Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: It's not happening!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well perhaps not M10, but definitely M12.

Sorry Neil, I take your point. Problem is that in my Day Job I have many finished projects I could show off to prospective clients. A patio, a fence or a lawn. The packed dancefloor we had at that wedding is gone, never to be recaptured, and it's tricky to show proof that the pictures I have of it aren't from Wayne's gig the same night?
    Just the same as there's nothing stopping you ripping off pictures of garden work from someone else and passing it off as your own....

I think it's a really good analogy actually. Think about Pro Mobile., If that was on the shelves at ASDA, who would pick it up and give it a second look except for DJs going by the cover photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Just the same as there's nothing stopping you ripping off pictures of garden work from someone else and passing it off as your own....

I think it's a really good analogy actually. Think about Pro Mobile., If that was on the shelves at ASDA, who would pick it up and give it a second look except for DJs going by the cover photos?
    Ah no Jim, you misunderstand. The patios, fences and lawns exist. They are real, visible, tangible and I can get the owners to say who created them. A photo could be anyone's ( cos I don't know how to watermark, datestamp and fingerprint the blasted things).
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

it's tricky to show proof that the pictures I have of it aren't from Wayne's gig the same night?
    No it's not! Unlike you, I don't do socially distanced dance floors

Ah no Jim, you misunderstand. The patios, fences and lawns exist. They are real, visible, tangible and I can get the owners to say who created them. A photo could be anyone's ( cos I don't know how to watermark, datestamp and fingerprint the blasted things).
    Which is why I don't like stock photos because they stick out like a sore thumb and aren't representative of what you as a DJ can do. It's usually quite obvious when photos have been nicked too as they seldom all "work together" so your brain picks up that they're probably from different sources.

All of my couples get a page on my site after the wedding. It has their video, photos, playlist and link to a Spotify playlist with some selected "greatest hits" from the night. Once they give feedback this is added to my testimonials page with links to the couples page and the venues page.

It's time consuming and a faff but my photos and videos all have a certain style and there's hundreds of videos and thousands of photos across the site so there's absolutely no one going to look at my site and think any of it is misrepresentative, not my photos or not real testimonials.

My photos often include pictures of me, often include my rig in the background, and more importantly, are representative of the venues I enjoy working at.

There is so much more to a photo than just a few people dancing.

A picture tells a thousand words is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    My photos often include pictures of me,
    Ah. now here we have a couple of issues.
    Firstly, unless you've slipped the Tog a fiver, cajoled a guest, or got a tripod and timer, I find it hard to get myself in shot.

Secondly, I'm not sure I'm much of an USP.

PS. Wayne: Your card's marked son, ah say your card's marked.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Ah. now here we have a couple of issues.
    Firstly, unless you've slipped the Tog a fiver, cajoled a guest, or got a tripod and timer, I find it hard to get myself in shot.

Secondly, I'm not sure I'm much of an USP.

PS. Wayne: Your card's marked son, ah say your card's marked.
    A fiver! Never paid that much for a photo from the tog lol!!

Here's one of my favourite ones...

Name:  First Dance Introduction.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  44.7 KB

And this one was taken by a guest...

Name:  First Dance Introduction 2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  62.3 KB

Just to throw a spanner in the works regarding photos, especially of people dancing.

A lot will expect THAT photo to be replicated at their wedding. A full dancefloor shot of people with their hands in the air will be difficult at a wedding where nobody will dance.

I have even heard of a photographer getting a complaint as they were working with me again at a wedding, the bride saw an amazing photo I had, but the photographer didn't take that same photo (yes it was the same photographer too).

Personally I think photos are something which we will never get right as so many different needs and situations. Probably why 99% of DJs simply take rig shots.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Just to throw a spanner in the works regarding photos, especially of people dancing.

A lot will expect THAT photo to be replicated at their wedding. A full dancefloor shot of people with their hands in the air will be difficult at a wedding where nobody will dance.

I have even heard of a photographer getting a complaint as they were working with me again at a wedding, the bride saw an amazing photo I had, but the photographer didn't take that same photo (yes it was the same photographer too).

Personally I think photos are something which we will never get right as so many different needs and situations. Probably why 99% of DJs simply take rig shots.
    I've 200+, possibly 300 client pages with photos on my site and I've never once had someone say the photos / night didn't meet their expectations. Unless literally no one is dancing then there's always ways and means to get good shots of people enjoying themselves.

Flip it the other way:

Bride is considering me and DJ x.

We have similar prices, experience, rigs, feedback, communication and service.

DJ x has loads of rig photos, I have loads of people dancing photos, who is the bride going to book the vast majority of the time?

Now we're just getting silly.

DJ's put rig shots on their websites because they're too focused on gear and completely forget about why they're actually at the party or wedding in the first place. There are probably a few who do genuinely sell themselves on having something unique about their rig where showing it does highlight how they're different to the competition, but for the majority that's not the case.

If you're telling me I shouldn't put photos of people dancing on my website just in case I do one gig where no one dances, then that's just wrong.

Likewise, the photographer may have missed the shot you took, but the rest of the shots they delivered should have been a sufficient standard for that one shot not to have been an issue.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography