Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we return in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Will we return in 2021? I very much doubt the restrictions (at least the restrictions relating to events will be lifted any time soon). I'd go as far as to say I'm doubtful that 2022 will see a return to anything more normal gig-wise. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Totally agree, anything we do get will be a bonus.

I am still bewildered at how many DJs are saying they are not getting another job as will be back soon - mind you these were the same DJs that last June announced they were back to work haha.

I think this can actually be a good time for us all if we face the realistic future. I have now started another business which is (kind of) going really well. This will be something I will carry on after we do return (albeit will need more staff) to bring in a bit passive income and even start to set me up for a business I can retire with. I have heard some great stories of others who have turned this into a positive.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Anyone get the feeling we are going to be in for a LONG LONG LONG wait ?

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Never doubted that fact with all the recent headlines

I've planned for the business to be offline for the remainder of 2021 at least. Anything I do get to do will be a bonus in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

I've planned for the business to be offline for the remainder of 2021 at least. Anything I do get to do will be a bonus in my book
    Think there will be bits and pieces like last year, but realistically Easter 2022 is probably a good aim for anything like things used to be.

However, I promised myself last summer that if by March this year there isn't an end in sight, I will let it go - source DJs to cover bookings already in then that will be it, keep the basic kit but no investments etc. It is a business at the end of the day and not worth flogging a dead horse.

Boris, it is over to you ......

if by March this year there isn't an end in sight, I will let it go
    I do wonder how many DJs would be happy to hang up their headphones, except the only issue is there isn't a market at the moment for the equipment!

Think there will be bits and pieces like last year, but realistically Easter 2022 is probably a good aim for anything like things used to be.
    Now hold on there Musky! Easter 2021 has to see a relaxation of some kind, the economy, and the hospitality industry can't survive much longer, otherwise. As discussed elsewhere, I'd expect to see us doing sub fifty people weddings, with an early finish soon after Easter, and general ones by around August.

However, I promised myself last summer that if by March this year there isn't an end in sight, I will let it go - source DJs to cover bookings already in then that will be it, keep the basic kit but no investments etc. It is a business at the end of the day and not worth flogging a dead horse.

Boris, it is over to you ......
    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I do wonder how many DJs would be happy to hang up their headphones, except the only issue is there isn't a market at the moment for the equipment!
    Gavin, I think that a lot of DJs who have another income stream, ( especially if it provides enough to live on ) would be considering selling up, were it not for the fact that they expect to be offered peanuts for it. I reckon I've seen quite a few adverts for folk selling kit just to raise funds to keep going.

I'm not sure where I'm going to put it yet, or how to phrase it, but I have had a thread in mind about the ramifications of exactly this, once the restrictions are eased.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now hold on there Musky! Easter 2021 has to see a relaxation of some kind, the economy, and the hospitality industry can't survive much longer, otherwise. As discussed elsewhere, I'd expect to see us doing sub fifty people weddings, with an early finish soon after Easter, and general ones by around August.
    We'll find out tomorrow but, given that they're talking about extending furlough to the summer, I suspect that the roadmap is likely to show schools returning and limited contact between households in outdoor spaces in March, then non-essential businesses 4-6 weeks after that (April) and then hospitality re-opening with quite strict conditions in late April/May and more general easing much later in the year. Nightclubs - probably not in 2021?

For weddings, I'd expect them to able to go ahead with VERY limited numbers in April, possibly opening up to 50 towards the summer months, but I wouldn't expect entertainment as we know it to be allowed until nightclubs are allowed to re-open much later in the year.

I guess we'll find out what they're thinking on Monday though.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    For weddings, I'd expect them to able to go ahead with VERY limited numbers in April, possibly opening up to 50 towards the summer months, but I wouldn't expect entertainment as we know it to be allowed until nightclubs are allowed to re-open much later in the year.

I guess we'll find out what they're thinking on Monday though.

Julian
    And yet, they're now saying that all adults are to be offered the jab by the end of July

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141867

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm losing the plot rapidly but surely even if the vaccine doesn't stop the transmission, it's already (I think) being proven to stop or at least reduce hospitalisation isn't it? That being the case and the reduction of stress it's going to cause the NHS, surely we can be back to some sort of normal even on reduced numbers come the end of summer, can't we?

And if the kids are going back to school in March, what's to stop at least kids parties going ahead (within their class bubble if necessary and parents excluded)?

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm losing the plot rapidly but surely even if the vaccine doesn't stop the transmission, it's already (I think) being proven to stop or at least reduce hospitalisation isn't it? That being the case and the reduction of stress it's going to cause the NHS, surely we can be back to some sort of normal even on reduced numbers come the end of summer, can't we?
    This is the bit I find interesting. Already the most vulnerable in terms of are vaccinated, and we're not far away from all of those who are vulnerable being vaccinated - and then as you say, we're only months away from *everyone* being vaccinated.

You'd think this would be cause for everything returning to *normal*.

Now I'm not one to claim this is all made up and there's some crazy alternative motive behind it.

But clearly it doesn't seem to be as simple as vaccinate and return to normal.

My fear is that the scientists are more worried about the mutations that are already in the country than they are letting on.

Personally, I'd rather they were just honest with us about the reality of the situation - but I can understand why they aren't.

If after everyone is vaccinated this summer we're not back to normal, and we continue to require social distancing, then I fear we are years away from normality - if it were to ever return. I'm beginning to consider the possibility that the world may *never* be the same again (or at least for a few years at least). That then does become a game changer for us (and I'm not even sure at that stage what you can even do with £££k of equipment sat in storage!)

But clearly it doesn't seem to be as simple as vaccinate and return to normal.

My fear is that the scientists are more worried about the mutations that are already in the country than they are letting on.

Personally, I'd rather they were just honest with us about the reality of the situation - but I can understand why they aren't.
    Personally, I'd rather they were just honest. We're not kids (well...the vast majority of us anyway). A little honesty would probably help though.

Something to bear in mind too...if the scientists had their way we'd never socially mix again - there's too much chance of ANY virus/bug spreading. Whilst I admire their work, they're always looking at worse-case scenarios and how to stop spreading any disease known to man. Sadly, life can't work like that and there has to be some element of risk otherwise we'd die out as a species.

If after everyone is vaccinated this summer we're not back to normal, and we continue to require social distancing, then I fear we are years away from normality - if it were to ever return. I'm beginning to consider the possibility that the world may *never* be the same again (or at least for a few years at least). That then does become a game changer for us (and I'm not even sure at that stage what you can even do with £££k of equipment sat in storage!)
    I actually fear that after everyone's been vaccinated, a lack of return to normality will result in mass civil disobedience.

Eventually people WILL return to normal because let's face it, if everyone's had the shot then they're not going to believe there's any need to continue with masks/social distancing etc. I'm already hearing this from customers on their doorsteps each and every day. The current situation won't be able to continue because the public will become lockdown-tired and just ignore it. If everyone starts to ignore the rules, there's no way in the world they can be policed/fined/stopped.

As for the £££ of kit, if it's not going to be used it'll unfortunately mean bringing the "core" kit home for storage somewhere until it can be used again, and the rest going to recycling. That'll be a very sad day indeed, but once the scales of costs of keeping it vs when it's likely to be used again tip that far...I don't see as I have much choice but to cut my losses and get over it