Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone taking bookings yet?

Default Anyone taking bookings yet?

Mornin' all (sorry, just unwinding from another arduous, cold and wet shift delivering shopping....please Lord, tell me this isn't my permanent and full time future )

I've come home tonight to another couple of enquiries. Sadly both for 2021 which I really don't think will happen, so I've already replied that "I'm busy" that night. I can't foresee any real action at 100Db+ in 2021 at the moment and am awaiting the already rescheduled weddings on the books to start contacting me imminently when they realise their weddings really won't be what they were expecting . And that's fine, I have a job (urgh) which will keep me afloat until such time as "normal" comes back....I can keep the business afloat until then.

Happily though, I've secured THREE new bookings already for mid 2022 since Boxing Day . Got to admit - it took me ages to send out the paperwork because I'd sort of forgotten how DJEP works

I know our beloved Sage Mr Excalibur has secured at least one as well....he was soooo excited when he emailed me last night that he'd sent an e-sign link out.

The enquiries at the moment are well and truly down on this time last year when I actually started to record such things properly (thanks to Benny for that one). It's not unexpected, but it's a start!

Anyone else starting to at least see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel yet?

There's a few trickling through, but I've seen traffic for discos drop through the floor since lockdown 2.0 was announced. Enquiries are a fraction of what I saw this time last year.

That said, I've taken 3 bookings since Jan for a mix of late 2021 and 2022 and that's despite being very honest with the 2021 booking about how I think this year is likely to pan out.

I've had plenty of existing 2021 bookings contact me to move to 2022

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Not the usual January rush by any means but they are trickling in.

I have had a few for Apr/May/June this year which I have replied to say I am already booked. Think I have it set in my head now that I may have a few which will go ahead in Summer, but nothing significant until September.

I am reluctant to book too much this year as think I need to keep hold of my job until after next winter at least. The warning by Chris Whitty about ay needing restrictions next Winter really shook me and think it would be foolish to throw all my eggs in one basket and risk it.

On the positive though, there are some enquiries for years in advance. 2022 I am still a little reluctant as I am almost fully booked this year and can envisage many of them postponing to next year. I have however secured a few 2023 weddings and even a couple for 2024. Only downside is I am totally unsure about pricing moving forward (or indeed if I will go back full time) so have quoted my current pricing.

I imagine once we get Easter out of the way, the effect of vaccinnes start to kick in and we are out of lockdown (hopefully) people will start planning and can see enquiries in April matching the usual January levels.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I am reluctant to book too much this year as think I need to keep hold of my job until after next winter at least. The warning by Chris Whitty about ay needing restrictions next Winter really shook me and think it would be foolish to throw all my eggs in one basket and risk it.

Agreed - and today they are talking about how they will need to slowly relax restrictions through until Autumn - when of course it sounds like further restrictions will kick in.

I am confident there will be weddings this summer, but I fear they will be limited to what we saw last summer, with evening entertainment not getting a look in.

I have taken one additional booking for this year - only because date wise and geographically it was very convenient for me - but I have every expectation that both will end up cancelled (along with the rest of the bookings I have).

I think any increase in activity will come from Spring onwards. If the vaccine does its job and we start seeing restrictions lifted, I can see confidence returning that we are heading out of this and I foresee a decent number of 2022 bookings coming at that point. I mean if we can't get out and perform in 2022 then I really worry about what the long term forecast for 'life' is going to be.

Weirdly we've had a few cancel but also taken some sizeable bookings which more than make up for it (we do other stuff as well as DJing now). Give with one hand, take with the other I guess at the moment.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Is it not time to stop waiting for normal to return and work with what we have?

Assuming that after lockdown we go back to the same tier system, entertainment can happen in tiers one and two and despite what many keep saying, dancing is not illegal - merely discouraged. Now in absolutely no way do I say "Stuff the rules", but if you actually read the details of the restrictions you'll find that we can provide a music based entertainment service in a Covid secure way. Obviously a lot of couples will be wanting to wait until greater numbers are allowed but now is the time to show your clients that you can offer the voodoo that you do so well for smaller and intimate weddings. People are still getting married with restricted numbers, so get in on that. I actually wrote a Blog about this very thing on my website at the tail end of last year.

