Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to start advertising, but one small annoyance ...

Thanks for getting back to me on this Marc.

I also just registered with a free Yell account and they also do reviews. Looks like this is the way now. Not a bad idea of course.

As others have said, paying for advertising is usually not worth it. Even stuff that works has a shelf life, I used to advertise on the Scottish Wedding Directory for £200 a year so I only needed one gig to cover it, I'd get 2 or 3 per year so it did make me money but no great shakes. Same with lead generating sites and those required a fair bit of effort to convert.

As mentioned, you really need some good reviews and keep them up to date. I've got 200+ on my testimonial page, it's practically just a wall of text noise BUT it serves 2 purposes - no one is reading all the way through it but it takes them seconds to see that A. I've done lots and lots and lots of weddings and B. brides and grooms rave about me. Secondly, there's rarely an inquiry that comes in these days when I can't respond: that's an awesome venue, click this link to see some photos and videos of weddings I've already done in there and the last couple who had me in there said this: "irfnvirbviurfbiurbf" Again this has taken years to torment and is really a labour of love.

Recommendations are gold. Tonight's was from a previous bride and groom and if I remember correctly there were no questions or back and forth it was literally - are you free? good take our money.

Can't offer much more info or ideas than that, I've always seemed to get enough enquiries and conversions without actively doing much to chase it except keeping my website up to date and full of content.

Getting started is always the hardest but if I could give a bit of advice is to shoot for as high as you can go and as good as you can be - my first proper gig on my own was an all day wedding. I still speak to that couple now and again (they became suppliers too) and to this day they've no idea that it was my first wedding gig that wasn't an agency walk in because I didn't present or price myself as a rookie.

Hi Jim.

Good (in a way) to hear that I don't need to spend good money on advertising. It seems that most people here are in agreement. The challenge is to get a good web presence via a website or social media and I am working on that. I guess it will be a slow start.

I never tried wedding fairs in the past but I have been tempted. Might risk one when they come around again.

I have had a lot of trouble getting started with Google. I am speechless over the number of mistakes they've made. I'm not Dutch, so please stop sending me messages in Dutch. The registration password they sent on the postcard is not recognised. My business name is not recognised, even after registering it with them. I can't get through to them on the phone. Getting that free listing on Google is not going to be easy but I have had more success with a free listing on Yell.

Kickstarting this is going to take time so putting out one or two free discos and charity discos should help generate some interest. I'll get a few cards and flyers printed too. It can't get any worse than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
    Good (in a way) to hear that I don't need to spend good money on advertising.
    There's a bit of a chicken and egg situation here.

The best way to get work is through recommendations, both from previous customers and venues.

Testimonials also help reinforce your success.

But you need to have done events to get to that stage.

The above should be a goal, but to get there, I think it's difficult without a concentrated marketing effort, which will likely involve spend.

My first few bookings came from Google Ads and Facebook Ads. I didn't have any photos, nor did I even own a single piece of equipment at that stage! But a well presented offer and great looking website made me look professional and established. Once the first bookings were in, I was confident to then go and buy the equipment!

I'd suggest avoiding wedding fairs like the plague.

I done a few, you'd make your money back on bookings but you were spending a fair amount of dough plus giving up a weekend day for the privilege. Really not worth the return imo.

Thanks Jim.

That would have been my first thought, but I know somebody who would attend lots of them. He always got lots of wedding work as a result. This was some time ago and I dare say it's a very different story today.

I think I'll base any future attendances to these this on the costs involved, but it's always useful to meet a few would-be brides and grooms to get feedback and ideas, networking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
    Thanks Jim.

That would have been my first thought, but I know somebody who would attend lots of them. He always got lots of wedding work as a result. This was some time ago and I dare say it's a very different story today.

I think I'll base any future attendances to these this on the costs involved, but it's always useful to meet a few would-be brides and grooms to get feedback and ideas, networking, etc.
    Was it a DJ?

As I said, you get work from them but the pay off compared to what you need to not only pay but the time and energy invested really isn't worth it imo.

Sidenote: Not that I'm anti-social but networking is over rated I've never bought into this idea that you should be pals with everyone in the industry and hopefully they'll fire work your way.

It was indeed a DJ and a well-established and highly successful one. Our paths don't cross as much as they used to as he moved out of the area and became involved with other things, but he's still going strong. If I could have half the bookings he has, etc.

If I am honest, I detest business speak. I'm old-school and quite stuck in my ways. The idea of social media and networking fills me with dread. I only created a Facebook account because my job insisted that it was necessary, but I found it really useful to keep in touch with old friends via Facebook when I moved out of the area. I do see the potential and I will use it as necessary, but most of my work used to be word of mouth and enquiries from people who have attended a function where I was doing the disco. I don't have that luxury right now and I expect the initial phases of this will be challenging.

Pals with everybody in the industry? Ha! I've made many enemies.

Personally I'd try wedding fayres before binning them off.

Firstly it's a possible foot in the door at the venue, get to see who the movers and shakers are. It's not what you know after all.....

Secondly it puts you infront of actual couples face to face. Granted the stereotypical wedding fayre clients are "usually" budget end but not always. Either way it helps get an understanding of what your potential clients are looking for, what they like about you and your product/services.

Thirdly it also puts you into the same space as other suppliers. I've got countless jobs from fellow suppliers as much as direct conversations. It also helps with brand awareness.

If I looked at just direct sales from wedding fayres alone I'd prob say it wasn't worth it. Would I say it was worth doing, 100% it was.

I don't do them so much now because we're known, we don't really need to and the most important reason is I can't be arsed getting out of bed early on a Sunday
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Thank you for that Deckstar.

Yes, I think you have swayed me into trying at least one wedding fair, or at least until we can get fully on our feet. Nothing is going to happen overnight. There are also a few wedding planners in this area, a couple of whom have shops, so I will be paying them a visit once the new business cards and flyers have arrived. I'm sure the local competition will be fierce but that's life.

I've already put out some feelers for a couple of charity discos and it looks like I will have something soon, so that's another bonus.

Google and Yell listings are now in place, but WOW was Google a pain to sort out. It took THREE registration attempts and even then Google were telling me to register for the postcard confirmation.

Slowly but surely!