Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 2020/21 music

Default 2020/21 music

Hi all, been missing for a few months as my ridiculously old laptop suddenly wouldn't let me access the forum so I've waited until I finally transferred to my new one.

OK, assuming we'll be able to start DJing again later this year, has anyone kept up to date with music? I literally have almost no idea as to what music has been around since I last DJed in Feb 2020 other than a limited number of not so mainstream dance tracks. I tend to play mostly 95% standard party pop so no need for DJ subscription services, I tend to buy the Now albums and top up with a few downloads before each gig as I'm normally only DJing maybe 15 times a year (mostly lighting remember!). But I've not been driving anywhere near as much as usual and rarely have the radio on at home so to be honest I'd struggle to name more than 3 mainstream tracks from the last year. I've got the Now albums but not actually listened to them yet, but in theory I've got a job on 26th June and want to ensure I vaguely catch up before then.

So I guess my actual question is have I actually missed much in the way of playable music? I'm not particularly wanting suggestions of specific tracks (yet), just a general feeling.

Cheers all.

Not much, but a few to fill the early part of an evening.

No harm in looking at the Pro Disc tracklists etc and picking the best one's from each
    Nathan.

Mastermix recently launched a "bounce back" collection of stuff from the past year to aid catching up.
    To be honest, if the stuff that's on there is what I've "missed", then I haven't missed a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Mastermix recently launched a "bounce back" collection of stuff from the past year to aid catching up.
    To be honest, if the stuff that's on there is what I've "missed", then I haven't missed a lot
    Cue some grumpy Old Git suggesting that " all this modern music is rubbish, not a patch on when I was a kid".

I have continued to download Promo Only without a break, but as to whether any of it's a floorfiller or drivel, well I'd have no idea. I do notice that Boney M appear to be back again with Rasputin, which may lend some weight to the Old Git argument.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Same here.

I’ve bought the NOW albums over the past year to supplement my collection, but wondered if there are any key mainstream function tracks which I’ve missed over the past 13 months.

Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    Same here.

I’ve bought the NOW albums over the past year to supplement my collection, but wondered if there are any key mainstream function tracks which I’ve missed over the past 13 months.
    Ditto

And I haven't even listened to 107 and 108

Which reminds me I need to buy 108! And then rip 105, 106, 107 and 108 (I buy the original CDs as suits my way of working) and listen to at least 106,107,108...

Especially as I've got an actual DJing job turned up for 22nd May (30 people in open sided marquee in lovely big garden of a house worth a few million), although they claim they'll be happy with the classics.

We've lost dancing... (hint, if any of you've not heard it, it's currently massive!)