Assume that normal is never going to return and adapt accordingly. If it does, that's great but if it doesn't, you'll be 10 steps ahead everyone else.

As for number of enquiries, I've had eleven since the start of the year and I've converted four of them thus far (two of the enquires for 2021 dates, with the rest for 2022). By this point last year, I had eighteen enquiries and converted three. Interestingly in this same period, I had fewer enquiries in 2020 than I did in 2019 but again converted more. This seems to suggest a trend of less people asking whilst more people are saying yes and long may this less work/more reward trend continue!

We had an enquiry for August which worked out nicely as a few days before a client moved the same date to next year so if we get it, it'll cover that empty slot.

Bookings have been dead, as expected but starting to look more positive and make it clear we're happy to move dates if needs be, as long as we're available.
    Nathan.

I've secured 5 dates from the start of the year for 2022 and 23.

I put my prices up considerably this time last year (good timing huh) but I've decided to stick with them and people are still booking which is encouraging, I know guys who are online advertising prices they charged 5 years ago... - I was sooooooooooo close to just ing it off and pulling the shutters once I'd seen out my pre-COVID bookings (took me nicely up to end of tax year 20-21) but if people are coming back to planning strong - remember there's a lot of people lost out financially but there's also plenty of people not spending hundreds of quid a month on train tickets and Starbucks so have more to play with and I do less work for the same dough then I'm happy to crack on.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Assuming that after lockdown we go back to the same tier system, entertainment can happen in tiers one and two and despite what many keep saying, dancing is not illegal - merely discouraged. Now in absolutely no way do I say "Stuff the rules", but if you actually read the details of the restrictions you'll find that we can provide a music based entertainment service in a Covid secure way. Obviously a lot of couples will be wanting to wait until greater numbers are allowed but now is the time to show your clients that you can offer the voodoo that you do so well for smaller and intimate weddings. People are still getting married with restricted numbers, so get in on that. I actually wrote a Blog about this very thing on my website at the tail end of last year.

Assume that normal is never going to return and adapt accordingly. If it does, that's great but if it doesn't, you'll be 10 steps ahead everyone else.
    Adapt and succeed
    I am amazed at the amount of people not doing this. I have managed to do 21 weddings since March (and don't forget in the North East we have had restrictions a lot longer than in other areas) - yes, lower fee, bit different etc - but still not bad and ensures I will be paying tax on my 20/21 tax bill lol.

There is still plenty we can offer - the numbers attending is the biggest hurdle. Put this to 30 (or better still 50) and we can do alright out of it.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Blabbermouth, Wayne! Yes, private garden party, 50th birthday. Late August. Should be a goer, I reckon.

I've got a big function in mid March, which I'm convinced will now never happen. Been moved once, it's a ticket job, and I don't think the logistics will make it a runner. Wedding for May, which will either move, cancel, or shrink, I think.

I imagine once we get Easter out of the way, the effect of vaccinnes start to kick in and we are out of lockdown (hopefully) people will start planning and can see enquiries in April matching the usual January levels.
    The hope of lessening restrictions, rather than increasing. That's my feeling, if people can look to the future with hopes that more will be allowed, rather than less, it's hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Is it not time to stop waiting for normal to return and work with what we have?

Give that man any prize off the top shelf!

Adapt and succeed
    I am amazed at the amount of people not doing this. I have managed to do 21 weddings since March (and don't forget in the North East we have had restrictions a lot longer than in other areas) - yes, lower fee, bit different etc - but still not bad and ensures I will be paying tax on my 20/21 tax bill lol.

There is still plenty we can offer - the numbers attending is the biggest hurdle. Put this to 30 (or better still 50) and we can do alright out of it.
    As Chris has done, adapt and overcome. I foresee many functions being restricted to say fifty people, for a long time, and shortly, my huge publicity campaign will launch on that basis. The idea that you can have one of my favourite jobs, the small, discreet, intimate offering, perhaps in smaller venues. They can have a lovely atmosphere.

The ones I see struggling are the 200 plus weddings, in huge venues, with lavish extras, and the Full Wembley Rig. I reckon many big venues may even fold, so for the foreseeable future " small is beautiful".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk