Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

Sidenote: Not that I'm anti-social but networking is over rated I've never bought into this idea that you should be pals with everyone in the industry and hopefully they'll fire work your way.
Blimey Jim, talk about setting them up for someone to knock down! I'll just say that networking ( and even random meetings ) have both been valuable for me, in more ways than just work.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
If I am honest, I detest business speak. I'm old-school and quite stuck in my ways. The idea of social media and networking fills me with dread. I only created a Facebook account because my job insisted that it was necessary, but I found it really useful to keep in touch with old friends via Facebook when I moved out of the area.
I hear you Brother, I hear you. It is however an insidious thing, which can generate work, and keep you informed. Can, not will.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
I do see the potential and I will use it as necessary, but most of my work used to be word of mouth and enquiries from people who have attended a function where I was doing the disco. I don't have that luxury right now and I expect the initial phases of this will be challenging.
Right then, just let me drag a few more of these round before I make this suggestion. Once I've posted it, there will be a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches baying for my blood.

To get work from recommendation and word of mouth you need to be in front of people, working. If you're not out there working, you don't get the work from recommendation.

There are sites which can help you to get work.

They're a little bit Marmite.

Until you've had work from them, and built up a recommendation, they can be a little tricky.

Right, just need a couple more before I say it.

Add To Event, and NeedaDisco. There, I've said it.

You will
be asked to provide ten hour wedding discos, with Karaoke and love letters for less than £150, on A to E from time to time, but you can risk around £20 to try it out. NaD is more of a long term animal, as it's not cheap unless you got in at the beginning. According to the figures, every pound I have given NaD has generated over £100 worth of work, that they know about, so it can work. It's not for everyone.