Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not happening!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I'll host it for you for whatever you're currently paying. If you're in contract I'll host it free until the term is out. I'll give you a free SSL (issued by Let's Encrypt). I'll also be able to iron out the little issues you're having, get it loading fast and maybe even working as a PWA
    I haven't understood a word of what's been typed in this thread. The only thing I do know is take him up on this before he remembers he's Scottish. You won't get a better offer or service anywhere.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

There's a lot to think about in the last few posts. Thank you all again.

I know your posts were well-meaning and designed to help rather than criticise. A bad choice of words on my part perhaps, but you'll see that I am quite set in my ways when it comes to web design.

I must admit that I don't always have time for a lot of this so I hope my posts are coherent and useful. I know I am rushing things at the moment as I am at the start of a house move and free time has become limited. We're lucky in that we can take a little time doing this so time is not that much at a premium.

Any time I design a website I start with a basic template. The reason I do this is because it's all correctly optimised and fully compliant, etc. It always starts out well, but then it starts to fall over. Ever find that yourselves, anybody? I think it still does the job but there is ALWAYS room for improvement and I thank you for your help here. I may often miss something obvious so it's all useful information. I just felt that the discussion was going slightly off-topic with the original subject being about the work just not coming in. It's always good to get feedback and to get to know people.

I am considering buying some stock photos but the danger is finding some which actually look close to the setup as it is. The current plan is to set up the disco in the new property while it's empty and try to get some photos and a video or two for the site.

I have always listened to clients in the past and stuck rigidly to specifications. I have come across so many discos over the years who only ever want to play their own 'toons' and say nothing on the mic., giving little or no regard to the customer. I worked for British Telecom some years ago, as they used to be known, who were regarded as having the highest level of customer care in any business. "The customer is always right." ... which we know is a load of nonsense, but that's the attitude I have always taken. When I was younger (16) and definitely foolisher I might have been different, doing my own live mixing, annoying some of the crowd in no uncertain terms: "Hey DJ, why do you keep chopping off songs half way through?". But that was then. We live and learn (hopefully). I was lucky one night in that I got spotted by a club owner one evening and ended up working in his club doing mix sets. I digress. "Listen to the customer and do as the customer says wherever possible." No question!

Now, testimonials. I have to admit that I have been tempted to fake them. Not to deliberately fabricate appearing in venues where I have never even visited the places. I haven't gong down that route though. I can't do that. My thoughts were to get in touch with old friends and see if they could write a review based on a disco I did for them years ago. i.e. genuine feedback but for a gig from back int he day. I still didn't go down that route, but I have to agree that getting some feedback and recommendations on the site is a must. I'm still thinking about it, but they will be genuine recommendations. I should be able to produce a few.

Yes, that writing is clunky. I'm going to have a look at another template or two. I don't have time to create something from scratch at the moment.

Social media, Google, Yell, website, word of mouth, a card in the local Tesco ... every little helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I haven't understood a word of what's been typed in this thread. The only thing I do know is take him up on this before he remembers he's Scottish. You won't get a better offer or service anywhere.
    You may have convinced me. but I don't know him from Adam. Are you saying that Scotsmen can't be trusted? ( I'm going to be banned for being racist now!) Seriously, I have zero tolerance for all things racist. It's just banter.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 26-07-2021 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
    Are you saying that Scotsmen can't be trusted?
    The old git likes to joke that Scotsmen are notoriously tight. But he's from Yorkshire where they really are all tight , he's just deflecting and can be safely ignored

Seriously, though, if you want to try out my hosting just give me a shout. It'd be a cPanel account and once the domain nameservers were changed I'd install the SSL for you. You can move it over yourself, or give me (FTP) access to your current site and I'll move it for you. I've been doing this for over 20 years with no plans to go anywhere, I host this site as well as many member's sites.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

SEO is an ever-changing being and one I never feel I should devote too much time to.
    Getting the SEO right is only one part of the battle and very important it is too!
    I'm not going to go OTT on SEO and stats, I think I can spend that time better by promoting in other ways, but each to their own.
    So which is it? SEO is very important, or not important enough?

There's a lot to think about in the last few posts. Thank you all again.

I know your posts were well-meaning and designed to help rather than criticise. A bad choice of words on my part perhaps, but you'll see that I am quite set in my ways when it comes to web design.

I must admit that I don't always have time for a lot of this so I hope my posts are coherent and useful. I know I am rushing things at the moment as I am at the start of a house move and free time has become limited. We're lucky in that we can take a little time doing this so time is not that much at a premium.

Any time I design a website I start with a basic template. The reason I do this is because it's all correctly optimised and fully compliant, etc. It always starts out well, but then it starts to fall over. Ever find that yourselves, anybody? I think it still does the job but there is ALWAYS room for improvement and I thank you for your help here. I may often miss something obvious so it's all useful information. I just felt that the discussion was going slightly off-topic with the original subject being about the work just not coming in. It's always good to get feedback and to get to know people.

