Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Radio 1 Ibiza Prom on TV

Default Radio 1 Ibiza Prom on TV

Hi all, some of you may remember that one of the Proms (as in Royal Albert Hall, classical music, not a school disco!) was held in 2015 to celebrate 20 years of Radio 1 in Ibiza. I was lucky to hear about it early enough to get tickets and went with a couple of friends, and it really was superb. 5000 people raving to a classical orchestra in RAH with full on lighting and lasers etc. This lead to the series of concerts that Pete Tong has been doing with the Heritage Orchestra over the last few years and the whole wave of classical interpretations of dance music.

Anyway, although you can watch it on YouTube, I gather it's going to be shown on BBC4 one Sunday this summer (not yet found what date) so I'd highly recommend keeping an eye out for it, clear the coffee table out the way, set up some uplighters in your living room, and turn it up to 11 on the biggest screen you've got.

Update - it looks like they're broadcasting it on Friday 31st July. Except it's not until midnight, so technically it's the next day! Blimey, not used to staying up that late nowadays. Also looks like they're doing a whole BBC Sounds theme of 25 years in Ibiza that weekend but not yet hunted down the details.

On another note, just in case you're interested, BBC1 are showing the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony again, with a programme on BBC this afternoon about the production of it.

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    Update - it looks like they're broadcasting it on Friday 31st July. Except it's not until midnight.
    Shame about the time or you could connect your PA system to the headphone socket of your TV to and have a Rave
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I watched it first time around having seen Benny point it out here. I loved it & my kids did too (then) but I find Mr Tong's later classical interpretations like musical wallpaper. They sound to me like they've drained out all the spirit that made the original tunes so great IMHO. I've never been to Ibiza but hope I might go one day. Not clubbing though ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Shame about the time or you could connect your PA system to the headphone socket of your TV to and have a Rave
    There's been a party going on all night about 7miles from my home, it's still going now and I can still hear it! Midnight is for wimps*

Julian

* I wasn't in bed at 9:30 last night. Honest.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Ibiza is a beautiful island, I was lucky enough to be there just before the season started so it was pretty quiet back in April 2010. We travelled pretty much all over the island and saw some stunning places. But the night before we were due to fly home the volcano in Iceland erupted so what a great place to be stuck for an extra week! I can really see where the Balearic spirit came from.

And as for midnight, well I usually have several weekends each summer where I drive home with my sunglasses on having worked through the night so I'm very used to late nights (and possibly had more than my share of nights out clubbing in my younger years!), but I'm rarely up beyond 11pm given the current situation so the first late night really will be a bit strange.