Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Post COVID - what's the future going to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Ah well that's the last of my 2020 couples cancelled today.

If nothing else, next years tax return will be a doddle.
    Mine will be about 5% quicker...

The income is the easy bit. It's the expenses that is always the slow bit.

At least the number at the end will be lower!

July 2021 wedding postponed yesterday. Talking to them I agree why they have done it.

January 2021 now empty (no that there was much as it is normally last minute) and think will be making a good start on Feb/March 2021 over the next few weeks.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Well first time in ten years I'm going to have to take orders off another people........

Going back to retail to try and keep us going. The grants will see me last until the point I was post lockdown in about a month and then we're just losing money hand over fist afterwards with the unit, van lease etc...

Fingers crossed they'll do something to help our sector. The entire year is written off at this point, even if they lift restrictions tomorrow then it won't get people booking Q4 weddings or Christmas functions as there is no consumer confidence or funds now.

Badger your local MPs, mine is as about as useful as a Cortex DJ controller.........
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Well first time in ten years I'm going to have to take orders off another people........

Going back to retail to try and keep us going. The grants will see me last until the point I was post lockdown in about a month and then we're just losing money hand over fist afterwards with the unit, van lease etc...

Fingers crossed they'll do something to help our sector. The entire year is written off at this point, even if they lift restrictions tomorrow then it won't get people booking Q4 weddings or Christmas functions as there is no consumer confidence or funds now.

Badger your local MPs, mine is as about as useful as a Cortex DJ controller.........
    I went back to retail at the beginning, then it hit me just how hard work it is, somehow I forgot lol.

Now I am working from home which suits my energy levels - plus I can work on all those postponements too (up to July 2021 now).

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I went back to retail at the beginning, then it hit me just how hard work it is, somehow I forgot lol.

Now I am working from home which suits my energy levels - plus I can work on all those postponements too (up to July 2021 now).
    Yeah first proper day tomorrow, not looking forward to it.

What is it you're doing from home?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Neil's plight makes me fearful for the future. When well established traders like Neil and Chris, as well some notable others, are struggling, it does not bode well for the industry. I fear that by the time the shackles are removed, many of us will have left the business. I fear that there will be rich pickings for Sid, who regarded the income from DJ'ing as pocket money. I also think he will be prepared to " interpret the rules" in a very " relaxed " way.

Yours, Cassandra.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Yeah first proper day tomorrow, not looking forward to it.

What is it you're doing from home?
    Customer services - call centre bimbo now

Really takes some getting used too having to work for someone again. Also not too keen on working 5 days a week haha

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Really takes some getting used too having to work for someone again. Also not too keen on working 5 days a week haha
    Tell me about it. I'm six months in and still can't get used to it.
    Give me a 5 day week any day. I'm normally on a 6 day rotation, and can start/end any time between 6am and 11pm (and there's no pattern to it either....it's to do with when customers want their stuff delivered so varies from day to day).

I'm missing Karen, Baby Shark, Bridezilla and drunken bridesmaids so much now it hurts

Even before this the idea of going full time never appealed. It would have given me more time but I like having something to get out of bed for and I hate the idea of the DJing turning into a job as opposed to something I do for fun. That's pretty much why I'm resigned to jacking it in the end of tax year 2021-22.

That being said, I'm very glad I'm on a council contract.

Even before this the idea of going full time never appealed. It would have given me more time but I like having something to get out of bed for and I hate the idea of the DJing turning into a job as opposed to something I do for fun. That's pretty much why I'm resigned to jacking it in the end of tax year 2021-22.
    Full time for me was brilliant Jim for the 11 months that I pulled it off.....it was the perfect work/life balance. She worked, I lived

In all seriousness as the others that were/are full time unemployed DJs will attest, you work your day around what needs to be done (admin/marketing/jobs around the house). There was always a reason to get out of bed in the morning, and it ALWAYS pointed to earning money for me and not shareholders, stakeholders and managers. It's not actually a bad lifestyle considering in my current position I have to toil for FIVE WEEKS to earn the same gross amount as a decent paying all day wedding.....go figure! In normal times, an evening reception is worth 1.5 weeks of work at the moment!

It's actually opened my eyes just a little bit on how hard customers have to save to afford what I normally do!

In the days before lockdown, I earned a salary and still had time to look after my grandson, see my family, decorate, mow the lawns, do the allotment.....
    Now, I work for "the man" and don't have the chance to do ANY of the above much more. Give me full time self employed any day of the week....the stress more than pays for the fringe benefits!

That being said, I'm very glad I'm on a council contract.
    Hmmmm....and Councils have how many decisions to make on budgets?

Trust me, there's only ONE very safe job at the moment....and I'm in it! Retail or E-commerce (sadly....especially online and delivery) are pretty much the only growth industries whilst COVID is a thing and Mr & Mrs Average are hiding away from catching it. Amazon and supermarkets are pretty much jobs for life at the moment....and it's biimmin' hard work!