I am considering buying some stock photos but the danger is finding some which actually look close to the setup as it is. The current plan is to set up the disco in the new property while it's empty and try to get some photos and a video or two for the site.

I have always listened to clients in the past and stuck rigidly to specifications. I have come across so many discos over the years who only ever want to play their own 'toons' and say nothing on the mic., giving little or no regard to the customer. I worked for British Telecom some years ago, as they used to be known, who were regarded as having the highest level of customer care in any business. "The customer is always right." ... which we know is a load of nonsense, but that's the attitude I have always taken. When I was younger (16) and definitely foolisher I might have been different, doing my own live mixing, annoying some of the crowd in no uncertain terms: "Hey DJ, why do you keep chopping off songs half way through?". But that was then. We live and learn (hopefully). I was lucky one night in that I got spotted by a club owner one evening and ended up working in his club doing mix sets. I digress. "Listen to the customer and do as the customer says wherever possible." No question!

Now, testimonials. I have to admit that I have been tempted to fake them. Not to deliberately fabricate appearing in venues where I have never even visited the places. I haven't gong down that route though. I can't do that. My thoughts were to get in touch with old friends and see if they could write a review based on a disco I did for them years ago. i.e. genuine feedback but for a gig from back int he day. I still didn't go down that route, but I have to agree that getting some feedback and recommendations on the site is a must. I'm still thinking about it, but they will be genuine recommendations. I should be able to produce a few.

Yes, that writing is clunky. I'm going to have a look at another template or two. I don't have time to create something from scratch at the moment.

Social media, Google, Yell, website, word of mouth, a card in the local Tesco ... every little helps!
    Clients don't want to see rig photos they want to see people dancing and enjoying themselves. In 500+ weddings where brides do care about the aesthetic I've had ONE client ask to see photos of my rig.

If the text is from a template that's why it's clunky, I'd ditch it and do it from scratch - you need to get the website right no matter what. If it's not effective then it doesn't matter how much traffic you get, it won't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    If the text is from a template that's why it's clunky, I'd ditch it and do it from scratch - you need to get the website right no matter what. If it's not effective then it doesn't matter how much traffic you get, it won't work for you.
    I've always found an irony within the DJ industry, that DJs proclaim to clients that they should get a professional DJ in, as to DIY their wedding music could ruin their special day.

But then insist on DIY'ing their website, rather than getting a professional in to assist with the marketing of their busines...

I worked for British Telecom some years ago, as they used to be known, who were regarded as having the highest level of customer care in any business.
    I digress, but which BT were you working for??
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I've always found an irony within the DJ industry, that DJs proclaim to clients that they should get a professional DJ in, as to DIY their wedding music could ruin their special day.

But then insist on DIY'ing their website, rather than getting a professional in to assist with the marketing of their busines...
    Very fair point. Not naming bodies but when I used to go to association meet ups I'd always leave thinking it really didn't take much to elevate yourself above the token "professional" DJ.

My site is DIY but I planned it for a good 18+ months before I rolled it out away from my old one and I've put literally hundreds of hours into it at this stage building and tweaking it. I had a very clear vision and I don't think I could have had a pro web designer nail it the way I wanted and have managed to create.

I know very little about SEO and next to nothing about the tech side of things but it works for me to the point I'm charging VERY close to 4 figures for evening only weddings. You're not going to get to this point without some serious graft.

Clients don't want to see rig photos they want to see people dancing and enjoying themselves.
    Now I see that quoted often, but many of my prospective clients ask if they can see pictures of my rig. ( Why they haven't found the dozen on the website, or the two hundred on Facebook, I know not).

I'm not convinced that pictures of packed dancefloors signify much. At some point during the night, we're all going to have a full floor, so a snapshot of the one time we had more than three people on the floor means little.

I could be wrong here, I freely admit.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I haven't understood a word of what's been typed in this thread.
    Now look old timer....if I can teach our mutually friendly "local" DJ dealer in a glass house how to run and maintain (and even customise) his own website (which has recently moved to a nice shiny new and faster server) - I'm sure I can teach you some new tricks including the terminology being discussed here 

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Not necessarily true though Gavin

I DIY my own website (OK, I've got years of professional web design experience behind me and indeed developed the first Microsoft.NET XML shopping cart to be used in the UK back in the day. It was for Spearmint Rhino in case anyone's interested ). Does that count as being a proffeshnial too 藍

Clients don't want to see rig photos they want to see people dancing and enjoying themselves. In 500+ weddings where brides do care about the aesthetic I've had ONE client ask to see photos of my rig.
    And there my Prosecco sipping friend in a hot-tub from a LONG way up North, I have to stop you in your tracks.

I DO get booked on the type of rig I can put out....a LOT. The "rustic" and the "retro" are prime examples. I have a page on my interweb site which shows the setups I can put out, and customers absolutely book me because of the aesthetic.

OK - I'm a bit different from most DJ's that have "an setup" of lights and a booth in that I offer several options to customers. I also go against the grain for the gurus that say that the kit isn't important. Sometimes though, it can make the difference between getting the booking and not getting it if you can be seen to be offering something that no-one else is.