Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we return in 2021?

The 'should' parts were being interpreted by different local authorities in different ways. The majority were treating recommendations as if they were law, due to the possible implications if lack of adherence caused an issue down the line.

It's the same as PAT, it's guidance, not law, but try telling that to a judge if you electrocuted someone and failed to take even basic 'recommended' steps to mitigate the risks.

I suspect the tier system and the rules are likely to be rewritten before they're issued again so we're guessing really about what's going to be in them. I'd also expect enforcement of recommendations to vary depending on local risk, so areas with lower case numbers are likely to see less enforcement action.

So, who knows really. I think it's too soon to start making any kind of plans or making statements about what is or isn't going to be allowed. The uncertainty and lack of guidance may be what hurts us most.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Afraid that's why we're in the position we are in, because nobody would do what they 'should' have been doing.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I’ve got no intention of working until I’ve had the vaccine and consider it safe to work for me and my guests.

Many of us thought we would be working late in 2020 but that was blown way of course.

Realistically I’m optimistic for a return late Summer 2021.

Will we return in 2021? I very much doubt the restrictions (at least the restrictions relating to events will be lifted any time soon). I'd go as far as to say I'm doubtful that 2022 will see a return to anything more normal gig-wise. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Will we return in 2021? I very much doubt the restrictions (at least the restrictions relating to events will be lifted any time soon). I'd go as far as to say I'm doubtful that 2022 will see a return to anything more normal gig-wise. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    I agree.

If anything, Government seem less optimistic about this summer than last summer.

Last summer we had small weddings and foreign holidays.

This summer, they are already talking fairly negatively about the prospect of a foreign holiday.

However, I think that's more to protect against the risk of importing a mutation - because that risks our entire vaccination programme. So there is still a light at the end of the tunnel for domestic activity to pick up if we can contain the threat of mutations (although I fear it's already in the country and spreading).

On that note, I had an enquiry today for a wedding at the end of May this year! I've asked how many people she intends to have at the wedding. More than 30 and I'll be declining!

I hope before I do finally retire I’ll be back gigging!

The stats on Peston this evening are the first time I've seen data laid out showing what the impact of loosening restrictions would be against the efficacy of the vaccine.

In reality, even with a successful vaccine roll out, and even with a successful vaccine efficacy, the earliest we're looking at the loosening of restrictions is April, and even then it would need to be incredibly slow.

E484K is the new buzzword we're going to be hearing a lot of over the coming weeks.

I'm increasingly thinking this summer the best we can hope for is what we saw last summer. And even that might be a stretch

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm increasingly thinking this summer the best we can hope for is what we saw last summer. And even that might be a stretch
    I can't see it being as liberated as last summer personally....but surely they've got to slacken the reigns at some point (summer being best when infections and pressures on the NHS are lower) to see how things are affected, haven't they?
    Got to admit, all the talk of "don't book a holiday either here or abroad yet" has got me thinking this year's actually going to be a lot more restricted and cautious than last year

It would appear potential customers are thinking along the same lines too. I had a small spike of web traffic, enquiries and bookings at the end of January...and now things have died again.

Thankfully I've only got one wedding to worry about between now and June. This particular wedding is scheduled for 6th March and I have a feeling they're possibly being held to ransom by the venue until Boris makes his next grand edict on 22nd February (I'm still awaiting a reply to my last email about their plans but really can't see it going ahead).

Surely if the vaccines are reducing the risk of being hospitalised, and as was asked during the briefings this evening, the lateral flow tests could possibly be used before weddings....there must be some leeway to allow gatherings to go ahead to see how things go? We've got to start somewhere, haven't we?

But then...the way the politicians work we could be fully open and seeing arms held aloft again by the end of March when the priority groups have had their first shot.

So confused at the moment

I had a full year's worth of weddings booked for 2021, and at the moment it looks like my earnings are going to be coming solely from a supermarket delivery driver's job again - that's not a nice prospect believe me

I suspect the government were trying to keep things moving as much as possible towards the end of last year and playing a game where they were balancing economic activity and hospital admissions. However, that's now backfired and they've ended up with new variants of the virus because, if you allow transmission, you end up with mutation, and those mutations are now threatening the vaccination strategy. I suspect that they're now being told by 'the science' that they need to get transmission numbers and cases back to very low numbers before they relax any rules or they risk undermining all of the work that is being done to roll out vaccines.

Also keep in mind that the current 'lockdown' is barely keeping a lid on virus growth.

The way Boris dodged the question on holidays twice yesterday... He knows the answer and it's not going to be good.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Her we go folks, coffee and biccies time. Bumper Bundle. Can you tell I'm having a Snow Day?

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post

Realistically I’m optimistic for a return late Summer 2021.
    Define "return". I'd expect us to be running with a ceiling of fifty guests for a looooong time. I'd take that with both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I agree.

If anything, Government seem less optimistic about this summer than last summer.

Last summer we had small weddings and foreign holidays.
    Shaun, regular little ray of sunshine, ain'tcha? I hope you're wrong, too.
    Gavin, I think perhaps that's a result of realism and knowledge. Last year, it was unthinkable that this mess would continue much past summer. Now we know that last year's optimism was misplaced, and it's entirely possible that we write off 2021 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    I hope before I do finally retire I’ll be back gigging!
    Oi! Wash your mouth out with soap, you young whippersnapper!
    Seriously, I know colleagues who are countenancing never gigging again. Me, well I've tried to retire three times, and never made it stick.
    " Old DJs never retire, they just fade out/go round more slowly/witticism of choice".

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I can't see it being as liberated as last summer personally....but surely they've got to slacken the reigns at some point (summer being best when infections and pressures on the NHS are lower) to see how things are affected, haven't they?
    If not, then there will be so many venues closing, never to reopen, that life will be grim for all, not just DJs. There's a finite amount of time you can mothball venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I had a full year's worth of weddings booked for 2021, and at the moment it looks like my earnings are going to be coming solely from a supermarket delivery driver's job again - that's not a nice prospect believe me
    I'd like to post a witty riposte to that, but in all honesty, I feel your pain, so I won't. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I suspect the government were trying to keep things moving as much as possible towards the end of last year and playing a game where they were balancing economic activity and hospital admissions. However, that's now backfired and they've ended up with new variants of the virus because, if you allow transmission, you end up with mutation, and those mutations are now threatening the vaccination strategy. I suspect that they're now being told by 'the science' that they need to get transmission numbers and cases back to very low numbers before they relax any rules or they risk undermining all of the work that is being done to roll out vaccines.

Also keep in mind that the current 'lockdown' is barely keeping a lid on virus growth.

The way Boris dodged the question on holidays twice yesterday... He knows the answer and it's not going to be good.

Julian
    And at the time, that was a sensible course of action ( in my humble opinion). Remember " Eat out to help out"? I don't believe that caused a spike, but it did keep some venue's heads above water. As above, how long can you mothball an economy ( or at least travel and hospitality) before it withers on the vine? Answers on a postcard please.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk