Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Post COVID - what's the future going to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    HMRC will no doubt be following up on SEISS payments, hence maybe why there is quite a recruitment drive at the moment, however the whole SEISS, furlolugh, grant schemes have been a major error in my opinion.
    They’ve been majorly unfair. Too many small businesses have fallen through the net for various reasons such as not trading long enough to qualify or not having rateable premises etc.

It would have been so much fairer if those who didn’t qualify were able to show what they would have earned for the year and have support based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    They’ve been majorly unfair. Too many small businesses have fallen through the net for various reasons such as not trading long enough to qualify or not having rateable premises etc.

It would have been so much fairer if those who didn’t qualify were able to show what they would have earned for the year and have support based on that.
    That was the stumbling block for the grants! I suspect most discos operate from private houses, and store gear elsewhere, or at home. When we're a profession that goes to the customer ( rather than the customer coming to us ) it's only the largest operators who will have a business warehouse/workshop.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    That was the stumbling block for the grants! I suspect most discos operate from private houses, and store gear elsewhere, or at home. When we're a profession that goes to the customer ( rather than the customer coming to us ) it's only the largest operators who will have a business warehouse/workshop.
    Absolutely sir. I work from home and store my gear at home so have no business premises. I have a full time day job that accounts for greater than 50% of my annual income (which can also include any early pension income that I may have), so I am not entitled to any of the money on the table.

My stepdaughter, who runs her own hair and beauty salon has been coining it in which, as she was planning to move premises, has helped refurbish the new location. Of course, the lack of revenue made things difficult but she also managed to furlough her two staff. She was also on maternity benefit for a period which helped the cause.

I did write to my MP as the NADJ (and others have promoted, but, if you know who my MP is (a failed ex leader of the Labour Party), you will understand that I don't put a lot of faith in even getting a reply (I am still owed one from each of 2007 and 2009).

As for the venue I work at, well, the silence is, er, silently silent,

It has just dawned on me, that as DJs we are well and truly lining ourselves up to be totally forgotten.

2 'main campaigns' to help would be the return of live performances and the return of weddings, however :

A. the return of 'live performances' is likely to NOT include DJs, so when the rest (or most) of the live performance industry is back at work, we will be on our own.

B. Weddings - so much focus is on 30 people being allowed to basically have a meal after their ceremony. Once this is allowed we will again be on our own as most of the wedding industry will be back at work.

The only campaign DJs have is the #savedjentertainment which has very little following or support outside of a handful of DJs.

Is anything else happening to try and support our cause for a return date / roadmap / assistance ???
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Personally I’ve taken to regularly writing to my MP. She might actually get round to answering me one day 😳

Personally I’ve taken to regularly writing to my MP. She might actually get round to answering me one day 
    Might still be working out how to copy/paste - seems all replies are very similar.

We understand
    It is dreadful
    Totally agree with you
    Nothing we can do
    Good luck

Might still be working out how to copy/paste - seems all replies are very similar.

We understand
    It is dreadful
    Totally agree with you
    Nothing we can do
    Good luck
    You forgot the “unprecedented level of support”

Yeah...unless you’ve only been full time for 11 months 😡

You forgot the “unprecedented level of support”

Yeah...unless you’ve only been full time for 11 months 
    Don't worry, I've been full time 10 years, and still got next to nothing

It has just dawned on me, that as DJs we are well and truly lining ourselves up to be totally forgotten.

2 'main campaigns' to help would be the return of live performances and the return of weddings, however :

A. the return of 'live performances' is likely to NOT include DJs, so when the rest (or most) of the live performance industry is back at work, we will be on our own.

B. Weddings - so much focus is on 30 people being allowed to basically have a meal after their ceremony. Once this is allowed we will again be on our own as most of the wedding industry will be back at work.

The only campaign DJs have is the #savedjentertainment which has very little following or support outside of a handful of DJs.

Is anything else happening to try and support our cause for a return date / roadmap / assistance ???
    Yup, been saying that for a while. It's now clear that we are going to be literally the last to return, and it's quite possible that all of the custom we think has rescheduled, might still be lost as the functions might be forced to go ahead without us. We've hit a point now where people are getting impatient and are either just doing what they're allowed to at the moment, cancelling or just quietly going ahead regardless. Guides for Brides keep posting about micro weddings and split functions, neither of which help us at all. I've also seen photographers post quite a few pics this weekend of weddings and celebrations that are 100% outside the current guidelines that suggests some people are happy to completely ignore the rules.

My Xmas season was booked to a Theatre and they cancelled last week as they're now definitely not planning a return this year. I'm waiting for this weeks announcements before I contact a couple of proms that a hotel (optimistically) booked for early Sept. Not hopeful. All of the rhetoric in the news at the moment suggests that we're about to take a step backwards in lockdown measures (probably at a regional level) as schools return.

I'm pretty sure Benny has lost his bet for Oct.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm pretty sure Benny has lost his bet for Oct.

Julian
    Don't think he specified a year.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk