Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Post COVID - what's the future going to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I suspect he was, but if I read it the other way, there's a good chance a client would too. It's just easier to avoid anything even semi-ambiguous at this point.

Apparently social distancing is non-existent there at the moment... and the entertainment is

Julian
    Been looking at Xmas and New Year there, but the ££££ is just silly. Always fancied it, but never had the time off before which I think I might this year.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Ok....it took a bit of doing but I finally got a response from my local MP

I've emailed several times and only ever had a response from her Parliamentary Assistant. The last time I was very blunt and insisted that I hear from HER as opposed to a civil servant (cheeky and rude, but getting completely pee'd off with everything now)

Although one of the emails was under the guise of the #savedjentertainment letter (which let's be honest....is going nowhere), I've also taken the time to explain my own personal circumstances which aren't too dissimilar to a lot of others I know who have likewise fallen through every safety net put in place. I also made it very clear that I'm more than a little miffed that having paid into the system since the day I left school and never claimed a single penny in support, it's not been there when I actually need it.

My angle is for some of the discretionary grant money which hasn't been claimed to be redirected to those of us without rateable premises and the like. At the end of the day, if they'd at least assist with the storage and insurance costs so that I'm not having to find those every month out of my own pocket....I'd be a happy bunny.

The response was actually quite unexpected and positive. None of the copy and paste text everyone else seems to be getting. She's actually dealing with quite a few fellow constituents in the same position and appears to be fighting our corner. She's also passed on the SaveDJEntertainment letter to the appropriate department but not getting my hopes up there.

Fingers crossed....somebody's actually listening!
    OK - my bad

FINALLY got a reply this afternoon about changing the discretionary grant in my area (yeah....a whole WEEK after applications were closed - how convenient!). Apparently my local council was oversubscribed and there's nothing left in the pot to support smaller businesses like me....I was actually expecting exactly this response!

Looks like the business is going to be costing me personally for a good while to come.

In other news - I've had three enquiries in the past two days...things are looking up! Shame i daren't even quote them until I know where the land lies for next year . I'm starting to adopt the attitude that I'm "fully booked" for 2021 at the moment until there's some sort of clear guidance that we're allowed to work again.

Apparently my local council was oversubscribed and there's nothing left in the pot to support smaller businesses like me....I was actually expecting exactly this response!
    I applied for a grant from my local authority. Applications closed 17th Aug, final decisions were supposed to be made by 31st Aug and grants issued soon after, and now they're saying funds will be distributed at the end of Sept

In the meantime, I've heard literally nothing from them and the domain name used to host the application form has been dropped! I'm actually starting to wonder if I've just sent 6 months of my bank statements and a scan of my photo ID to a hackers...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Looks like the business is going to be costing me personally for a good while to come.

In other news - I've had three enquiries in the past two days...things are looking up! Shame i daren't even quote them until I know where the land lies for next year . I'm starting to adopt the attitude that I'm "fully booked" for 2021 at the moment until there's some sort of clear guidance that we're allowed to work again.
    Why not just quote for them and earn some deposits? Don't be ashamed for working and earning some money from it. Just make it clear in your contract/correspondence that if there are any postponements, the client has to work with you on a new date otherwise they will lose the deposit and/or fall foul of cancellation terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Why not just quote for them and earn some deposits? Don't be ashamed for working and earning some money from it. Just make it clear in your contract/correspondence that if there are any postponements, the client has to work with you on a new date otherwise they will lose the deposit and/or fall foul of cancellation terms.
    I'm doing the same - Good wedding bookings are still out there for 12, 18, 24 and even 36 months out. If you're not careful you'll have a very quiet 2022 or lose the customers you want to work with

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

Ok I'll bite. You're saying the business is costing you money but you're not even going to quote for jobs next year? Why? If they get moved then you'll have a clause in your booking form/contract to state what happens etc? Not sure why on earth you wouldn't quote?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

New bookings are far easier to deal with than existing bookings.

Covid-19 is now a known entity.

Check out Air B'n'Bs cancellation terms for bookings made since 14th March. Their attitude is 'Coronavirus is a known pandemic now, and you're booking at your own risk. No refunds outside of their usual cancellation clauses if you need to cancel.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/articl...vid19-pandemic

I'd suggest something along the lines that your performance may need to be adapted to meet any Coronavirus restrictions on the date of performance.

Any cancellation / postponement is a forfeit of the booking fee, and a new booking fee is required for the postponed date.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Any cancellation / postponement is a forfeit of the booking fee, and a new booking fee is required for the postponed date.
    Ouch! Not sure I'd make a booking for anything under those terms, and certain that I won't be adding this to my T&C's.

However: I've long since stopped taking deposits for 2020 putative bookings, and I'm not sure I'd insist on deposits for 2021 yet. Strange times.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    However: I've long since stopped taking deposits for 2020 putative bookings, and I'm not sure I'd insist on deposits for 2021 yet. Strange times.
    You're sending out contracts and doing the admin work for no pay?

If you're going to volunteer your time, at least do something that will make a contribution to the community like working with your local youth offending service.

You're supposed to bend over backwards for your clients, not forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ouch! Not sure I'd make a booking for anything under those terms, and certain that I won't be adding this to my T&C's.

Welcome to the new world. It's still no deposit, no booking in my view. However, I draw the line at not carrying deposits forward (where's the incentive for the customer to stick with you if you've just shafted them and they're going to have to pay again anyway?)

Julian