Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prime 2 or 4.....do I or don't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    My policy is if it doesn't make me faster, lighter or richer I don't buy it - as cool a piece of gear as the Prime is, it's not going to do any of those.
    This. All day long.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Having watched someone DJ with one I have to admit while it looked the part, it isn't worth it's price tag for me. The size is also another consideration, particularly if you're used to using something like and MC6000 like myself.
    Size and weight isn't a problem (says he who struggled to physically lift his MC7000 in flightcase a couple of days ago....I'd forgotten how heavy that thing was!)
    In all seriousness though, I was looking for something which was going to be quicker to set up and less hassle (more on this at the end of the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    My policy is if it doesn't make me faster, lighter or richer I don't buy it - as cool a piece of gear as the Prime is, it's not going to do any of those.
    It'd make life quicker Jim. It was never intended to make me richer!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I've pondered upgrading to a physically bigger controller with more buttons a few times but it wouldn't bring any new features OF USE for the majority of my gigs. VDJs newest feature - stems - was worth updating to Windows 10 for though. I've been hammering that to bits in my practice sessions at home during this lockdown (as well as making shedloads of my own edits).

Ask yourself if what the prime gives you is really worth the money. You'll still need a laptop or SOMETHING as backup though, for when the prime eventually locks up or crashes at the most inopportune time. That, and you really need a computer of some sort to help organise the music database on the machine anyway.
    And here is the voice of experience from what I've been reading over the past couple of days. I didn't only ask this question here, but in a local Faceache group with a bunch of guys like yourselves that I know will tell it how it is (many of them own them).

I like big controllers with lots of buttons - it looks impressive to the punters (sorry....I'm a showman).
    I've vowed now to spend more time learning more about what the MC7000 is actually capable of because to be honest, I could run most of my weddings with a DJ2GO2!

The stems seem to be a problem though. I like the idea, but I'm getting a lot of fuzziness/distortion when using them. Need to investigate this further as to whether there's a firmware update I need or whether it's just the ageing Macbooks causing the problem. The stems aren't as clear as I'd hoped they'd be I intend to repurpose my old Win10 laptop (urgh) over the next couple of days to see if that improves things.

What I HAVE learned though (especially after joining the official P4 FB group) is that these things are unpredictable and appear to crash without warning. That alone has put me off for now.
    I'm sure one day they'll be the perfect machine....until then, I think I'll stick with a little more setup time and something that I know works!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The stems seem to be a problem though. I like the idea, but I'm getting a lot of fuzziness/distortion when using them. Need to investigate this further as to whether there's a firmware update I need or whether it's just the ageing Macbooks causing the problem. The stems aren't as clear as I'd hoped they'd be I intend to repurpose my old Win10 laptop (urgh) over the next couple of days to see if that improves things.
    Results can vary wildly with vdj stems, but I've never expected them to be studio quality separations. I was totally skeptical whether the sounds would be at all usable but I've been more than pleasantly surprised. Where & how I'd use them will vary. The age old 'context is all' is king here as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The stems seem to be a problem though. I like the idea, but I'm getting a lot of fuzziness/distortion when using them. Need to investigate this further as to whether there's a firmware update I need or whether it's just the ageing Macbooks causing the problem. The stems aren't as clear as I'd hoped they'd be I intend to repurpose my old Win10 laptop (urgh) over the next couple of days to see if that improves things!
    Stems work better on some tracks and styles of music than others. Thta was kind of to be expected, but they're not intended to be used to create an acapella version of a track, they're there to allow specific elements of one song to be overlaid over another, which will mask a lot of the imperfection. Firmware updates will make no difference, the feature is 100% based in VDJ and its done by preprocessing the track before playing so throwing more processing power or a different OS at it might make the loading time faster, but is unlikely to change the result.

What tracks did you try it with?

As a side.... If you think the MC7000 is heavy, you definitely don't want a Prime 4...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Stems work better on some tracks and styles of music than others. Thta was kind of to be expected, but they're not intended to be used to create an acapella version of a track, they're there to allow specific elements of one song to be overlaid over another, which will mask a lot of the imperfection. Firmware updates will make no difference, the feature is 100% based in VDJ and its done by preprocessing the track before playing so throwing more processing power or a different OS at it might make the loading time faster, but is unlikely to change the result.

What tracks did you try it with?

As a side.... If you think the MC7000 is heavy, you definitely don't want a Prime 4...

Julian
    Spot on Julian!

I've found that the more modern the track is, the better the separation. Some are scarily clean, when you consider it's all been yanked apart by a clever algorithm. It's witchcraft I tell ye!

I've purchased a Prime 2 for going back, need to spend some money on DJing this year. I was using an MC4000 as I find the MC6000 layout too clustered. The Prime 2 is nicely laid out and easy to use. In stand alone its a great backup and if I do any clubs it will be all I need. Works faultless with VDJ also and that is how I'll be using it.

I bought this for 2 reasons:

Its probably my last year as full time DJ, lost my love and lost my faith during 15 months off. So I wanted to have something that made me want to get out again. Plus I've been working on mixing better and this again makes me want to practice and learn.

Second is that once I stop, I want a nice setup at home and I'm part way through a project for both the road and home. This will last me years and when I set up the home studio will look well.

SO why not Prime 4 you ask. Price was too much, never really mixed on 4 decks even when I had them, weight for the road.

Hope that is of some help
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture