Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Warning about Refund Requests

Default Warning about Refund Requests

Cancellations – just a little heads up. (well actually quite a lengthy post haha)

The past few weeks have seen me getting an increase in cancellations rather than postponements, with more and more ‘official’ emails to cancel.

Last night I received a cancellation email for a wedding in September (yes September) which I thought had been wrote by a solicitor. Very official, stating legislation (with links), consumer advice etc etc. Basically they were requesting a full refund including any deposit.

At first glance I thought ‘this is one I am just going to have to refund’ as genuinely thought it would be too much hassle.

Anyway, being stubborn, I sent my usual email stating that a cancellation in September cannot be classed as a covid cancellation and usual T&C apply etc etc.
    First thing this morning I received a reply and feared the worst – however the email was really pleasant (quite a few mistakes etc), thanked me for my help and they will be in touch with their insurance company to pursue.

Being curious I gave the couple a ring and talking to them, they have cancelled, went to claim off their wedding insurance and it was the insurance company who wrote the email on their behalf asking for all monies paid (including deposits) to be refunded. The insurance company stated that couples should ‘try to get refunds off suppliers in the first instance’.
    Quite glad I stuck to my guns now, but admittedly when I started off if I got such an official looking email I likely would have simply refunded.

So, be aware ! I am now going to be writing an email to my MP as this is unfair practice and I think insurance companies are needing investigated for their refusal to pay out, and instead are trying to heap the burden onto small businesses.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Being curious I gave the couple a ring and talking to them, they have cancelled, went to claim off their wedding insurance and it was the insurance company who wrote the email on their behalf asking for all monies paid (including deposits) to be refunded.
    Now this is the bit I'm confused about.

Why are insurance companies even entertaining a voluntary cancellation? Surely their response is, sorry, insurance doesn't cover a voluntary cancellation...

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Surely their response is, sorry, insurance doesn't cover a voluntary cancellation...
    To be honest, I've spent the last year trying to ascertain what wedding insurance actually does cover...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Now this is the bit I'm confused about.

Why are insurance companies even entertaining a voluntary cancellation? Surely their response is, sorry, insurance doesn't cover a voluntary cancellation...
    Probably because they know it will be quite easy to come up with another 'excuse' if people are a little savvy. I know a number of couples who voluntary cancelled and claimed every penny from their insurance.

Could also be the fear of come September the wedding not being allowed due to covid and they will have to fork out then.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk