Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Post COVID - what's the future going to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Must admit, tempting though it is to spend it, all my deposits and payments I receive are being kept in a seperate bank account 'just in case'. I honestly can't see any/many refunds needing to be made, but you never know.

I am currently running my business how I did before I went full-time. I have a full time job now, and the year before I went full time DJ I didn't touch any of my wages for a year before making the jump to prove I could do it. That is what I am currently doing now BUT the difference is I am living off my employment and not spending the DJ wages.

Problem I have is I am now fully booked for 2021 BUT how many of them will go ahead ? I have already had a couple of cancellations due to relationships breaking down never mind worries about this virus.
    Can't deal with ifs, buts or maybes. Get it booked in and then move again if required. Weddings have to come back at some point, they'll not impose restrictions or financially support wedding businesses going forward so something has to give.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Can't deal with ifs, buts or maybes. Get it booked in and then move again if required. Weddings have to come back at some point, they'll not impose restrictions or financially support wedding businesses going forward so something has to give.
    This. I've booked a couple of weddings for 2021 in the past week or so.

Not sure if you seen it or not but there was a point made in that CMA statement about people booking / moving weddings between March and September doing it with an understanding that it might be affected given the situation. To me, that's not changed significantly - if you've moved your date to 2021 or are booking in 2021, much like a holiday - you're taking a gamble that it'll go ahead / be the full bhoona.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Not sure if you seen it or not but there was a point made in that CMA statement about people booking / moving weddings between March and September doing it with an understanding that it might be affected given the situation. To me, that's not changed significantly - if you've moved your date to 2021 or are booking in 2021, much like a holiday - you're taking a gamble that it'll go ahead / be the full bhoona.
    One of the worst statements to have been released (the latest CMS one) - contrary to belief and panic, it does NOT say anyone needing to cancel due to Covid can get a full refund including deposits. It isn't exactly supporting businesses, but also could make things difficult for couples if you read the whole statement - especially how far ahead this covers.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    One of the worst statements to have been released (the latest CMS one) - contrary to belief and panic, it does NOT say anyone needing to cancel due to Covid can get a full refund including deposits. It isn't exactly supporting businesses, but also could make things difficult for couples if you read the whole statement - especially how far ahead this covers.
    As far as I'm concerned nothing has changed at my end from the statement.

Unless you're marrying woth200+ people and I need to hire sound, you're getting the same service wether you have 10 guests or 150 from me.

Caterers, cake makers, even kilt hires can be scaled down, we can't really so the # of people there, contractually, is a moot point to me - I'm contracted to play music at venue x at times y for client z. The vibe being affected due to limited numbers isn't anything you can sensibly seek legal recourse for, unless you make claims like the dancefloor will be rammed all night...

unless you make claims like the dancefloor will be rammed all night...
    If that were the case there would be many DJs who would have been making multiple refunds pre-Covid based on that claim!

I find this really interesting and I bet a lot of couples will have missed the implications. Unfortunately (unless I missed it) the CMA didn't really elaborate on what this means for contracts. Are they basically saying that if you booked a wedding during the Mar/Apr period for a date that was unlikely to go ahead and it's now cancelled or needs to be rescheduled, then you should expect some losses?
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I find this really interesting and I bet a lot of couples will have missed the implications. Unfortunately (unless I missed it) the CMA didn't really elaborate on what this means for contracts. Are they basically saying that if you booked a wedding during the Mar/Apr period for a date that was unlikely to go ahead and it's now cancelled or needs to be rescheduled, then you should expect some losses?
    March to September actually which leads on to my point that people rescheduling now for the first part of2021 at least are doing so knowing there's a good chance covid will impact their big day.

March to September actually which leads on to my point that people rescheduling now for the first part of2021 at least are doing so knowing there's a good chance covid will impact their big day.
    I was thinking about how this changes the picture for us. Doesn't it work both ways? If we take bookings or allow couples to reschedule, aren't we also taking them in full knowledge that they may not happen?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I was thinking about how this changes the picture for us. Doesn't it work both ways? If we take bookings or allow couples to reschedule, aren't we also taking them in full knowledge that they may not happen?

Julian
    That would ultimately be up to a judge to decide. The CMA (despite what numerous facebook bride legal experts will assert) is purely setting out guidance - if push came to shove, it would go to civil court and at that point it would be down to a judge to decide.

Ah well that's the last of my 2020 couples cancelled today.

If nothing else, next years tax return will be a doddle.