Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: It's not happening!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now I see that quoted often, but many of my prospective clients ask if they can see pictures of my rig. ( Why they haven't found the dozen on the website, or the two hundred on Facebook, I know not).

I'm not convinced that pictures of packed dancefloors signify much. At some point during the night, we're all going to have a full floor, so a snapshot of the one time we had more than three people on the floor means little.

I could be wrong here, I freely admit.
    It's genuinely just something that never comes up for me. If anyone did ask I'd just point them to my intro video where it's in the background at points. If you're touting a retro, rustic or any other kind of rig I can see why they'd care but I'm not.

As for dancefloor pics - I've got probably 200+ pages of video and photos from previous gigs on my site and it definitely is something prospective clients like on several counts .

A smattering of dancefloor pics as you pointed out doesn't really mean much but thousands of them plus hundreds of properly edited videos showing them packed definitely shows it's not dumb luck or really selective shots.

Secondly it's quite rare I can't follow up an enquiry with links to media from that specific venue. People seeing lots of fun and dancing at their venue is a massive selling point if you're the supplier that's able to make it happen.

Now I see that quoted often, but many of my prospective clients ask if they can see pictures of my rig. ( Why they haven't found the dozen on the website, or the two hundred on Facebook, I know not).

I'm not convinced that pictures of packed dancefloors signify much. At some point during the night, we're all going to have a full floor, so a snapshot of the one time we had more than three people on the floor means little.

I could be wrong here, I freely admit.

Personally, I'd say a mug shot of yourself weighs more than rig/dance photos.

People buy people. If they see a natural photo of you smiling with a bit of a bio (not lifestory) I think that helps. Done right their first thought is oh he seems like a nice guy that I'd want at my wedding.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

For almost every venue page/blog on my website, there is (at most) one courtesy photo of the rig, but the rest are of folk dancing. Covers both bases, but emphasises the value of the music making guests dance over the production values.

For the rest of the site, it's dancing pics, with maybe a couple of awe inspiring shots of the rig in the background.

Photos of a rig with naff all else going on looks odd. If you're adamant to get a shot of your setup, at least put dancers between you - that'll show how it looks at a party in full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post

People buy people. If they see a natural photo of you smiling with a bit of a bio (not lifestory) I think that helps. Done right their first thought is oh he seems like a nice guy that I'd want at my wedding.
    One of my clients said they'd booked because of the bio on my website. I think it's fair to say that no one thing is responsible for clients booking us, so covering all bases seems wise.

Re our Scottish friends, my entire digital presence is down to the admirable Marc J, and my website is courtesy of another of his countrymen. Better stop now, before I go into full Blood Donor mode*.

* Listen to it. Still funny.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I haven't understood a word of what's been typed in this thread. The only thing I do know is take him up on this before he remembers he's Scottish. You won't get a better offer or service anywhere.
    I'd like to echo young Peter's sentiments. I'd be lost without Marc's help and guidance over the years.

Not everyone is as charming and good looking as you though

I agree, but if you are a multi op (like myself) it doesn't work, and even putting all your DJs bio on can lead to major headaches.

Agree though, rig shots are totally pointless to customers, unless you sell purely on equipment, and one dance photo looks the same as the other. Video is a little better, but if you are anything like me you end up taking video of the same song/s haha
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

Secondly it's quite rare I can't follow up an enquiry with links to media from that specific venue. People seeing lots of fun and dancing at their venue is a massive selling point if you're the supplier that's able to make it happen.
    Third party media is worth it's weight in gold.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Third party media is worth it's weight in gold.
    They're all my videos. They are however shot on near £4k worth of camera and lenses then edited in Final Cut Pro so not your usual wonky underexposed camera phone takes.

Just think if you were to hire say, a skilled tradesman?

What would you prefer to see on a site? what would draw you in? Pics of belt sanders and m10 bolts?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Just think if you were to hire say, a skilled tradesman?

What would you prefer to see on a site? what would draw you in? Pics of belt sanders and m10 bolts?
    Well perhaps not M10, but definitely M12.

Sorry Neil, I take your point. Problem is that in my Day Job I have many finished projects I could show off to prospective clients. A patio, a fence or a lawn. The packed dancefloor we had at that wedding is gone, never to be recaptured, and it's tricky to show proof that the pictures I have of it aren't from Wayne's gig the same night?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk