Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we return in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    And THIS is the problem in my eyes. I really can't see normal this year (at the moment....it may change...who knows)

They're going to be "testing" nightclubs and the like in May (I think). Surely that's going to be a load of 20-somethings with no immunity, no jab, and Covid is going to run riot....ergo...we can't return (because those tests are going to dictate when we can work as normal again. Hopefully they'll think to test something like a 50th birthday where the majority of the guests have had the shot and see how that works out too?
    I learned the other day that the modelling and data they are currently using is based on 3 nights at a nightclub in KOREA

So far there has been little to suggest either birthdays or weddings are going to be used as trials in the near future. I know the weddings taskforce are facing a huge uphill struggle to get any answers. Realistically though, such events simply won't have any social distancing so may be a bit of a longer wait - I even think nightclubs etc will be safer than a wedding if looking at it realistically.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

The weddings taskforce confirmed yesterday that weddings will be part of the event research programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    The weddings taskforce confirmed yesterday that weddings will be part of the event research programme.
    Yes, but not sure at what capacity, numbers, venue type etc.

There are 100's of pilot events being planned but how many go ahead is anyones guess.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Yes, but not sure at what capacity, numbers, venue type etc.
    If 6,000 people are going to attend a nightclub in Liverpool across two nights, then I would dare say that a wedding at 50% capacity isn't that much of a stretch.

The important thing is that we're actually part of the game, and it's not like they're going to do a singular 10-person outdoor wedding on a windy day sitting on top of the white cliffs of Dover, because the only data they'll get from that is that Covid-19 doesn't spread at weddings. I would dare say that they'll push their luck a little bit and have a couple of 'typical' weddings, just to see what happens. With a test before and after the event, along with vaccines and track and trace, stamping out an outbreak would be [relatively] easy to do.

Personally, I think the House Of Commons should be part of the trial. Not in a Sceptical 'alright, you lot take the vaccine first' kinda way, but if you can reduce the risk of an outbreak with the footfall and available space in that chamber, you can do it pretty much anywhere.

Weird situation just now. I've booked a handful of almost 4 figure fee weddings for September (one dude is convinced he's having 200 evening guests) whilst everyone earlier in the Summer is slowly trickling in trying to push back to next year (again!) or cancel completely.

I can't ing wait to be past the guess work with what a wedding is going to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Weird situation just now. I've booked a handful of almost 4 figure fee weddings for September (one dude is convinced he's having 200 evening guests) whilst everyone earlier in the Summer is slowly trickling in trying to push back to next year (again!) or cancel completely.

I can't ing wait to be past the guess work with what a wedding is going to look like.
    I 'should' have now had my last postponement/cancellation due to Covid.
    Not yet deleting the email response I use though - 2 weeks ago I would say it will be all go from end June, now though I am getting really sceptical.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I 'should' have now had my last postponement/cancellation due to Covid.
    Not yet deleting the email response I use though - 2 weeks ago I would say it will be all go from end June, now though I am getting really sceptical.
    Blimey, it's being so cheerful that keeps you lot going, isn't it?

Simple logic dictates that there's a limit to how long you can keep parts of the economy mothballed before they can't be restarted. We must be approaching that in many parts of Hospitality. I'm convinced restrictions will be eased, but not all at once, it will be staged.

My clients seem to think that August is safe, and I have a mid June one ( recently) booked, albeit a tiny one.

Green shoots of recovery anyone?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Blimey, it's being so cheerful that keeps you lot going, isn't it? :
    Cheerfulness has long since left the building I'm afraid. I actually got excited tonight because I got to use the tannoy at work....a real life microphone!!!! It's been a while.

Simple logic dictates that there's a limit to how long you can keep parts of the economy mothballed before they can't be restarted.

We must be approaching that in many parts of Hospitality. I'm convinced restrictions will be eased, but not all at once, it will be staged.
    And this is the problem. LOTS of venues in this neck of the woods are starting to go belly up and closing down. It's actually starting to get quite scary.

My clients seem to think that August is safe, and I have a mid June one ( recently) booked, albeit a tiny one.
    I've got a lot for July. Do I think they'll go ahead this year? Hmmmm......

Green shoots of recovery anyone?
    Um....not yet (and I still remember that being said by Mr Lamont and going a bit pear shaped at the time)

I work as you all probably know with several wedding type people delivering online shopping (will this nightmare ever end?). I was talking to a photographer colleague last night whilst waiting for the shift to finally grind round to clocking out time and his experience is very similar to what I'm seeing at the moment (and this may only be specific to our geographical area....we're both normally very busy when things are allowed to happen)

There was a real spike in enquiries when the "roadmap" was first mentioned, and yet things have completely died again since then, despite deaths and cases dropping like a stone, the roadmap happening as originally forecast, and test events going ahead soon.

My website (and indeed his) is like a ghost-town and I can't remember the last time somebody asked if I was available for whatever they're planning on celebrating.

I'm not overly worried at the moment (unlike him who is looking at losing his house by next Chrimbo if things carry on as they are). I was lucky enough to finally get an ARG which will see the business through for a couple more years if necessary without actually going on the road. I'd much rather the green shoots started appearing sooner rather than later though because I'm getting really tired of driving a Sprinter box around for 9 hours a day

Expect the new buzz word to be T Cells... this seems to be the aspect that means the vaccine we are receiving will enable immunity against the variants, where the antibodies may be less effective against the variant.

I think over the coming weeks we'll get an idea as to the impact of the Brazil/South African/Indian variants that have entered the country and could spread now we're opening up.

I'm increasingly feeling the general consensus is becoming that this is something we start to 'live with'. I'm not 100% sure of my stance, but I am still fairly optimistic for June 21st. I think our biggest hurdle won't be the ability to work - I can see things opening up - but more how effective what we do is. I'm just not sure we'll get the busy dancefloors we're used to. After a whole year of this, I think it will take time for everyone to be confident about mingling in close proximity. We also need to see what stance people have with the facemask - how many will carry on wearing one. So, yes, we might be working. But the result of what we do may feel a little underwhelming and unsatisfying for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I was lucky enough to finally get an ARG which will see the business through for a couple more years if necessary without actually going on the road.
    I assume you're now also eligible for the SEISS Grant 4 that opens up later this week?

Blimey, it's being so cheerful that keeps you lot going, isn't it?

Simple logic dictates that there's a limit to how long you can keep parts of the economy mothballed before they can't be restarted.
    I am not one who is against the Government, or think there is any hidden agenda (and yes I have always voted Tory but don't shoot me) but I can't help thinking this is the plan. If you look at the support received, some sectors have been very well supported - in fact a lot have made a lot of money out of this - whereas others have received nothing. Also the reasoning for keeping certain sectors closed, and making others adapt is very questionable.

You can go to work in manufacturing, in crowded factories etc - but can't sit inside a pub for a pint after work ??

I will likely be wrong, but I think they are trying to change hospitality to a more continental approach. Sitting outside with a pint or a coffee instead of going out to get hammered as quickly as possible.

I can only speak really for the wedding industry, but where is the logic of being allowed to go to a marquee in a pub, with 50% capacity, 2 open sides - then the next night hold your wedding in the same marquee with only 15 people and 3 open sides ?

My belief is that we are the ones that will be screwed over - I can see come 21st June weddings being allowed, unlimited number BUT no dancing, loud music etc.

Hopefully I am wrong, but as yet there is little proof as to why weddings have be so severely restricted with no support or guidance at all, yet is the one industry where people really do need to plan in advance. You can open a pub in 24 hours, but can't organise a wedding in such a short space in time.