use channel 1 to turn the lamps on and then use channel 2 to switch between the unit not outputting and being in stand-alone mode which would mean no programming needed but gives you the ability to turn them on and off remotely as required.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Wait until I get this out of my toolbox... https://www.peachyproductions.com/pr...ale-to-female/

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Wait until I get this out of my toolbox... https://www.peachyproductions.com/pr...ale-to-female/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    after a quick look at the manual, it looks as though you have 2 control options - stand-alone and dmx.

I guess it depends what you planning to do with them but if you have a means of sending them dmx you could simply just address them to the same address and only use channel 1 to turn the lamps on and then use channel 2 to switch between the unit not outputting and being in stand-alone mode which would mean no programming needed but gives you the ability to turn them on and off remotely as required.
    Chris thanks.

I was hoping to run them simply linked for the limited functions I intend to use them for, but I could also get a profile and run them through the ADJ NE1 DMX controller.

id experiement but you could just get away with the first 2 channels so don't need anything complicated control wise but they are only 5 chans each anyhow so if you have a rgbaw par can controller can just wiggle the faders until it does things -n you have the dmx chart in the manual so easy enough to work out where the fade needs to be to make the different things happen.

If you already have the ADJ NE1 then just (i say just i have no idea how it works or what it does but looking at picture of it I'm guessing) set up 2 (or 5) dimmer channels and set to values get the looks you want and save a couple of presets to the buttons to be able to call up lamp on/off and s2l on off

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    id experiement but you could just get away with the first 2 channels so don't need anything complicated control wise but they are only 5 chans each anyhow so if you have a rgbaw par can controller can just wiggle the faders until it does things -n you have the dmx chart in the manual so easy enough to work out where the fade needs to be to make the different things happen.

If you already have the ADJ NE1 then just (i say just i have no idea how it works or what it does but looking at picture of it I'm guessing) set up 2 (or 5) dimmer channels and set to values get the looks you want and save a couple of presets to the buttons to be able to call up lamp on/off and s2l on off
    Thanks Chris

I've not the Martin MC-1 controller, I can only get 1 punisher to work with it!

I've also got the basic slider DMX controller which only allows blackout of both units.

If the mc-1 allows control over one unit then just address them the same and they should then do the same thing, been a few years since i have seen an mc-1 so would recommend them addressed to 001.

if you have a controller with faders/sliders on then that should control the unit you just need to put the faders in the right place following the dmx chart - the thing to remember here is that the dmx chart in the manual will be 0-255 whereas you'd fader desk will be 0-100 as the controller is in percent and the manual is the dmx value.

can sometimes be worth printing the dmx table and writing on it the % values which might make using a basic controller easier.

easy way to do it is dmxvalue/255x100=%

assuming the dmx address is 001
    chan1
    lamp off is 0-11 which would mean 0-4% is lamp off
    lamp on is 12-127 which makes 5-49% is lamp on

chan2
    0-4% is off
    5-49% is sound to light
    50-100% is controller triggered

so assuming you want the unit to run s2l but be the ability to turn them on and off with a controller

you have faders 1 and 2 at 30% which would turn the lamp on and activate s2l mode - you can they turn fader 2 to 0% to tun the effect off

anything beyond that on a fader desk will be more complicated.
    most lights aren't designed to be used with such basic controllers as to get anything good out to them you need scenes and cues or better still the ability to use palettes etc.